Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey yall. i have a german wirehaired pointer in need of a e collar. i have tryed one on her before so i know they will work on h

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey yall. i have a german wirehaired pointer in need of a e collar. i have tryed one on her before so i know they will work on h

hey yall. i have a german wirehaired pointer in need of a e collar. i have tryed one on her before so i know they will work on her.i was wondering what the best one is. By the way i am only 13 so it has to be cheap. preferably under $200. Thanks.

"Sportdog" makes a nice collar with variable power in the controller.
    All less than $200.
    It easily controls my 120# Rottweiler.

Comment

A thirteen year old in control of an e-collar gives me some concern. Many adults abuse the use of an e-collar. I find the cheaper ones result in the most abuse due to their limited options. I strongly suggest that you seek the help of an experienced hunter/trainer before you purchase or use an e-collar on your dog. A GWP is a fine versatile dog, but I have seen some get ruined by improper training. Good luck with your dog.

Comment

I agree with PA. I don't want to think about what I would have done with an e-collar when I was 13. Saying that I have the Tri-tronics G3 Sport basic that I love. It works great for my GSP. Several places have them on sale for around $220 right now. Lot less than I paid for mine.

Comment

Some basic tenants you must understand before using an e collar is that you must never give correction unless you are absolutely positive that the dog knew what it did was wrong, ie. the dog is creeping on point and it knows what whoa means and creeps anyway and flushes game, or totally ignoring comeback tweets on the whistle. I am not a pointing dog guy so I can't offer anymore specific examples but I hope you get the point. Let me say this again, never give correction for an action the dog has not been trained to do or not to do.
          The e collar is not a cure all, but a tool to augment TRAINING, most of which needs to be accomplished on a check cord.
          The Sport Dog 400 is in your price range, has 8 levels of stimulation, with nick and burn modes and a beeper. For the casual trainer it will be fine and we used 3 of these for years here at our kennels. Tri-Tronics is now owned by Garmin and have revamped their entire line and I am not impressed. If you can find a used Pro 100 it may be in your price range. Google Collar Clinic and see what they have in refurbished collars in this line.
          Your age does not concern me, but your lack of experience does so seek advice from a mentor who has trained pointing dogs using an e collar for tutoring, whether in person or via internet. I have seen grown men screw up good dogs because they had not a clue what or how to use an e collar. Good Luck!!!

Comment

So true, RES. Very good advice.

Comment

Yes, good advice. I have trained a lot of hunting dogs but almost all have been labs. My two year-old French Brittany is first pointing dog I've owned. I have never used an e-collar on any dog and done very well. But I have a lot of time to spend working with my dogs and they are in constant contact with me (they live in the house). Both factors make a huge difference. Incidentally, I have also never used a check cord, barrel, or live birds for training. It can be done without that stuff but it takes patience, some ingenuity, a lot of work, ... and the right dog. I have hunted behind two GWP and they were not for me. They both wore e-collars and I can see why. Good hunters but easily out of control. And they both seemed to be somewhat oblivious about keeping their handlers happy. My little Britt can get pretty wound up out in the field but she is deeply in love with me. I use that to my advantage when disciplining her. A devoted sensitive dog is one that is easily trained by conventional methods. And easily ruined with an e-collar!

Comment

To help explain what RES was trying to get at, let me give you an example. If a dog does not bring a bird back to you directly but stops to goof around with it, buzzing her would probably be the wrong thing to do. Positive reinforcement methods would be more effective since the dog is in the process of doing something she is supposed to do, just not quite right. This particular very common indiscretion can usually be cured by giving her a treat and lots of praise every time she returns a bird to hand. Shocking her would only confuse the dog. Buzz her if she doesn't come back when summoned or chases the wrong thing (deer or rabbits). Shocking a dog for breaking point would also seem to me to be the wrong medicine. But since that's never been a problem for me (I have always worked with flushers and this Britt pup is a natural stone cold pointer) I can't really speak with authority on that.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                  by franchi20
                  I've wondered about the guests on the Q&A site. I think it includes visitors the main page who never see the Q&A. It's an overall count of who...
                  Today, 07:40 PM
                • Debate #2: new rules
                  by FirstBubba
                  New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                  The "Biden Campaign"!...
                  10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                • Reply to What's after Trump?
                  by franchi20
                  Speculation is good mental exercise, but I think it's way too early to worry about the next one while fraught with worry about the crap surrounding this...
                  Today, 07:34 PM
                • What's after Trump?
                  by FirstBubba
                  No doubt, Trump will prevail Nov 4th.
                  There is no more FDR and Congress eventually enforced the laws restricting a president to a 2 term limit....
                  Today, 01:46 PM
                • Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                  by fitch270
                  The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                  Today, 07:01 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X