Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My friend has a new beagle pup, and is training her to be a blood tracking dog (for deer). My question is "has anybody had succ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My friend has a new beagle pup, and is training her to be a blood tracking dog (for deer). My question is "has anybody had succ

My friend has a new beagle pup, and is training her to be a blood tracking dog (for deer). My question is "has anybody had success with a beagle, or is there a better breed?"

In Florida where deer are hunted with dogs plenty of people use Beagles. As far as a better breed they also use Walker Foxhounds, Blueticks, Black and Tan Coonhounds and others. Beagles are smaller and cheaper to feed.

Comment

Any breed bred to trail will work. My dad trained a German Shorthair to bloodtrail and she is excellent. My uncle also has a Jack Russel Terrier that does a really good job just a little slower because of his size.

Comment

i saw once in a hunting magizene that there was a man who would go all over the country b/c people would pay him to bring his beagle to track their deer that they coundn't find.

Comment

truthfully I think any dog can be brought up to track deer, and any if not all to be very good at it. Like Del said here in FL blueticks and walkers are used alot to run deer, but they make good tracking dogs too. Beagles though work well, but beleive it or not...Daschunds are like a top notch tracking dog. My girlfriend has two and she has them for pets but her dad has trained them to track deer, and thanks to them little ankle biters one of them found my 8 point this year. But they are veery good dogs. But I beleive you can basically make any dog into a tracking dog. Just do your part and work with the dogs and do whatever you can do... Drag fresh hides off of deer youve just recently killed through the woods, feed them fresh blood, and fresh parts off the deer.[parts you wouldnt eat or use, heart,kidney,fat etc...] and ONLY feed them that... Keep deer meat in the freezer just for the dog, Like this year my friend is training his blueticks so they can run next year and after every deer we shot this year as soon as we skined the hide we would go and drag them through the woods... It works very well. But yea good luck with it!

Comment

Agreed with herbie57_57 answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad