Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would be a good breed of dog for training to blood trail deer, hunt rabbits, shed antlers, etc. basically an all around sports dog that could both retrieve and track.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any retriever will track. They will bring back your birds without chewing them up. They don't bite the mailman (often a problem with hounds!). They're also usually very quiet dogs. There's a gawdam hound two block away that I'd dearly love to strangle most every hot evening in the summer when I need to sleep with the windows open. You won't be popular with the neighbors if you go with a hound.

Comment

I can certainly relate to your request. It seems like a desire for a super-hero that can do it all. I had the same desire 50 years ago or so. I don't mean to suggest that I had it all figured out but here is what I did:

I got a 25-06 so I didn't have to follow blood trails any more. Most of the deer I shot were located in the grass right below where they were standing when I shot them. There was no blood to leak out after the shot. It was all contained inside them instantly after the shot.

I got a side-by-side double barrel 20 gauge for hunting rabbits. It seems that finding them wasn't really a problem. Hitting them was. The double barrel allowed me to get two quick shots off using a modified choke and a full choke within about a second. I really didn't need a beagle to flush them and I had no trouble finding them with a good hit.

I have no idea on finding sheds. I've never found one and I've never invested time in trying to get one.

For birds, I got a black lab. It hunted pheasants, quail, grouse, ducks and geese with the best of them. There may be better dogs but black labs set the standard real HIGH.

Good luck in your search for the holy grail and please let us know what you use to do it all.

Comment

Originally posted by DakotaMan View Post
        I can certainly relate to your request. It seems like a desire for a super-hero that can do it all. I had the same desire 50 years ago or so. I don't mean to suggest that I had it all figured out but here is what I did:

I got a 25-06 so I didn't have to follow blood trails any more. Most of the deer I shot were located in the grass right below where they were standing when I shot them. There was no blood to leak out after the shot. It was all contained inside them instantly after the shot.

I got a side-by-side double barrel 20 gauge for hunting rabbits. It seems that finding them wasn't really a problem. Hitting them was. The double barrel allowed me to get two quick shots off using a modified choke and a full choke within about a second. I really didn't need a beagle to flush them and I had no trouble finding them with a good hit.

I have no idea on finding sheds. I've never found one and I've never invested time in trying to get one.

For birds, I got a black lab. It hunted pheasants, quail, grouse, ducks and geese with the best of them. There may be better dogs but black labs set the standard real HIGH.

Good luck in your search for the holy grail and please let us know what you use to do it all.
        I bowhunt a lot so I have to follow a blood trail nearly every deer I shoot.

Comment

Remington's recognition of the hunting dogs. The nice thing is each cup came with 350 Remington Golden bullets.
          Attached Files

Comment

I would say a Lab. I have a yellow Lab that is awesome at all three of these needs. She has been around me hunting deer since she could walk. I think she just took to Deer Blood/Scent and loves to help. After I shot a rabbit and squirrel for her to smell, and she knew what I wanted, she does pretty good at jumping rabbits (she tears into a brush pile like a bull), but she goes crazy for squirrels. I started hunting sheds with her last year and she found two. This year I have been training her more by scent than sight, and she is finding blind sets. You should she the excitement in her as she turns them to me. (as soon as my new GoPro gets here I will post some video.) I think she is a natural, because I am not a "trainer". A good buddy of mine has spent over $4000 to send his dog to be trained. My labs first time ever Duck hunting (with his dog too), My lab did exactly what I asked it to do. His dog was whimpering all the time and busted out as soon as we shot. Every couple of hours I would ask him, "how much did you pay to train her?" Good Luck

Comment

I would say that it would be a bloodhound or a black lab i have one they are friendly and good hunters!!
              Attached Files

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad