Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy a Lab puppy from lancasterpuppies.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a Lab puppy from lancasterpuppies.com?

Should I buy a Lab puppy from lancasterpuppies.com?

No. Buy a Drahthaar you will be so glad you did.

Comment

waul,
      You do as you wish.
      There are things that just aren't done. As Capstick would say, "Terribly unpukka old chap!".
      Paying for something sight unseen, especially dogs, guns, automobiles and orphaned children just ain't cool.
      Make arrangements to see the pups. You need to see them in an area they are familiar with. It's where they will show the traits that make selection easier.
      If a breeder won't allow you to come to his/her facility, don't buy a dog from them. They're probably a "puppy mill".

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        waul,
        You do as you wish.
        There are things that just aren't done. As Capstick would say, "Terribly unpukka old chap!".
        Paying for something sight unseen, especially dogs, guns, automobiles and orphaned children just ain't cool.
        Make arrangements to see the pups. You need to see them in an area they are familiar with. It's where they will show the traits that make selection easier.
        If a breeder won't allow you to come to his/her facility, don't buy a dog from them. They're probably a "puppy mill".
        When I'm looking over a litter of pups, I like to kneel down and see which one is the first to come to me.

Comment

Not unless you know about them as well as a whole host of other things. I just got a new pointing lab puppy from very good parents. I know the 2 brothers that own the dam & sire, and I hunted over the mama last year as well as saw the papa work too. A good breeder is ALWAYS happy to show and tell you whatever you wish know and see. Drahthaar? Let me know the next time you see a Drahthaar checking luggage in the airport. Labs are an awesome dog for home, field, water, and are gentle with children. Everything you give them will be returned to you 10000x. Except of course, that sandwich you left too close to the edge of the table, along with that stick of butter too.

Comment

I bought my French Brittany sight unseen from a breeder in North Dakota. His waiting list is usually more than two years but someone backed out at the last minute so I got the last pick. It was less than a year after losing both my son and wife and I was hurting. Wanted another dog to distract me. Another breeder in Minnesota who had just lost her son got on the phone and found Coral for me in a few hours.

And how has she worked out? Wow! This morning was another fantastic show. I shot my three roosters in about two hours and a sharpie to boot. The sharpie was a particularly classy point. I was finished with roosters and taking a shortcut to get back and see my daughter and grandson before they caught the train. We were motoring along in the open when Coral suddenly in mid stride did a Gumby-point (bent around in a "U") about ten yards away in the open. Locked up tight and I could tell she was looking at a bird right under her nose. Okay, get my feet sorted out, gun comfortably in front and muzzle about thirty degrees from horizon, safety off, and then send in the Labs. Up goes a "hen" but then it suddenly starts clucking. Whoa! Shoot it! Tumbled hard about 35 yards out and little Coral was on it after the first bounce (though Opal promptly took it from her). I bet I have seen a hundred beautiful points from Coral in the last 2.5 weeks ... and a couple from my Lab Opal as well! And I have shot a LOT of birds. Thanks to those two I dropped every bird I saw this morning. A piece of cake. Missed the first one with first two rounds and kicked myself. What the hell, those were EASY shots! Then realized the A-5's stock was shortened for my daughter. I adjusted (aiming low) and never missed after that (pushed up the first bird a second time). The pheasant numbers are WAY down this year but that little gal doesn't give the roosters much chance ... when I can find them. Even the spooky ones are no match for Coral. Her only fault is she won't hunt for anyone else. I sent her off with Opal, my daughter, and her boyfriend yesterday afternoon and was driving grandson back to town for a meal when I got a frantic phone call: "Coral's taken off after your vehicle!" Little stinker is tied to me at the heartstrings. Sleeps as close as possible to my head every night. Yes, I bought her sight unseen but I couldn't have made a better choice.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
              waul,
              You do as you wish.
              Eleven years ago the breeder brought Pearl and two other pups up from Mountain Lake, Minnesota north to Duluth for us to make a choice - after we drove four hours south. We met them at the zoo. Didn't take me more than five minutes to make my choice. Threw my cap and she retrieved it three times without hesitation. She was eight weeks old. That zoo was definitely a strange environment. Couldn't have asked for a better dog.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Liz Cheney
                by crm3006
                From WAM: "I’m betting the forensic audits will turn up facts that support the claims of election fraud just like Kennedy / Dem mob in Illinois...
                Today, 11:02 AM
              • Liz Cheney
                by rock rat
                I'm of mixed enthusiasm for the current split amongst Republicans. I do appreciate truthfulness and honesty, also supporting our democratic systems of...
                05-12-2021, 06:02 PM
              • Reply to How to
                by PigHunter
                Today, 10:53 AM
              • How to
                by jhjimbo
                How to get a fishing pole apart ?
                Today, 10:01 AM
              • Reply to Liz Cheney
                by WA Mtnhunter
                Trump didn’t incite anything but a rally. A few bad actors whipped up the frenzy that stormed the Capitol. You can decide who, what, when, where on...
                Today, 10:26 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X