Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn! My turn!

Well, finally!
    The "Boss" and me had annual doctor appointments. We went down through 3 different creek bottoms. She's driving, so I'm looking hard for deer, turkeys, hogs and anything else.
    Nothing! Not even deer colored calves on wheat pasture!
    Nada!
    Zero!
    Zilch!
    Doctor appointment went well. No major changes.
    Stopped at the local hardware store and picked up some bits and pieces to cut in a cut off valve for an outside faucet.
    A mile off the highway, a silhouette appears in the road, and moves off.
    As we approach a wide open wheat field, we spot a buck harassing a doe. Nice antlers, no "Booner" by any means, but I wudda shot 'im!
    He was working that doe like a $30k quarter horse.
    I had only my EDC, on a public road and the deer are on private property I can't hunt! LOL!
    That's okay, at least I got to SEE a nice buck. 😃

The valve cut-in was easier and quicker than I expected.
    If you do ANY plumbing, use PEX! That stuff is a breeze to work with!
    I retraced my steps to the hardware store to return the crimping tool.

A mile off the highway, I catch motion in the right ditch!
    IT'S THE BUCK!
    He almost runs in front of the truck. Scarey!
    He's a pretty tall, so-so wide. Probably a 5 to 7 point from the fleeting glimpse I got.
    I figure he and the doe had bedded down in the head high blood weeds in the ditch!

They were a good mile from any decent tree cover. I have discovered that deer can hide in some pretty slim cover! LOL!

AWESOME!

You’re one up on the Kid since Rifle season opened, actually since early in October. He’s a bit disappointed he’s not at least seeing something legal. I’d like another deer in the freezer, maybe two, but I’m not excited to pop a doe just yet. Have a buck tag for the muzzleloader season but it’s beginning to look like work may get in the way. The kids have a bunch of tags left so we’re playing it by ear still.

Finished this up a few hours ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4F24CDFD-9717-47D2-997D-D5B193B9917E.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	786653

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
      You’re one up on the Kid since Rifle season opened, actually since early in October. He’s a bit disappointed he’s not at least seeing something legal. I’d like another deer in the freezer, maybe two, but I’m not excited to pop a doe just yet. Have a buck tag for the muzzleloader season but it’s beginning to look like work may get in the way. The kids have a bunch of tags left so we’re playing it by ear still.

Finished this up a few hours ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F24CDFD-9717-47D2-997D-D5B193B9917E.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	786653
      That may not have a lot of "points" fitch270, but that is a really nice rack! 👍
      Good spread, good mass, good color, good tine length.
      Just an overall nice trophy!

I was in my "shop", resetting the scope on my 6.8 AR. Wife calls me in the house and I've missed a phone call. It's my "propane" man! LOL!

A buddy and me had a lease in a creek bottom. The landowner died, we lost our lease. His heirs were doing backflips to dump the property and had NO desire to lease it.

Enter my "propane" man! He bought the property! 😃!
      It was a year or two before I learned WHO bought the land, then I began to have medical problems and couldn't shoot. I was pretty beat up because I REALLY loved turkey hunting that bottom.

I returned the call.
      After a conversation with the man, it turns out that he only DEER hunts and told me as long as I didn't interfere with deer hunting, I could turkey hunt all I want! ....AT NO CHARGE! 😃

Who says God doesn't answer prayers?

Comment

He almost had a ninth point on the left side but it stopped short. His brow tines aren’t proportional to the rest of the rack, he’d look better overall if they’d developed better. I’m certainly not disappointed.

Very happy for you on the early CHRISTmas gift. Excellent motivation to get after it in the spring, just over four months right? Better get in shape!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          He almost had a ninth point on the left side but it stopped short. His brow tines aren’t proportional to the rest of the rack, he’d look better overall if they’d developed better. I’m certainly not disappointed.

Very happy for you on the early CHRISTmas gift. Excellent motivation to get after it in the spring, just over four months right? Better get in shape!
          Get in shape? You mean old, fat and crippled won't work? LOL!
          If there was ever an incentive to shape up, that would be [email protected]

It's where I took the double that's my avatar.
          It's where I videoed 6 tom's fighting!
          It's where I taped the "Neon" tom!
          It's where I took my only archery turkey.
          It's where I took my first "handgun" tom.
          It's where I took the three "x-ray" turkeys.

Name:	100E0884.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	786676 The "Neon" tom.

Name:	100E0896.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	786677 Six tom fight.

Name:	100_0854.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	3.46 MB
ID:	786678 The "Double"

Comment

That’s what I’m talking about.

Gotta fire up that “Want to”, where there’s a will there’s a way. As long as you have a spot!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad