Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you use a light going to your treestand in the predawn darkness.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you use a light going to your treestand in the predawn darkness.

Do you use a light going to your treestand in the predawn darkness.

Let me tell you my theory. I'm thinking that deer are less scared if they can see you coming from a distance as opposed to sneaking up on them in the dark and scareing the snot out of both you and the deer. Second, I think that once you get to your treestand and turn your light out then the deer will think the danger has disappeared. I've noticed seeing deer in the morning with my headlamp that just let me walk by. What do you guys think?

Comment

I've always used one and it didn't seem to hurt my hunt any, usually saw deer shortly after sunrise.

Comment

Unless it's pitch dark out, I don't use a light. I first sit for 15 minutes to let my eyes adjust, you'll be surprised at how well you can see in the dark after your eyes adjust. I do use a headlamp for climbing, a led unit that casts little light, mainly to see the ladder steps up. I have spooked a few deer with a flashlight, and found if you have covered your scent and run without a flashlight, you can usually walk within 10 yards of a resting deer herd before anything moves.

Comment

I use a headlamp to climb and an led with red lenses to walk around.

Comment

I use a headlamp to walk to my tree stand and have never had a problem with it.

Comment

Ever since I walked right up on a skunk in the dark I use a small red light to get to my stand. Doesn't seem to make any dif.

Comment

deer cant see L.E.D. light beams, so i use a little L.E.D. light.

Comment

I use a flashlight mainly during rifle season only, for the obvious reasons. During archery i like to let my eyes acclimate to the darkness but use a light sparingly if absolutely needed. I did not know deer don't see L.E.D. light. Is that accurate?

Comment

I use a headlamp with a red filter on it.

Comment

NO, I use a blind mans cane!

O"BROTHER, LOL

Comment

I use my red-lens LED headlamp, but most mornings I don't even end up using it!!!

Comment

It depends on how much moonlight/other light there is. Also depends on which stand, because some of them are in dark woods, while others are near a field edge.

Comment

I need a light, if i don't use one to hit my reflectors i get lost and have to sit down till dawn. I am the WORST navigator in the dark, i have been hunting the same tree stand for 10+ years now and I still get disoriented and turned around on my way in. Getting out in the dark is no problem, the field is big and hard to miss but picking out the right tree in a forest of trees is so hard for me. I know others who could do it in their sleep, i wish i were one of them but sadly i am not and so I use a light or get lost.

Comment

Usually don't. If I do, I use a red LED.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad