The old girl still has what it takes!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Springerman3_2 View Post
    Congrats on a fine day in the field with the old dog !
    If it truly is her last trip out west, it will be an excellent memory !
    I can't help but comment but when a bird turns into the wind the head should be your focus. You should really kill that bird every time, my late springer Clem taught me that ?
    Good story, thanks for sharing !!
    I already have one. My first gun from Dad and Papa fifty-four years ago last month.

Comment

Ellie's turn today. I planned to start home to Ontario this afternoon but it was such a nice day (sunshine, 56 degrees, and NO WIND) I decided to take a detour and check out a big piece of state and BLM land south of the refuge. Quite a long drive but it was worth it! Beautiful long flat draw with cattails, willows, tall grass, snowberries, and roses. It ended at a large meandering creek with tons of wonderful cover. The two governments now own all of that twisting creek for about ten miles. I could hunt it for days! Best of all, it was full of birds ... stupid birds too. Clearly no one has hunted them this year. Almost wasn't fun. Ellie set me up with a couple of BEAUTIFUL points in tall grass and it was overwith almost before we got started. She also made a fantastic retrieve on a cripple that landed a long ways across the frozen over creek in heavy cover. Bad news is I only had two birds to fill my possession limit so we had to quit before I could fill another daily bag. As I took this photo another rooster was crowing down at the creek behind Ellie. We pushed up about a dozen pheasants in just an hour (and one whatzit ... pigeon?). I decided to return to the motel and eat birds tonight so we can go back there in the morning and shoot a couple more. Too good to leave.
      Been waiting all year for that kind of hunting. There's a winter storm warning for late tomorrow so we'll have to make quick work of it. I should be able to stay ahead of the weather going home (barring vehicle problems). I have plenty of practice outrunning storms on Hwy 2.

Not a great picture. Sun was bright and I couldn't see what was up on the flip phone screen. I'll take the camera tomorrow.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
        OHH; I've always enjoyed your posts about your dogs, but you just made me realize how long I've been on this site. Numbers are one thing, but having followed a dogs hunting career something different. Glad she had a great day.

For what it's worth my older Britt will be 11 in March, the "pup" turned 5 week before last.
        Too bad for your dogs. Hope you find more time in the future !

Comment

I can't help but comment but when a bird turns into the wind the head should be your focus. You should really kill that bird every time, my late springer Clem taught me that ?
          Yes, another one would be a bad thing to have......
          So why do you have a second A-5 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
            Ellie's turn today. I planned to start home to Ontario this afternoon but it was such a nice day (sunshine, 56 degrees, and NO WIND) I decided to take a detour and check out a big piece of state and BLM land south of the refuge. Quite a long drive but it was worth it! Beautiful long flat draw with cattails, willows, tall grass, snowberries, and roses. It ended at a large meandering creek with tons of wonderful cover. The two governments now own all of that twisting creek for about ten miles. I could hunt it for days! Best of all, it was full of birds ... stupid birds too. Clearly no one has hunted them this year. Almost wasn't fun. Ellie set me up with a couple of BEAUTIFUL points in tall grass and it was overwith almost before we got started. She also made a fantastic retrieve on a cripple that landed a long ways across the frozen over creek in heavy cover. Bad news is I only had two birds to fill my possession limit so we had to quit before I could fill another daily bag. As I took this photo another rooster was crowing down at the creek behind Ellie. We pushed up about a dozen pheasants in just an hour (and one whatzit ... pigeon?). I decided to return to the motel and eat birds tonight so we can go back there in the morning and shoot a couple more. Too good to leave.
            Been waiting all year for that kind of hunting. There's a winter storm warning for late tomorrow so we'll have to make quick work of it. I should be able to stay ahead of the weather going home (barring vehicle problems). I have plenty of practice outrunning storms on Hwy 2.

Not a great picture. Sun was bright and I couldn't see what was up on the flip phone screen. I'll take the camera tomorrow.
            Oh golly, put the vest on the ground, orange side up and put the birds on the vest. They will show up quite well ?

Comment

OHH; I've always enjoyed your posts about your dogs, but you just made me realize how long I've been on this site. Numbers are one thing, but having followed a dogs hunting career something different. Glad she had a great day.

For what it's worth my older Britt will be 11 in March, the "pup" turned 5 week before last.
              Bring the dogs along to Montana next year. If I'm not here to line you out personally, I can get you set up to do it on your own. I believe you can buy three-day licenses.

Comment

Think I’ll have my hands full trying to score on elk, besides we’re flying in to Spokane so no dogs.
                Hope to line something up in 2020 with the dogs and the boy, but probably close so he doesn’t miss much school. We have three seasons left after this year then he’ll be at college, no idea just what that will bring.

Comment

I needed a magnum for geese and it also had chokes for the club.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad