Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do ladderstands give away your location to deer more than a hang-on or climber? Because the ladders stick out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do ladderstands give away your location to deer more than a hang-on or climber? Because the ladders stick out?

Do ladderstands give away your location to deer more than a hang-on or climber? Because the ladders stick out?

Maybe for a little while, but after awhile the deer seem to get used to stands and blinds. They just become a part of the woods. I'm sure this takes awhile though so if you are setting one up and plan to hunt it soon the climber might be a safer bet.

Comment

I've had a deer almost run into the ladder when walking under the tree. I was literally braced for impact.

Comment

You could dress it up a little by putting sticks through out the ladder to make it look more natural.

Comment

I've killed LOTS of deer in ladder's and climbers.
          as was said they just become part of the woods to a deer if no threat is noticed at first !

Comment

No.. I've had them get pretty close while using a hang on stand and well within range. Didn't seem to bother them at all.

Comment

i aint realy had no problems with ladder stands ive had deer eat acorns around my ladder stand while i am hunting in it and had them walk up sniff the ladder and sleep below the stand

Comment

i aint realy had no problems with ladder stands ive had deer eat acorns around my ladder stand while i am hunting in it and had them walk up sniff the ladder and sleep below the stand

Comment

I've used both and can't tell the difference except for the fact that the ladder stands are easier to climb. I've had plenty of deer around the base of the ladder without a problem.

Comment

It just becomes part of the tree. The deer get used to them. They do stick out more to humans though. Some human's aren't so ethical and honest. Lost a good stand. Still makes me mad. Always lock your stand to the tree. A padlock and piece of chain are a cheap subsitute to a new stand.

Comment

The only problem with a ladder stand is that they usually are only 15ft up the tree, I have a ladder stand and when the deer come though, they know its there but there not spooked by it, they look up at me and I don't move and they just keep moving along. One thing that helped greatly with my ladder stand is that I wrapped the entire stand with camo burlap, therefore you still can move your legs and get into position for a shot with your movement being concealed.

Comment

My hunting partner and I finished up our treestand this past off season, and have not seen any change in the deer patterns. We used a 20' 6x6 and screwed steps into it, so it is more of a climbing stick than a ladder. The other thing we did, was took natural surrounding limbs that were cut, and Christmas garland and wrapped the ladder with it. By doing this, it took the rough "edge" look and made it more natural looking.

Comment

the deer get used to it but it takes a while

Comment

I've had hundreds of deer walk right by or even up to the ladder stands without any issues.

Comment

Not really if you do your homework. I have used ladder stands for years and found out they can be very effective and and also cost savings. I usually use 2x4 of what ever lenght is desire for the height and for the steps. The main key is that to camoflage the blind with paint. Once I have placed my stand in the desired location I use everything in my surroundings to blend it in. A staple gun or electrical staples work the best to secure the brush to the blind. This will aid in concielment.Good Luck Bigkountry26

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by labrador12
                                You could listen to Jack del Rio and Larry Correia and blow off the hearings because they are a made for TV Stalinesque Show Trial too!. The same people...
                                Today, 04:09 PM
                              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                                by FirstBubba
                                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                              • Reply to Abortion Up To States
                                by labrador12
                                That is why so many citizens are outraged by the Jan 6 atrocity by the Brandon Justice Dept. Nothing illegalities are being blown out of proportion. Meanwhile...
                                Today, 03:35 PM
                              • Abortion Up To States
                                by jhjimbo
                                Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                                06-24-2022, 12:22 PM
                              • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                                by labrador12
                                In NY your guns are enumerated on your permit. In Pa the citizen is issued a permit. No questions are asked. No finger prints, no training requirements,....
                                Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X