Opal under the knife today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opal under the knife today.

My old Lab Opal had surgery this morning. They removed three lumps from her head. One sprang up two weeks ago and had gone ballistic in the past three days and it does not look good. We will wait for biopsy. Daughter took her in when she discovered it but the POS vet said it was only an infected hair (baloney!) and didn't even take a sample with a needle. I took her back yesterday and after checking a sample under microscope the other vet quickly made room her schedule to do surgery this morning. The other two lumps are almost certainly benign cysts. I am very worried. She looks like Frankendog tonight but seems in good spirits. Keep her in your prayers fellas.

Edit: Just heard from the vet. It is worst case scenario. All three lumps were cancerous. But they are secondary tumors. We don't know where the causing one is located. The prognosis is not good. I guess we can hope for another miracle like Pearl had. Back in to vet's tomorrow a.m. to begin the search. Thanks for your concern.

Edit the edit: Daughter just brought her over (she stays mostly with Jessie these days). I think I found the "bad" tumor. It was hidden in her armpit. Easy to miss if not looking for it. We'll see what happens in the morning.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 03-26-2019, 06:05 PM.

Good luck to Opal and your family. I'll be hoping for clear margins and good news from the pathology report.

Comment

God bless Opal and take care of yourself. We will all keep good thoughts

Comment

So sorry to hear about Opal Honk and am hoping for the very best for her, and of course for you for your love for her, am thinking of you !
        BHR

Comment

Originally posted by DogGuy87 View Post
          Good luck to Opal and your family. I'll be hoping for clear margins and good news from the pathology report.
          The area was below her left ear and not a lot of margin to play with in there as far as preventative removal. However the vet was pleased to discover once she was inside that there was more margin to work with than first expected. She also said it did not appear from visual observation to be the worst kind of cancer (forget the name). Possibly not cancer at all but seems a distinct possibility that it is. It was an "angry cyst" for sure.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

Honker - Our hopes and prayers are with you tonight.

Comment

Went through something similar last year with my older britt. She had what turned out to be a fatty tumor on one of her teats, doc scheduled it that week when I took her in. Turned out fine, hoping the same for Opal.

Comment

Speedy recovery, Opal. Hang in there, Honker Hunter.

Comment

Sorry to hear this Honk, I hope everything works out.

Comment

Pete and I are rooting for good things for Opal 🐾🐾
                    You take care as well !

Comment

Best wishes and a speedy recovery, Honk!

Comment

See my update above.

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news. Good luck moving forward and keep us updated.

Comment

Honk I wish for you this turns out for the best. Good dogs are hard to come by and the loss of their company is hard to bare . My thoughts and hopes are with you.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                              So sorry to hear about Opal Honk and am hoping for the very best for Dafont Showbox Adam4adam her, and of course for you for your love for her, am thinking of you !
                              BHR
                              observation to be the worst kind of cancer (forget the name). Possibly not cancer at all but seems a distinct possibility that it is. It was an "angry cyst" for sure.
                              Last edited by ADYLATYSA; 10-10-2019, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Today, 10:39 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Today, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by Sarge01
                                If Virginia had followed through with their anti gun legislation you would have seen the start of the 2nd civil war in the US.
                                Today, 10:26 PM
                              • Virginia Gun Confiscation !
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                Virginia legislature has dropped it’s AR-15 confiscation ruling. They have now stated those who presently own these weapons can continue to do so,...
                                Today, 05:33 PM
                              • Reply to Pet Peeves
                                by fitch270
                                My boy does the "I mean" thing quite often, usually when he's trying to think of how to explain something. I have no idea where he got it from,...
                                Today, 10:21 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X