Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a hunting friend who feeds his bird dog an ice cream cone every night at eight O'Clock. The dog knows when it's time for his ice cream cone.Is this bad for the dog's health to feed him sweets or junk food every night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
    What, me worry?
    Agreed, and I love the dog's eyes just waiting for the OK from his master. LOL

Comment

Can dogs even get cavities from sugar ? Or is that a human affliction.

Comment

I knew a lot whose golden would get excited at the sight of the "Golden Arches" of McDonald's because he'd always get an ice cream cone there!

Comment

My eldest's dog ate a whole package of oatmeal raisin cookies. Never fazed him. Next, he got a hold of a box of chocolates! A little diarrhea was all.
          Then I caught him eating mouse baits! Hydrogen peroxide until he puked then vitamin K for 2 weeks so he wouldn't bleed out!
          I swear he's worse than a billy goat!

Comment

Sugar treats weren't even built around human anatomy. Anthropologists have been able to date exactly when during the course of our evolution we started cultivating crops. That's when skeletal remains started showing tooth decay before the deceased expired from old age (or what was old age at that time).

Feeding a dog ice cream on a regular basis will lead to at least two health concerns: overweight and tooth decay. My dogs get the odd treat but nothing regular. They do regularly get rawhide to chew on for tartar control. Incidentally, worse for tartar build up than ice cream is soft dog food. That crap should be illegal.

Comment

Sugar treats weren't even built around human anatomy. Anthropologists have been able to date exactly when during the course of our evolution we started cultivating crops. That's when skeletal remains started showing tooth decay before the deceased expired from old age (or what was old age at that time).

Feeding a dog ice cream on a regular basis will lead to at least two health concerns: overweight and tooth decay. My dogs get the odd treat but nothing regular. They do regularly get rawhide to chew on for tartar control. Incidentally, worse for tartar build up than ice cream is soft dog food. That crap should be illegal.

Comment

Calling you out OH:
                "That's when skeletal remains started showing tooth decay before the deceased expired from old age (or what was old age at that time)."

I think you have the correlation wrong. When people started cultivating crops we started living longer than we would scrounging around hunting and gathering them.

People have been chewing sugar cane well before the 8th century BC and primates and other animals well before that.

Not to mention that early's people diets were usually gritty and sandy enough that it wore down their teeth way before what we think of as tooth decay ever could. You couldn't eat so you died.

Incidentally, soft serve can vary a lot it's more likely that it's made from High Fructose corn syrup minimal dairy fat and air than most ice cream. Wolves can and do eat plants in the wild meaning they can digest fructose. ~5% of their diet. So...

Not an everyday treat...but what someone feeds their dog is their business...

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                  Calling you out OH:
                  "That's when skeletal remains started showing tooth decay before the deceased expired from old age (or what was old age at that time)."

I think you have the correlation wrong. When people started cultivating crops we started living longer than we would scrounging around hunting and gathering them.

People have been chewing sugar cane well before the 8th century BC and primates and other animals well before that.

Not to mention that early's people diets were usually gritty and sandy enough that it wore down their teeth way before what we think of as tooth decay ever could. You couldn't eat so you died.

Incidentally, soft serve can vary a lot it's more likely that it's made from High Fructose corn syrup minimal dairy fat and air than most ice cream. Wolves can and do eat plants in the wild meaning they can digest fructose. ~5% of their diet. So...

The big breakthrough with cultivation of crops that had the most profound impact on human evolution was cereals. No doubt other crops were cultivated before cereals were domesticated but in most places the produce was seasonal. However, cereals could be stored through the leaner or colder seasons which allowed humans to consume starch pretty much year round. It was this continuous year round consumption of starch, which essentially starts turning to sugar in the mouth rather than the gut, that led to increased dental failure and not just in the elderly. Skeletal remains of children after the advent of cereal cultivation showed much more tooth decay than those of earlier times.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Dogs also can become diabetic.

Comment

Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

Dogs need to have their teeth cleaned deep down in the gums. That is where the spirochetes live that infect the teeth and cause the odor. Not treated the infection will loosen the tooth and dissolve the bone.
                      It is like a bacteria, looks like a little coil spring. Another bacteria that lives there and does damage is Leptosphiresis Acididophilus(sp). The spirochetes are the same buggers that causes syphilis in humans.

Comment

Originally posted by RockySquirrel View Post
                        Can dogs even get cavities from sugar ? Or is that a human affliction.
                        Dogs can get tooth decay and all other human tooth and gum diseases.
                        Persistent gum disease will loosen the tooth and may even get the infection in the blood, just like in humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post
                          Calling you out OH:

Actually, the development of agriculture brought about a substantial drop in life expectancy compared to hunter-gatherer society. This is attributed to a number of factors, including the fact that living in the same place, together with increased population density and domestication increased disease risk.

Studies of skeletal remains have also shown a decline in health, including increased incidence of degenerative joint disease, tooth decay, indicators of anaemia, and indicators of malnutrition.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone609 View Post
                            I'm pretty careful of what I feed my dog. Avocado, alcohol, raisins, onion, walnuts, grapes, mushrooms, caffeine, xylitol (something in gum and some candy) and chocolate can all be pretty dangerous for dogs (or so I've been told). As far as occasional ice cream goes, I doubt it would be that bad, but every night might cause some health problems, not to mention probably some bad diarrhea from all the dairy. With all that said, I'm not a veterinarian so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. My dog absolutely loves watermelon and apples, so maybe switch from ice cream to apples? Below is my lab, Boone, with his "gimme some food" face.
                            My sister's Yellow Lab likes carrots and broccoli..

Comment

"On a hot day, it may be tempting to share your ice cream cone with your dog. But if he could, he'd thank you for not doing so. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset, as well as setup food allergies (which often show up as itchiness)."So i say yes and no!!!!

Comment

"On a hot day, it may be tempting to share your ice cream cone with your dog. But if he could, he'd thank you for not doing so. Milk and milk-based products can cause diarrhea and other digestive upset, as well as setup food allergies (which often show up as itchiness)."So i say yes and no!!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad