Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a hunting friend who feeds his bird dog an ice cream cone every night at eight O'Clock. The dog knows when it's time for his ice cream cone.Is this bad for the dog's health to feed him sweets or junk food every night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a hunting friend who feeds his bird dog an ice cream cone every night at eight O'Clock. The dog knows when it's time for his ice cream cone.Is this bad for the dog's health to feed him sweets or junk food every night?

I have a hunting friend who feeds his bird dog an ice cream cone every night at eight O'Clock. The dog knows when it's time for his ice cream cone. Is this bad for the dog's health to feed him sweets or junk food every night?

My friend Mike never gives his dog chocolate ice cream.
    This photo is not Mike's dog. I found it online.
    Attached Files

Comment

I'm pretty careful of what I feed my dog. Avocado, alcohol, raisins, onion, walnuts, grapes, mushrooms, caffeine, xylitol (something in gum and some candy) and chocolate can all be pretty dangerous for dogs (or so I've been told). As far as occasional ice cream goes, I doubt it would be that bad, but every night might cause some health problems, not to mention probably some bad diarrhea from all the dairy. With all that said, I'm not a veterinarian so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. My dog absolutely loves watermelon and apples, so maybe switch from ice cream to apples? Below is my lab, Boone, with his "gimme some food" face.
      Attached Files

Comment

Not good as a every Day Treat, I have a friend that lets his Dog lick Ice cream off a dish and waits for is face to be wiped after his treat!

JMO~ Sugar Treats were built around the Human Anatomy, Not Dogs Anatomy.

Comment

Not good because of the sugar and fat. Maybe as a special treat weekly but that is about it.

I can have ice cream every night but that is because I am driving.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone609 View Post
            I'm pretty careful of what I feed my dog. Avocado, alcohol, raisins, onion, walnuts, grapes, mushrooms, caffeine, xylitol (something in gum and some candy) and chocolate can all be pretty dangerous for dogs (or so I've been told). As far as occasional ice cream goes, I doubt it would be that bad, but every night might cause some health problems, not to mention probably some bad diarrhea from all the dairy. With all that said, I'm not a veterinarian so take it with a grain of salt I suppose. My dog absolutely loves watermelon and apples, so maybe switch from ice cream to apples? Below is my lab, Boone, with his "gimme some food" face.
            Hard to refuse that face. There are some good treats out there however, people with show dogs will NOT use those treats made in China.

Comment

What, me worry?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                What, me worry?
                That's a funny one. I bet he eats hot dog before it hits the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
                  My friend Mike never gives his dog chocolate ice cream.
                  This photo is not Mike's dog. I found it online.
                  This looks like Honker's black lab.

Comment

It's incredibly bad for the dog. It will cause fatty deposits to build on the dogs liver. It can lead to a very painful slow death for a dog. I have a lab beagle mix that my wife and kids feed scraps to all time. She overweight now. It took the vet chewing my wife out to get her to listen.

Comment

Oh my lord that looks like my chocolate lab I had to get rid of. It breaks heart to think about. He was am escape artist he was costing me a fortune. In pound fees. He finally had to go 280 a week was just to much for me at the time. But they have exactly the same feede face.

Comment

My wife gives our dog "frosty paws" it it ice cream for dogs. It comes in single serve cups and my dog goes crazy for them.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                          What, me worry?
                          JUST waiting for the Command....NOW!....NOW!

Comment

If the dog is in the peak of fitness, who could argue this strategy. However, generally this is not a good idea. Also, speaking of fitness, many dog owners have overweight dogs that they think are in good shape.

Comment

What Lab doesn't have that feed me face?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad