Deer Destroying Forests?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deer Destroying Forests?

Would you be in favor of lifting restrictions on selling wild-game meat to help prevent deforestation, i.e. kill more deer? That issue and a few others are touched on in this article. Some good points made, some b.s. ....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/fit...84af8#comments

From the article:
    ---------------------------------------------------
    To protect these crucial habitats and carbon sinks in order to help keep climate change from spiraling further out of control, scientists say deer population density in much of the country must be drastically reduced. “For this thing to work, you have to drive the deer numbers down to a very low level,” said William McShea, a wildlife ecologist at the Smithsonian Conservation Ecology Center. “You can’t just have casual hunting.”
    ---------------------------------------------------

Hahaha! That puts the tree huggers in a tight spot between saving Bambi or the Planet

Comment

Extend seasons, increase bag limits and let youngsters hunt while they still enjoy being with parents.

Comment

There is a catch 22 in this matter ! The more deer numbers are reduced, the less hunters will put in the effort to continue hunting. Then deer numbers will be again on the increase, and then ‘hello’ to the same problem ! It will be difficult to reach and maintain a level ecologists are looking for. But then, intentions are often a ‘pie in the sky’ !

Comment

Good point, Richard. I think the antis would see opportunities here to make hunting irrelevant, similar to the way they now fight against culling in towns but support sterilization efforts (which don't work, but that's another story).

I think even PETA would be fine with large-scale culling, as long as it's not hunters doing it. I think the majority of them are less about the animals than they are about moral superiority and defying tradition.

Comment

PETA (and HSUS) will allow the deer to begin dying of starvation before they would allow "one" deer to be shot.
            They are a real piece of work.

JMNSHO

Comment

I thought Conservationists wanted to plant more trees for more reduction of co2 and increase of O2. Isn't forest destruction what happened in the rain forest and it has disrupted the entire ecological balance

Comment

Deforestation is just another factor in state herd management. They can increase hunter licenses if they need to in order to prevent deforestation.

Comment

Insurance Companies lobby the States to continue to reduce the deer herd.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to BIG deer! (?)
                    by FirstBubba
                    To say they are "spooky" is an understatement....and they travel in herds with lot'sa eagle eye vision eyeballs to watch on all directions!...
                    Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                  • BIG deer! (?)
                    by FirstBubba
                    We came down to south Texas to spend a few days with the youngest.
                    We helped assemble a chicken house/run.
                    This morning, we all walked out...
                    09-25-2022, 09:43 AM
                  • Reply to BIG deer! (?)
                    by 99explorer
                    I knew a cattle rancher back in central Texas who shot an aoudad that had wandered onto his property, having escaped from an exotic game ranch.
                    Yesterday, 10:05 PM
                  • Reply to TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                    by fitch270
                    Jackson Browne

”Doctor My Eyes”

Yesterday, 10:03 PM
                  • TGIF; What’s Up Doc?
                    by fitch270
                    Good tunes to cure what ever ails ‘ya this week.

Robert Palmer wanting a house call.

Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X