Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ontario Honker said in my other dog post, that he gives his dogs a rawhide treat to chew on. My sister's Veterinarian said rawhides are bad for dogs. My sister has a yellow Lab. I did some checking and found this called the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ontario Honker said in my other dog post, that he gives his dogs a rawhide treat to chew on. My sister's Veterinarian said rawhides are bad for dogs. My sister has a yellow Lab. I did some checking and found this called the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Ontario Honker said in my other dog post, that he gives his dogs a rawhide treat to chew on. My sister's Veterinarian said rawhides are bad for dogs. My sister has a yellow Lab. I did some checking and found this called the Good, the Bad and the Ugly on rawhides. See my first post. Any comments?

From a another website.

The Good:

· It promotes healthy gums and teeth in dogs. As the rawhide chews get moistened, it tends to wrap around your pooch’s teeth; rubbing off any plaque buildup which in turn reduce his risk of acquiring serious dental problems.

· It prevents dogs from chewing valuable items at home. Because rawhide chews can keep your pooch busy for several hours, you can keep your clothing, furniture, and other belongings from being chewed on.

· It relieves teething pain that most puppies struggle with. When puppies start gnawing on rawhide chews, they tend to feel less pain as their teeth push through. Besides, rawhides help them in developing strong jaws.

· Your dog will likely love them. A lot of pet owners ignore the downsides to rawhide treats when the see the pure joy of a dog with a fresh, new chew. While there are some Pros to rawhide treats, careful selection and proper use are still vitally important.

The Bad:

· It can be a choking a hazard. Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger. To avoid this, immediately take the rawhide away as soon as it becomes small enough to be swallowed whole.

· It can cause digestive blockage. Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.

· It can cause gastrointestinal problems. If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications.

· Not all rawhides are safe to eat. Several reports have revealed that rawhides which have been produced outside USA were made from toxic chemicals. Try to be selective when it comes to buying rawhide. Look very closely where it was manufactured and only choose rawhides made in the USA.

The Ugly:

· Some rawhides contain deadly poisons. The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde.

· Some rawhides contain the skin from dogs. An investigation by Humane Society International stated in their report, “In a particularly grisly twist, the skins of brutally slaughtered dogs in Thailand are mixed with other bits of skin to produce rawhide chew toys for pet dogs. Manufacturers told investigators that these chew toys are regularly exported to and sold in U.S. stores.”

Ultimately, the choice is yours. But, remember, you’re choosing for your dog. It’s likely that if he could educate himself on what he was eating, he’d choose a safer, healthier alternative.

Comment

My dog has never cared for rawhide, she gets her chewing aggression out on sticks in the yard. I tried to correct this when she was a puppy because I had heard it could cause a blockage but at 8.5 years old she still acts more like a beaver then dog. As for treats and food everything she eats is from the USA my wife even bakes her a whole chicken with rice every Sunday for the week.

Comment

I give them raw bones. Keeps their teeth clean and healthy, keeps them amused.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Devine View Post
          From a another website.

The Good:

· It promotes healthy gums and teeth in dogs. As the rawhide chews get moistened, it tends to wrap around your pooch’s teeth; rubbing off any plaque buildup which in turn reduce his risk of acquiring serious dental problems.

· It prevents dogs from chewing valuable items at home. Because rawhide chews can keep your pooch busy for several hours, you can keep your clothing, furniture, and other belongings from being chewed on.

· It relieves teething pain that most puppies struggle with. When puppies start gnawing on rawhide chews, they tend to feel less pain as their teeth push through. Besides, rawhides help them in developing strong jaws.

· Your dog will likely love them. A lot of pet owners ignore the downsides to rawhide treats when the see the pure joy of a dog with a fresh, new chew. While there are some Pros to rawhide treats, careful selection and proper use are still vitally important.

The Bad:

· It can be a choking a hazard. Once your dog swallows a tiny, broken piece of rawhide, that portion can get lodged in his throat; putting him in serious danger. To avoid this, immediately take the rawhide away as soon as it becomes small enough to be swallowed whole.

· It can cause digestive blockage. Allowing your pooch to swallow a large piece of rawhide can also endanger his life. Rawhides can expand inside Fido’s stomach, putting him at risk of a fatal blockage. It can even wrap around his intestines, causing the same obstruction.

· It can cause gastrointestinal problems. If your pooch ingests too many rawhides, he may develop gastrointestinal complications.

· Not all rawhides are safe to eat. Several reports have revealed that rawhides which have been produced outside USA were made from toxic chemicals. Try to be selective when it comes to buying rawhide. Look very closely where it was manufactured and only choose rawhides made in the USA.

The Ugly:

· Some rawhides contain deadly poisons. The process of making rawhide involves chemically separating the outer layer of skin (usually of a cow) from the hide. This process leaves deadly poisons in the chew, including arsenic and formaldehyde.

· Some rawhides contain the skin from dogs. An investigation by Humane Society International stated in their report, “In a particularly grisly twist, the skins of brutally slaughtered dogs in Thailand are mixed with other bits of skin to produce rawhide chew toys for pet dogs. Manufacturers told investigators that these chew toys are regularly exported to and sold in U.S. stores.”

Ultimately, the choice is yours. But, remember, you’re choosing for your dog. It’s likely that if he could educate himself on what he was eating, he’d choose a safer, healthier alternative.
          I know people that have their dogs teeth cleaned by a vet. Only that complete cleaning can get below the gum line. Is done under anesthetic. If your dog has bad breath he needs to have it done or he will lose his teeth as the bone dissolves.

Comment

Wow. Putting the skin of dogs in a dog's chew toy ... thats macabre. It takes a really messed up individual to come up with that.

Comment

"...An investigation by Humane Society International..."
              Any investigation by this group I find suspicious and iffy.
              That said, I've never given my dogs rawhide treats or "chew toys". His only chew is a true bone. There is a custom butcher that processes beef for locals. My dog only gets clean, natural bone.
              About twice a week, I stuff one end of his bone with peanut butter and let him have at it! Quite a show.

Comment

Our vet gives the dogs rawhide treats after exam. NEVER give a dog a rawhide treat unless you have the time to sit and watch them till they're finished ... or you have the courage/control to try taking it away from them. The worst case scenario is they can bite off a slimy chunk and it gets stuck to the roof of their mouth or back of throat. I had to pull one loose once.

Comment

I save my long bones from deer processing. The leg bones and some of the non-splintery shoulder bones give Pup a good time for several days, with no ill effects. Vet says it is a great idea. Pup really likes deer processing days!

Comment

Hey Honker, is it worth the risk of killing your dog?
                    I don't care if your dog is eating a rawhide on the Vet's operation table with a team of Doctors standing by, it still to dangerous and the dog could die.

If your Vet is allegedly given out rawhides to dogs he should lose his license.

Comment

With nothing other than my own observations to back this up, I don't think they are particularly good for the pups. My Australian Shepherd eats them then throws it all up within the hour. I just assume not give him any.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad