Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is good to plant in a food plot? Also should I put lime down before I plant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with FairChase!

Leave a comment:

• Big C
    replied
    I agree that a lot depends on the situation and your area. Definitely use lime and fertilizer to get the best results.

Leave a comment:

• sayerbefiddlin
    replied
    I live down south and I always add lime as a buffer when I am hunting the soggybottoms. Just the cracks in the canopy is where I plant the winter wheat or turnips. Sometimes I luck out and the poke salad is still out.

Leave a comment:

• lovetohunt
    replied
    I live in Michigan and trying to attract whitetail.

Leave a comment:

• NNMountaineer
    replied
    It depends what species your foodplot will target, what part of the country you are in, and how much money you are willing to spend establishing this plot. Step 1 will be to get a soil test done for your property and it will tell you how much lime and fertilizer to apply based on what you want to grow. You should also consult with someone that has experience growing food plots in your area or a biologist in your area in order to determine what grows best as well as what the wildlife are most attracted to.

Leave a comment:

• jay
    replied
    there are several advantages to planting alfalfa.
    1. If you mow and fertilize it should easily last 4 or more years without having to replant.
    2. Alfalfa is very high in protein.
    3. You can make money from it if bailed.
    4. provides year round food source.

Of course, one of the biggest disadvantages is the cost of seed.

Leave a comment:

• herbie57_57
    replied
    alfalfa and clover and exspensive starts. Triticales, rye, sorghum (milo) or cheaper ways to go. Pheasants forever gives away a sorghum mix each year so if you know a member hit them up, it works great for deer too. You should get a soil test done to see if you need lime because thats a major expense also. Most state extension offices can send in a soil sample and get it tested to see how much N,P & K you need along with getting a soil pH. You could send your sample into a private lab also like Ward labs in NE or Servi Tech Labs in KS. Also check out the message boards there is a place under deer camp talking about food plots.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Carpenter
    replied
    Alfalfa and clover are good starts. It always good to add lime and firtilizer

Leave a comment:

• FairChase
    replied
    If you asked 100 people you might get 100 different answers. Kinda depends on your situation. Are there a lot of crops grown around your hunting area? What region of the country do you live in? Do you have acess to machinery? In my opinion soybeans can be just as good as anything. But if your surrounded by fields of soybeans you might have trouble getting deer to come to your plot. Might try to plant something they dont get much. Some good things to plant would be, corn, soybeans, cowpeas, clover, turnips, biologic, and many others. You dont know whether you need lime unless you check to soil's ph. If your serious about it you can send a soil sample off to be tested. Talk to your local Ag Extension office for more info.

Leave a comment:

• What is good to plant in a food plot? Also should I put lime down before I plant?

What is good to plant in a food plot? Also should I put lime down before I plant?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad