Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone no if a flash on a trail camera will scare big deer or even small ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone no if a flash on a trail camera will scare big deer or even small ones.

Does anyone no if a flash on a trail camera will scare big deer or even small ones.

It is my impression that most wildlife has experienced lightning. Though initially alerted or startled by the strobe, they normally settle quickly because there is no loud noise or consequence.

Comment

I've caught lots of flash and dash on my cameras when you set them up for 3 shot bursts. Not sure if it does any long term damage, as I haven't been using them for very long. I have noticed that I won't catch that big buck twice on the same camera location.

Comment

it doesn't do anything if the deer are already startled it might scare them a little but i have seen deer right infront of the camera and the flash goes off and they take a step back but aren't afraid of it i have also times at night on the trail cameras that the flash goes off and there are pictures taken the next minute they are still there so in the end the flash doesn't scare them at all i have even see were the flash goes off and they just step off to the side and that is right after they were chased by a car and it still didn't scare them so in the end flash doesn't scare them

Comment

I have had many pics of does and small bucks hanging around unafraid but never 2 of a large mature buck from the same location. I think the big boys are frightened by the flash.

Comment

I have had mixed results. I have had a few look right at the flash and some have fled. But I have had them flee during daylight with no flash.

Comment

Sometimes yes and sometimes no. The reasons why are beyond me. I have video of them being scared and snapshots with flash of them not caring at all.

Comment

to me it doesn't matter. i have gotten pictures of the same deer over and over again for hours on end and they don't move a muscle. hope you can get your pictures in the trail camera contest. im working on mine for this month. have fun!!!

Comment

I think flash cameras spook mature bucks and they will then avoid camera these areas. I've noticed also on my ir cameras the deer still notice the red light and the glow. One way not spook seer with cameras is to mount them overhead rather than in their faces.

Comment

we have had several big bucks on cameras and we always have the same one on the camera even at night when the flash goes off they don't run off and they always come back at about the same time the next night and when the flash goes off they don't run off more often than not they stick around and just take their time leaving

Comment

I did an experiment with this because I was also curius. I set out two corn piles a couple hundred yards apart and put one infrared and one flash cam out. I noticed the flash camera got lots of pics but all does and small bucks, and the infrared got those plus big mature bucks. I though it might be the location so i switched the cameras and the big bucks switched corn piles. If this dosen't prove the mature bucks are spooked by the flash then I don't know what does.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad