Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I watched a hunting show where a bunch of injured people from the Iraq war where hunting whitetail in Texas. They were all give

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I watched a hunting show where a bunch of injured people from the Iraq war where hunting whitetail in Texas. They were all give

I watched a hunting show where a bunch of injured people from the Iraq war where hunting whitetail in Texas. They were all given a .22-250 to hunt with. The cartrdge seemed to work great on the deer.

It does kill dear, as with many other small, debatable cartridges. Its all about shot placement. However the extra insurance of larger caliber like a .270 is always a good thing.

Comment

yup, seen lots of deer killed with 22-250 and I'v shot several with my 220 swift. no problem! I also have a 300 mag and 7 stw, so I guess people can criticize me for being over gunned and under gunned at the same time!

Comment

Texas deer are smaller than say Maine, Illinois, Iowa or Michigan deer. Here in S.Jersey(coastal region), most deer are under 100 lbs. If legal the .22-250 would be great, but in Maine, not so much. I've always said in the hands of highly trained and disciplined shooters they're ok, but shot selection, bullet selection and placement is paramount.

Comment

Texas whitetails aren't very big as a rule and the hunting is usually pretty wide open so I'd say this wouldn't be a bad caliber. But it would be on the low end of what is usually acceptable.

Comment

whats your question dont post something unless its a question

Comment

It would work; but it will fragment upon impact with bone and fail to penetrate the vitals. a .243 should be the minimum for deer regardless of the size. I shot a deer last year through the lungs with a 30-06 165 grain and it still ran 70 yards or so.

Comment

Brittle: Don't comment on something unless it has something to do with the topic.

Comment

The question implied in this posting is: "What do you think?"

Comment

No less an authority than P.O.Ackley has stated that the 220 Swift and the 22-250 are excellent deer rifles in the hands of experienced hunters. Knowing what bullet to shoot and proper anatomy is certainly part of this equation. A 60 gr. Nosler partition bullet loaded to 3600fps + will penetrate very well and has shown in tests to out penetrate many larger and more excepted deer calibers. On the down side, the wound channel is typically not as large. I shot my buck this year(181 lb) with the 223 and the 60 gr. Nosler bullet at 3200 fps. The bullet did massive damage and a pass through would have left a good blood trail if necessary, but it this case it was not. The deer was 79 paces away from my stand. I believe that standards set arbitrarily have become Gospel to many and are passed around as if there is no other alternatives. The 22 caliber centerfires are for careful and experienced hunters but will do the job.

Comment

The OPERATIVE word is Careful and experienced hunter's who are EXPERT Marksmen in the strictest sense. Otherwise USE ENOUGH Gun.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                        by 99explorer
                        When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                        Today, 11:11 AM
                      • Abortion Up To States
                        by jhjimbo
                        Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                        Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                      • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                        by PigHunter
                        Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                        Too sexy for your party
                        No way I'm disco dancing...
                        Today, 10:21 AM
                      • TGIF; Party Time
                        by fitch270
                        Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                      • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                        by 99explorer
                        I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                        Not for reasons of public safety,...
                        Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X