Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I went deer hunting last fall for the first time, I didn't kill any, but still had the most fun of my life, and I know im going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went deer hunting last fall for the first time, I didn't kill any, but still had the most fun of my life, and I know im going

I went deer hunting last fall for the first time, I didn't kill any, but still had the most fun of my life, and I know im going to hunt until I die now. Anyway what are some of the basic, but real important things to know when your deer hunting???

1. Always do your share of the work.
    2. Its not about the deer.
    3. Learn the camps unwritten rules and follow them.
    4. Have fun.

Comment

Know how to gut and butcher the deer. And get to know a lot of recipes for venison, youll have lots of it in your freezer.

Comment

I feel the number one basic to hunting is being ethical. Don't go out hunting knowing your gun or bow is not sighted in true. I know many hunters like this and it makes me sick. One shot one kill! I get more pleasure out of the hunt not the shot. If you make a 300 yard shot, ya that is good but what chance did the animal have. They don't call it shooting they call it hunting.

Comment

1. Scout the area that you are going to hunt. Try to pattern the deer, i.e. what trails are they using, what time do they come out to feed.
          2. Use some type of scent elimanter, ScentKiller works good, you can find it at Wal-Mart.
          3. Pick a good spot to set, but not right on top of were the deer are moving.
          4. Relax and enjoy, you will get a shot.

Comment

I think the number one thing is be ethical, just like it was said before. Make sure the shot is within your limits. My first time hunting I saw a huge buck limping across the field. It was missing its front left leg, from that day on I have always shot within my limits.

Comment

#1 Safety
              hunting is deadly serious business and safety should ALWAYS be your #1 concern.

#2 Ethics
              we have too many slob hunters running around already.

Comment

I agree with you KingFisher. Just hunt smart, be safe and have a good time. After a bit take someone that doesnt hunt out with you sometime. I'm not that old yet but I've gone out hunting plenty of times and I think some of the most exciting times I've had was when I take my little brothers out with me. Watching them when the animal that we're hunting comes close makes the hunt even better regardless of what we get.

Comment

Always, always hunt so the wind carries your scent away from where the deer are expected to be. Use good equipment you can shoot accurately. The other guys gave you good advice read and heed. Read everything about hunting you can get your hands on in the off season. Keep in mind some of the advice may not be good for the area you hunt. After your first buck hunt mature bucks for meat & trophy and doe for meat & herd control.

Comment

Be humble and thankful for the experience, especially if you take home some meat.

Speaking of meat - learn how to field dress and handle the meat properly.

Comment

catfishclark10

I can safely say I’ve shot more than most Sportsmen around and always thought you had to bag out every year without fail. I really believed that until I was in Alaska, read on Young Hunter and I hope you learn what I did.

During my 4-year tour (1986-90) at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska, I’ve been asked how many bears have I taken. I had hundreds of chances. I had my crosshairs on many with a round in the chamber of my 338 Win Mag with Nosler 250 grain partitions loaded at 2800 fps and a harvest ticket in my backpack. An easy one shot clean kill everyone. I never pulled the trigger though.
                      Why you ask?
                      The beauty and respect of one a Hunter to the other (the bear) perhaps? Most of all the cost of having it mounted I couldn’t afford and I knew in the back of my mind that if I did pull the trigger, the hunt was over. I wasn’t ready for the hunt to end, never. I wanted more days to hunt, just to be out there. Even if I came home empty handed, it didn’t matter. The awesome power, to watch a Grizzly role rocks the size of my ATV like a basketball, hunting for rodents. I never have taken a bear until I moved back to Arkansas.
                      Most of all, being on a mountain ridge, setting on a giant rock overlooking the endless landscape where perhaps no man ever walked.
                      To watch a snow flurry on a far mountain ridge and feel the Lord setting next to me enjoying what God has made.

I may have came home empty handed,
                      but my mind is full of awesome memories
                      it is a experience, I’ll never forget!
                      Clay Cooper

Comment

#1 PREPARATION, this includes but is not limited to, having your weapon sighted in and being proficient with it, knowing your gear. If someone asks you what power your scope is? You should know. I once hunted with a novice who could not answer that question after he missed several easy shots at deer that were close and broadside. Upon further investigation it turns out he had a variable power scope turned all the way up to 20 power and was having a difficult time finding the animal in the scope. This is just an example of why you should be familiar with your gear.

Besides my weapon, I suggest always carrying (at a minimum) water, electric tape (for securing tag to the animal), extra ammo, knife, emergency blanket, flashlight and whistle.

Basic advice: don't skyline yourself, try to keep the wind in your face and the sun to your back and/or stay in the shadows. Don't risk taking bad shots, don't take head or neck shots. Don't assume you missed, lots of times it's not always obvious when you hit but upon further investigation you'll find blood. LAST but not least, get out and do it! Good luck!

Comment

All very good advice. Plus be vewy vewy quiet.

Comment

Make David Petzal happy and shoot at deer silhouettes for practice. Bulleyes are for sighting/ammo testing and competition not hunting practice. I didn't start this with my rifle until after practicing with a 3D deer with my bow.
                            Oh yeah and when you practice do it from hunting positions.

Comment

Enjoy every moment you get in the field, there is not nearly enough time each fall to realize what a blessing hunting is. Then learn how to butcher your own animals. There is nothing like doing it yourself. Lastly take somebody else with you, introduce somebody to the sport so that they can also recieve the blessing the rest of have.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                I see an interesting piece up on CBC this morning that says Kamala would be a perfect fit for the Conservative party if she was running for office up...
                                Today, 11:19 AM
                              • 16 Years
                                by jhjimbo
                                So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                                Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                              • Reply to More Bad News....
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                WAM, I am very sorry to hear about Scout. I know words at times such as this are of little help, but know they are filled with much feeling of sorrow...
                                Today, 11:12 AM
                              • More Bad News....
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                My 13+ year old Black Lab is still plugging along. Not sure how much or if he will hunt this fall. The real bad news is that my 8-year old Lab, Scout,...
                                07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
                              • Reply to 16 Years
                                by rock rat
                                Jimbo this morning I heard a woman interviewed on the radio, she was the state coordinator with the Kamala for President group during the primaries. All...
                                Today, 10:59 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X