Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

People say the minimum caliber for deer is .243, and lots of folks say the .22 centerfires are to small, but does the extra .023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you ever seen what a 22-250 does to a Jack Rabbit, it vaporizes them and does the same internally to a deer!

Comment

sounds like if i am planning on getting any serious shooting done, i'm going to have to go back to school first.

Comment

why does everyone keep saying 22 centerfire? A 22 caliber is rimfire, or are we talking a .223 caliber which is centerfire?

Comment

why does everyone keep saying 22 centerfire? A 22 caliber is rimfire, or are we talking a .223 caliber which is centerfire?

Comment

Correction: in my posting I meant to type "5.6X61"mm Vom Hofe cartridge (not 6.5X61). Sorry.

Comment

Put another way, the direct answer to this question is NO. The difference in diameter should not make any difference in performance, if that is the only variable in the comparison. Given bullets of identical weight, type and construction (and moving at identical velocities) as being constant, the performance should be (almost) identical. The problem is availability of .223 and .243 bullets in identical bullet weights.

Comment

yes it makes a difference.and no the 243 is not the smallest legal deer caliber. smallest legal is the 357 mag.

Comment

I am sorry, Drew, for interruping your Q&A, but we are all talking about centerfire cartridges with bullets of about .22 caliber, give or take.

Comment

I think deerslayer2 must be talking about the smallest overall length of the cartridge. Or maybe the smallest pistol cartridge.

Comment

Ya Drew, we are talking about .223's and .22-250's .220 Swifts and stuff like that. NOT the .22lr.

Comment

It's a line in the sand. The bare minimum that's acceptable. Maybe not the best for all conditions but the minimum. .22 is below that line in the sand. If we fudge it down to .22 then what's next? Fudge it down to .17?

Comment

It's all about the bullet selection. A lot of the bad rap a .243 gets is a result of selecting the wrong bullet. The Federal 85 grain BTHP or the Remingtin 100 grain core lokt ultra factory will drop them consistently. Not that those are the only two, but the point is that if you choose the same grain but wrong bullet, and you may have expansion problems and lost deer. These two are proven deer-droppers.

Comment

RANGE MONKEY ALERT!

LMAO!

Comment

What is a range monkey?

Comment

I guess the DC Snipers answered that question. The question becomes, "How well can you shoot when excited?" It won't matter if you have a cannon if ye can't shoot. To get longer range and give myself a better chance of making meat, I'd get the .243.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad