Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most users on this website are dog lovers. My question is, in your lifetime, what was your favorite dog, ever. You could only select one pet? What was the dog's breed or was it just just a mute? Why was this dog your "lifetime favorite"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a chocolate lab mixed with a touch of rotweiler I think but he still looked and behaved like a lab. He was my boy he greeted me at the door everyday for his hug. He would sit on my feet until I bent over and hugged his neck and scratched his neck. He was about 110lbs so I had to or he would keep trying to sit on my feet. I miss him he was my boy.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter
      I'm not a dog lover and thankfully have no pets to take care of right now. However, my favorite dog ever was a feist/beagle mix my little brother had when we were growing up. 'Sam' was an excellent squirrel dog during the day and a great opossum dog at night. Besides all that, he was my brother's constant companion and provided him much joy and friendship as only dogs can for boys that age.

Sam was the size and shape of a beagle but had the intelligence of a feist. His jet black hair was so oily that water beaded off him in a rain or just after a swim. His major joy in life was to join us boys in a hunt as we relied upon his nose to find us squirrels. My brother could tell a lot by Sam's distant barking; "He's on the trail." or "He's got one treed." or "He's faking, and just barking to make us hurry up!"

If a squirrel hit the ground only wounded, Sam would be the first to get to it and then the fight would commence. Of course the squirrel didn't have a chance but would sometimes get in some good bites before it ended. Sam had one ear permanently pierced by a squirrel, with a hole all the way through as if ready to wear an earring.

We sometimes hunted opossums for catch and release at night. That was before we got our driver's licenses and started chasing two-legged game. Sam was excellent at sniffing out opossums too, waiting at the bottom of the tree for us to climb up and shake the poor creature from a limb. He would help us catch the opossum and then seem to dance around us in joy as we praised him for another successful hunt.

Several years later, Sam met an untimely death as he ran under a mortar box being lowered from the log truck. It was a sad day indeed. I would become a dog owner once again if I found another just like Sam.
      That's a good one, Pig Hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
        My favorite was a half collie-half mute back when I was twelve years old. Everyday this dog would followed me everywhere. Even while I served my newspapers. I used a shopping cart loaded with newspapers and wheeled it down the street because I had so many newspapers. They would not fit my newspaper bag. Her name was Beauty.

If I played sports with the local neighborhood kids my dog was always watching or sleeping laying nearby. My dog would shed hair and my mom wanted to get rid of her.
        I begged my mother to keep her and she said I would have to brush her every morning.
        Forty years later and now a cat owner but I still remember Beauty.
        When I was a kid we had greyhounds. My male would sleep on the floor in the living room while we watched TV. When he cut one it would empty the room.

Comment

I like dogs on a few conditions. They stay outside 100% of the time.

They leave me and my guests alone when we are outside.

They look nasty but are actually big wimps.

All of that said I like husky's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
            My favorite was a half collie-half mute back when I was twelve years old. Everyday this dog would followed me everywhere. Even while I served my newspapers. I used a shopping cart loaded with newspapers and wheeled it down the street because I had so many newspapers. They would not fit my newspaper bag. Her name was Beauty.

If I played sports with the local neighborhood kids my dog was always watching or sleeping laying nearby. My dog would shed hair and my mom wanted to get rid of her.
            I begged my mother to keep her and she said I would have to brush her every morning.
            Forty years later and now a cat owner but I still remember Beauty.
            Jim, its worst in the car when it's freezing cold outside. Everybody opens their window and we freeze for five seconds to let fresh air rush in to air it out vehicle. My Cats never pass gas. I guess they have more manners then dogs. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
              That's like asking which of my kids is my favorite. I had two consecutive Shepard/Collie mutts for over thirty years, currently two Brittany's. The second Brit came from the first, which was an awesome experience for the whole family. But she's only two next month so the jury is still out. Maybe I haven't had that lifetime dog yet, can't really say.
              F270, Good point. Pets are like family members.

Comment

Originally posted by UnclePezz View Post
                Mutts win hands down. Always smart (In my experiences), always loyal and gosh DARN are they healthy! More problems with "Good blood lined" dogs than I can count. My mutts have outlived all of them. Case in point, my dachshund (mix with terrier) lived into his 20's. We had to put him down because he couldnt keep hold his bladder. He could actually talk. No lie.

Now I have a rescue, (Sheppard/ridgeback mix) that is smarter than me! LOL!
                Most of our dogs were mutes. We had a mute named Queenie who was killed by a car. The family was grieving for a couple days then my father would walk in the house with a new puppy from the animal shelter. That was the best move you can do, for our lost dog.

Comment

Beagle, hands down!!!
                  When I was 12 years old, we had 7 beagles and one was my favorite. Her name was Bell and she was my best friend. I'd come home from school,do my chores including feeding / watering the dogs then I'd step out the back door with my double 12 ga and she would jump 4 foot in the air until I made it to the kennels 100 yds away.
                  She lived to hunt and she could bring a rabbit to you everytime or flush a pheasant, whichever you wanted to hunt. One morning I took her out and we were after pheasant,she pointed and jumped that bird and she leaped aND grabbed that birds backend and brought it right to me. I loved that dog and miss her dearly. She got old and had a hard time getting around. I came out the back door with my double barrel and she started jumping, I was going to take one of the other dogs but she looked at me almost with tears in her eyes and I just couldn't leave her in the kennel. So,off we went and she was so happy, she hit a rabbit track and started howling I stopped and waited, she was running that rabbit and her howl was getting close then everything was quiet. I waited a few and called her, nothing,so I went looking for her and found her laying on the ground all run out. I layer on the snow with her holding her and she still was smiling and took her last breathe. Probably the saddest day in my life. I'm 56 now and still think about her from time to time and she still puts a smile on my face. She died doing what she loved to do. To this day, I couldn't tell you the name of any of the other 6 beagles. That is why she was my favorite dog. Ive had many dogs since and have 3 now but Bell will always be my favorite dog.
                  I miss you girl

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlin View Post
                    I've never had one I didn't like and love for one reason or another.

The two standouts are the first lab-mix (Holly, my Sis named her)my Dad got at the pound when my sister and I couldn't tear away from it while looking for my great-grandmother's runaway terrier. I was 7. There were 5 kids, but that dog was MINE. Even walking my paper route with me for years. I was a freshman in college when they put her down and somehow forgot to tell me. I was home for a few minutes, looked around puzzled and whistled. My dad turned ashen faced and my mom burst out crying.

I've had 4 in the 18 years with my wife on my own. Three adopted as grown dogs. The one younger pup was hit by a car, but it's my current beagle (Flicker, not to be confused with his long time larger basset mix companion Flash), who I've had for 10 years now that has the number 2 spot. As a companion dog, he's lacking compared to some of the others I've owned. The lab and lab mixes are just better companions. But he was the first dog I hunted over and the first time he opened up and ran a rabbit I questioned why I'd ever hunted without a mutt. He's now too old to run, and I don't have a started pup, but he opened my eyes.
                    I'll admit it wasn't exactly a surprise she was a lab mix mutt and was just about 15 at the time. However, we lived in Philly and though I was living at school, it was 30 minutes from home at Drexel.
                    My dad was always ambivalent about the dog, and I knew because of that he felt guilty about making the decision. My only statement on it was, "I wish you'd have called me. I think it'd be easier for both of us if I was the one who made the trip."

Comment

Originally posted by mblapeer View Post
                      Beagle, hands down!!!
                      When I was 12 years old, we had 7 beagles and one was my favorite. Her name was Bell and she was my best friend. I'd come home from school,do my chores including feeding / watering the dogs then I'd step out the back door with my double 12 ga and she would jump 4 foot in the air until I made it to the kennels 100 yds away.
                      She lived to hunt and she could bring a rabbit to you everytime or flush a pheasant, whichever you wanted to hunt. One morning I took her out and we were after pheasant,she pointed and jumped that bird and she leaped aND grabbed that birds backend and brought it right to me. I loved that dog and miss her dearly. She got old and had a hard time getting around. I came out the back door with my double barrel and she started jumping, I was going to take one of the other dogs but she looked at me almost with tears in her eyes and I just couldn't leave her in the kennel. So,off we went and she was so happy, she hit a rabbit track and started howling I stopped and waited, she was running that rabbit and her howl was getting close then everything was quiet. I waited a few and called her, nothing,so I went looking for her and found her laying on the ground all run out. I layer on the snow with her holding her and she still was smiling and took her last breathe. Probably the saddest day in my life. I'm 56 now and still think about her from time to time and she still puts a smile on my face. She died doing what she loved to do. To this day, I couldn't tell you the name of any of the other 6 beagles. That is why she was my favorite dog. Ive had many dogs since and have 3 now but Bell will always be my favorite dog.
                      I miss you girl
                      Thanks for sharing that.

Comment

German Shepherd. They are some of the most powerful, clever and yet loving dogs out there...there is a reason police officers around the country work with and rely on them! I think they are consistently ranked among the top 5 smartest breeds of dogs, too!

Comment

Oh gee mine would be a ........springer For the last 24 years over two of them ( Gabe & Clem ) I have had excellant hunting and family dogs. They did not get along when they were in their prime but the day before Gabe died I got a photo of them laying together on a dog pillow. Clem is now almost 15 ( Dec 5 ) and hips are failing. He will most likely not hunt this fall Pete his replacement ( age 4 ) is still a little rough but will end up being a good dog I am confident.

Comment

Being only 23 years old, I haven't had many dogs. However, I love dogs to the extent my girlfriend is convince I would leave her if she wouldn't allow me to get another pup (and there's some truth to that.)

We had a german Shorthaired pointer, Wishbone, when I was a kid and I thought it was just the coolest animal. Looking back now that dog was a mess. She had very little leash manners and wouldn't listen much outside of the house.

I just bought an australian shepherd pup not 7 months ago, his name is Merle. Ole' boy Merle is the new benchmark for a dog that I will ever own. He's in training to become a Shed antler dog and he is just so intelligent and well mannered for a pup.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How to
                              by Solitario Lupo
                              Soak it water. Then twist and pull. If really stuck get some soap in between twist and pull....
                              Today, 11:24 AM
                            • How to
                              by jhjimbo
                              How to get a fishing pole apart ?
                              Today, 10:01 AM
                            • Reply to They thought of everything.
                              by crm3006
                              Ya'll are missing the main issue here. Yes, there were a lot of fraudulent votes cast. Yes, there was a lot of illegal bribe money spent, and ballot harvesting...
                              Today, 11:13 AM
                            • They thought of everything.
                              by jhjimbo
                              This is how a ballot forensic exam is conducted. Sounds very complete.

The ballot is taken to a forensic scanning station to test...
                              05-03-2021, 10:26 AM
                            • Reply to Liz Cheney
                              by crm3006
                              From WAM: "I’m betting the forensic audits will turn up facts that support the claims of election fraud just like Kennedy / Dem mob in Illinois...
                              Today, 11:02 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X