Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One of my buddys just got a Lab pup and asked me to help him train it to be a duck dog.Any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my buddys just got a Lab pup and asked me to help him train it to be a duck dog.Any advice?

One of my buddys just got a Lab pup and asked me to help him train it to be a duck dog.Any advice?

Have him contact a local Retriever club, they will invite him to their Hunt tests and he can see what they do, and they can point him in the right direction, maybe he can find a pro trainer (good ones are worth every penny). There are many good books and DVD's, as well as youtube clips on the internet. I have a new pup too and he's 5 months old now. I can tell you that they already love to retrieve; that's born in them. How to do it so it will be a benefit to his owner needs training, plenty of bonding, love and attention and lots of patience. Meanwhile let pup be the puppy he is. They want to touch, chew and hold everything in their mouths, so he has to keep him safe from harmful things.

Comment

Raise the pup in the house. More contact with people the better. Work on basic obedience for now. Keeping the dog in control in the field is critical and essential and basic obedience will accomplish that. Retrieving will mostly come natural. Never too early to start playing with returning toys (tennis balls have worked best for me) but don't get hung up at this point on having the pup sit till released, blind retrieves, etc. Right now it needs to associate retrieving with enjoyable play. Work on the finer points later when the pup is hooked on the game.

Comment

Honker how do I get the dog to bring the duck back?

Comment

My sister has a Golden Lab and her Black Lab who died of old age.
          My sister is the only person that I know, where you can eat at the dinner table and the pet dog doesn't have its head on your lap, begging for food.
          She tells all her dinner guest, "please don't give my dogs table scraps".

She never gives her labs table food but she does buy expensive dog food.

My brother's dog is the biggest moocher. He will eat and clean your plate when your not looking.
          My brother feeds his dog table scraps all the time.

Train them right, when they are puppies.
          Good Luck!

BTW, Sorry, no duck hunting advise.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad