Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first time whitetail hunting I tried using calls but all they did was scare the deer away! WHAT DID I DO WRONG!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first time whitetail hunting I tried using calls but all they did was scare the deer away! WHAT DID I DO WRONG!?!

My first time whitetail hunting I tried using calls but all they did was scare the deer away! WHAT DID I DO WRONG!?!

Next time try just sitting a watching quietly. Don't do any calling at all and see what happens. Chances are you were too aggressive with your calling or possibly moved too much.

Comment

hes right don't call to much and when u do call softly
      and increase the vounmle as needed

Comment

Calling is all about timing, if you call when they can clearly see that their are no other deer they are going to spook. Time of year is also important, calls can work at any time but they are most effective during the rut. Outside the rut bucks are much more cautious. The previous two posts had it right, you have to control your calling, much of the time "less is more."

Comment

The above is good advice. I have shot more deer than I can remember (no brag, just fact) and the only call that has worked for me is the buck "growler" type grunt call. I use the one by MAD and have called in 2 ten pointers and shot them both with Arrows in the last 2 years. You can see them both in my profile photos pg 3 or 4. Just click my name then photos. BTW not saying other calls don't work. They just didn't work for me. Keep in mind most deer will circle downwind smell you then leave.

Comment

The first time I used a call I had a coyote come directly to my stand. Years went by before I figured out what I had done. I had been making a doe distress call by calling to quickly and making short blats. I have a friend who says "dont callem till you seeum" soon you find out what works the best for you. And the rest of your time you keep silent.

Comment

You should really know how to use a deer call before using them in the field. You dont really need them anyway, just wait and the deer often come to you anyway if your in the right spot.

Comment

What call did you use and what time of year was it?

Comment

also, if you hunt an area that has a lot of hunting pressure, the deer usually are much quieter during that time period, especially when they enter the field. I am partial to the fawn bleep myself...

Comment

mostly you dont need a deer call but sometimes its alright to use but the best time to use it is during the rut.I usally dont use a call but when i do i use a grunt call and sometimes rattle antlers.

Comment

All the above answers are good. It might be your movements and not the call.

Comment

I would guess that you called to much or during the wrong part of the season. Keep trying and you will get it right, but generally less calling is better.

Comment

Agreed with Sharkfin answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad