Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For the guys that dog hunt,what is the best tracking collar for the money?Im not wanting to spend 800$ on a Garmin so any advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the guys that dog hunt,what is the best tracking collar for the money?Im not wanting to spend 800$ on a Garmin so any advice.

For the guys that dog hunt,what is the best tracking collar for the money?Im not wanting to spend 800$ on a Garmin so any advice.

A deer Dog Hunter friend uses TCK-1.0 series sport brand, GPS & E-collar. He tells me good up to 7 miles! No price.

Comment

How much is your dog worth to you? If you lose him, don't you want to find him? My point here is don't cheap out on stuff that matters.

Here's a $600 Garmin set-up with $50 mail in rebate and free shipping. http://www.cabelas.com/product/garmin-174-astro-320-t5-bundle/1863524.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtracking%25 2Bcollar%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSea rch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=tracking+collar

You can also sometimes find a better deal on eBay.

Comment

I used to run field trial pointers and setters. As my family grew, my time to run dogs dwindled. I still hit the grouse woods and the only collar I have seen work consistently is Tri-Tronics. I've had guys running their dogs along side mine and ask to use my equipment more times than I can remember. I've seen too many issues with other brands for me to change my opinion of my multi-dog Tri-Tronics. Good chargers, good batteries, good controllers.

Check out the website collarclinic.com

My opinion, best place to get a deal on used/refurbished. I personally have sent others there, and been thanked every time for saving them money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bioguy01 View Post
          How much is your dog worth to you? If you lose him, don't you want to find him? My point here is don't cheap out on stuff that matters.

Here's a $600 Garmin set-up with $50 mail in rebate and free shipping. http://www.cabelas.com/product/garmin-174-astro-320-t5-bundle/1863524.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog% 2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26f sch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dtracking%25 2Bcollar%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSea rch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=tracking+collar

You can also sometimes find a better deal on eBay.
          I know a sport dog is 400$ just don't know if they are a good collar.

Comment

Depends on what style of hunting. I hunt deep woods and the only collar I use is Garmin alpha 100 with a TT15 collar. The TT10 collar looses signal deep in thick woods (been there). There were to many issues with sport dog GPS trackers for my dollars. If you are going to get a used one make sure to get the good collar if you hunt in thick woods. A friend has the Garmin Astro and carries 2 controllers (one for the shock collar and one for the tracker). This is a good setup if you already have a shock collar and don't mind 2 controllers. He is getting an alpha 100 for next season after borrowing mine for a hunt. The fact that you are looking at a tracker means that you have value in your hunting dog. Otherwise just get a shock collar and a good bell for the dog and a loud whistle (acme thunder whistle). My pointer will range out to 200 yards. I use the shock collar part of the Alpha on a low setting of 2. It feels like a tickle. This lets the dog know that she needs to turn around and start to head back due to ranging past 200 yards. $800 is a small price to pay when you figure you will be using it for years to come. Buy a cheaper one that you don't like and use it for a door stop in a year or so and then buy the one you really needed.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad