No announcement yet.

Memorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the best with your dog WAM, been down that road too many times without knowing how you are feeling !

Comment

Originally posted by WA Mtnhunter View Post

He got out of the yard and ate a bunch of scraps at the neighbors, I think. The blockage seems to have passed looking at the X-ray, so we dodged the surgery bullet. I brought him home from the vet last night but he is still a sick pup. Thanks for your thoughts.
      Glad to hear that blockage passed. Hope he continues to recover. Ellie was in tough shape for almost five days. Started getting sick on Saturday, couldn't get her in to vet till Monday, and then Tuesday night almost lost her. She couldn't stand up. Got her to on call vet and she started to snap out of it in the office. By Wednesday afternoon Ellie was pretty much back to normal. Not a lot they could do but feed her antibiotics and hope she took care of it herself.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
        All the best with your dog WAM, been down that road too many times without knowing how you are feeling !
        Thanks! I appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post
          WAM: hope everything turns out ok, will keep Braveheart in our special thoughts.
          He’s much improved tonight but still a sick boy. Thanks!

Comment

The old boy seems to be ok now, raring to get back to hunting. Maybe Saturday for a limited time. The girl dog is going nuts sitting at home! Happy Trails

Comment

Good to hear all is going well WAM!
              Best wishes for a full recovery.

Comment

The old boy seems to be ok now, raring to get back to hunting. Maybe Saturday for a limited time. The girl dog is going nuts sitting at home! Happy Trails
                Good to hear this, what seasons are still open there ?
                We are in Nebraska chasing birds. 😁
                Thanks for the update !

Comment

Originally posted by springerman3 View Post

Good to hear this, what seasons are still open there ?
                  We are in Nebraska chasing birds. 😁
                  Thanks for the update !
                  Waterfowl is open until Jan 26. Then a one day veteran and military opening on Feb 1st and snow goose Feb 8-18. Good luck!

Comment

Waterfowl is open until Jan 26. Then a one day veteran and military opening on Feb 1st and snow goose Feb 8-18. Good luck!
                    Sigh! You lucky guys. I am looking at snow in the back yard that is up to top of Ellie's back ... and more starting to come down (just a bit though). Waterfowl disappeared before the first frost and grouse season closed at New Years, though hunting for them really dries up as soon as the snow falls. Pheasants in Montana are open till 31 December but I never hang around that long. Didn't leave till 12 Dec this year which is the latest I've stayed. I had to spend more than a week repairing the Jimmy. Replaced rear wheel bearing and axle then the brake line to back end blew as I was backing it out of the shop. Getting VERY bored now. Plan to be in NY in May to hunt turkeys with the gracious Fitch clan but that is a ways off. Maybe I'll have to travel for a spring goose hunt? But maybe not. That time of year it would mean driving through slushy road salt all the way to and from Sask. Not worth it to ruin my rig for a bunch of geese I really don't need. It's always a challenge dodging the corrosive crap when I come back from pheasant hunting. After I arrive the Jimmy usually stays parked in the driveway till April. Must be quite a sight for commuters seeing two dogs hooked together pulling me as I drag a sled full of groceries. Good exercise. "Mush you non-Huskies!"

Comment

He did ok, all things considered, yesterday and today goose hunting. He got one short retrieve today and did fine. Blessed

Comment

He did ok, all things considered, yesterday and today goose hunting. He got one short retrieve today and did fine. Blessed
                        That's just great! Bless you both.

How's his weight doing? Ellie lost more than ten pounds in about four days when she got sick with pancreatitis ... and she definitely did not have ten pounds to lose. Weight came back fairly slowly, mostly because I had to be careful for quite a while about what and how much she could eat. She is now eating everything and seems to be doing great. A real handful actually. Soon to be five and still acts like a goofy six month old pup.

Hunting is best medicine I think ... for them and for us. Pearl was still very sick that last year before I took her to Montana but she actually rebounded amazingly in the field after we got there. Even put back on all the weight she'd lost fighting autoimmune disease that summer.

Comment

I think he lost a couple of pounds. He acts like he is starving, which he isn’t. I may take him in and check his weight today if I go to town; a 24 mile round trip to vet.

Comment

I think he lost a couple of pounds. He acts like he is starving, which he isn’t. I may take him in and check his weight today if I go to town; a 24 mile round trip to vet.
                            If he's eating well, that's a good sign. Ellie's appetite dropped off to nothing when she was sick. Are you giving him the probiotic powder supplement for his food? Amflyer strongly recommended it (I think he is a vet?) after my vet had already prescribed it. That stuff sure must taste great. Ellie really works the bowl over afterwards. Can't get it over the counter, only from a vet. Made by Purina.

Comment

Tastes like beef broth.

Comment

Tastes like beef broth.
                                You know this how 🤔
                                A low sodium broth can be bought and watered down, I use it quite often. No side effects noticed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad