Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to train a shed dog in less than one hour.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to train a shed dog in less than one hour.

My daughter got it in her head that we needed a dog that would find antler sheds. I'm not sure what's the point, but I've got a bad case of cabin fever after this long winter (still snow banks here and there) so what the heck. It's something to do. No bugs or ticks out yet so it's a good time to be roaming the bush.

"Well, it'll have to be Ellie [my just turned four year-old Lab]. 'Puppy' [seven year-old Fr Brittany] is a poor retriever on a good day and old Lab Opal has never been interested in picking up anything that hasn't just been shot unless it's thrown in the water."

"Oh no, Dad, not goofy Ellie!"

"Don't write her off. I think she might enjoy that game."

And she did. Here's what you need. 1 energetic dog anxious to please that's already trained to retrieve + 1 assistant + 1 small deer shed + pocket of treats - any distractions (leave the other two dogs in the car and keep five year-old grandson on a short leash).

Step 1: Horse around teasing dog with shed then toss it a ways and give fetch command. Treat when it's retrieved. Do that several times till dog will run and pick up shed as far as you can throw it.

Step 2: Assistant keeps dog at starting station while handler walks out in field a ways and discreetly drops the antler in a hidden place (a clump of tall grass works well for starters). Return in a zig-zag pattern, release the dog, and work her up to the area of the shed till she picks up the scent and retrieves.

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 with assistant and dog hidden out of sight (behind vehicle works well) while handler hides shed and returns. Handler should walk around in circles and back and forth in the field several times before and after stashing the shed in case the dog is simply following handler's scent. Return, release dog, and work her ahead until she finds the shed and retrieves. Do this several times and she's ready to go find sheds on her own.

I eventually worked up to hiding the shed back in the swampy reed filled woods behind the field. Ellie never failed to find and retrieve it (but she did have some trouble when I hung the shed in a tree).
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 04-23-2019, 11:02 AM.

It will be interesting to see how she does on her own. Hope she finds a lot for you guys.

Comment

I recently read that the average dog has the mental abilities of a two-year-old child.
      This finding is based on a language development test, revealing that average dogs can learn 165 words (similar to a 2-y.o. child), and dogs in the top 20% in intelligence can learn 250 words.

Comment

Here is the link to my comment:

https://www.livescience.com/5613-dog...year-kids.html

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Obstruction Question !
          by bowhunter75richard
          Is anyone else being bothered with the ‘page 1of 1 (or such) and filter, being brought down into the comment section and not remaining in it’s upper...
          Today, 10:41 AM
        • Reply to Obstruction Question !
          by bowhunter75richard
          A rather perplexing issue isn’t SL ? After awhile you will start getting really heated up about it !! I kind of thought things were going along a...
          Today, 06:43 PM
        • Sealed Drags vs Cork
          by buckhunter
          Not sure I like the recent trend of sealed drags in fly reels. IMO nothing beats a quality cork drag. Quality cork is hard to find and sealed drags...
          Yesterday, 10:16 PM
        • Reply to Sealed Drags vs Cork
          by Solitario Lupo
          So many names for reels out you almost had me clueless on this but I understand that you like the cork washers for drags instead of a rubber washers....
          Today, 06:20 PM
        • Peripheral Vision
          by bowhunter75richard
          we all know that most wild life have amazing peripheral vision. But, how about we humans ? How do most of you equate your side vision when on stand or...
          Today, 07:39 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X