Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Mtnhunter
    replied
    I used to carry a ton of ammo back in the day. Now I carry 3+1 in my elk rifle magazine + 1 in my shirt pocket. Five spares in a leather belt carrier and the rest in my ammo can in the rig. Deer rifles get one more apiece due to more magazine capacity. My .300 Wby hunt ammo box has 3 empty cases for 3 bulls last three hunts. Ask me again why I tolerate the extra recoil?

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Perfect weather for deer gun season. Total is 4pt, 6pt and doe. One friend had a brand new side by side atv and first day was fine, second day it quit in the pasture and that was it for the duration. Towed it back and tried everything and no go. New electronics are great until they fail.

Leave a comment:

• Ernie
    replied
    I typically carry 5-7 rounds with me. If, I am in the mountains, and far from camp: 10-15

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    I got in a discussion with an Amish guy and his son. They were on my land. As the guy approached my shotgun happened to be pointed in his direction and my finger happened to be on the trigger guard. He kept looking at my finger and finally turned and left.

The map is a little deceiviing as there is a small triangle with one yellow stake but not a second stake. The whole spot is maybe 50 x 100 yds adjacent to mine. With two against one I did not take my eyes off them. They think they own everything anyway. I chased some off a few years ago chasing a wounded doe and shooting at it in the direction of my parked ATV. In Ohio trespass is subject to arrest and loss of hunting.

Leave a comment:

• Milldawg
    replied
    Pack my rifle 4+1 and carry at least another box. And carry my sidearm and extra mag. Some of the worlds toughest problems are solved with extra ammo.

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    When I hunted a place that got a lot of trespassers, carried a shotgun full, extra rounds, plus a handgun and extra rounds. Figured if a war started I was gonna stay in the fight a good while.

Clint Smith........Thunder rants. Good stuff......language warning

https://youtu.be/8mCAd7giD2o

Leave a comment:

• CD2
    replied
    I carry a blind or box mags worth in rifle, and toss a spare or two in a pocket.
    Hunt Sat and Sun and season over.
    Cuz got this one mid week and textd this pic while I was at rehab place working on my shoulder.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20211116-100220 (1).jpg
Views:	141
Size:	969.1 KB
ID:	786161

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    I have a nice compact little ammo pack that I carry on my belt. It holds 10 rounds quietly. I carry that for emergency signaling. I've only used it once when we were walking a four mile stretch of the Missouri river breaks for coyotes. About half way though the walk, a nasty blizzard whipped up and visibility went to about 15 feet. My sister got disoriented and never showed up at the end of the walk. I walked back about a mile and started to fire three shots every 10 minutes until I saw her appear out of the snow about 15 feet away. She was familiar with the signal and came right to it. She said she never worried because she knew exactly what we would do.

I carry a full magazine with one in the chamber when hunting.

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    My first few years of deer hunting, my dad rationed slugs to my brothers and me. We got two shells each and were advised to use them wisely. We seemed to do fine and we were thankful of the forethought it gave us in hunting.

I was sitting in a brush pile near an active trail one morning when a hunter came down the trail in front of me. I waved at him and he said "Hey kid, can you give me some shells? I only brought two boxes and I've already shot almost all of them up." I said "I only brought two shells but you can sure have one of them." He looked at me like I was being a smart *ss and just stomped on. Later that day, I got my deer and had one shell left for the next season.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

Less to lose mainly, a few times over the years when unloading I’ve dropped rounds that I couldn’t find. In deep snow usually. With the lever gun once in a muddy ditch next to the parked truck. I started popping them back through the loading gate after that instead of jacking them through. I’ve never liked dropping shells on the ground anyway. Easier to catch a couple than four when dumping the floor plate on the bolt guns as well. I always have one in hand from clearing the chamber first.

The other thing is the past several years I’ve been carrying my kid’s ammo in addition to mine until we get situated. First couple years with my son and now with my daughter. No extra ammo in pockets after the guns are loaded to avoid any mixups.

In Montana the kid and I each carried a box with us every day. Extras rode in the packs.
    Yes siree Bob! In a situation like that, "lack-of-ammo" is a malady you DO NOT want to suffer from! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IM000415.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	786135 I had a rifle that when the safety was on it would not lock the bolt. Operative word 'had'. Lost one shell until I finally sold the rifle - Mauser 7mmRemMag' The culpert.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter
    Look at it this way, ammo is relatively small and lightweight. Why not take a few extra cartridges into the woods? Is it some badge of honor to go light on rounds? What's wrong about having at least enough to load 1 in the chamber and 4 in the tube?
    Less to lose mainly, a few times over the years when unloading I’ve dropped rounds that I couldn’t find. In deep snow usually. With the lever gun once in a muddy ditch next to the parked truck. I started popping them back through the loading gate after that instead of jacking them through. I’ve never liked dropping shells on the ground anyway. Easier to catch a couple than four when dumping the floor plate on the bolt guns as well. I always have one in hand from clearing the chamber first.

The other thing is the past several years I’ve been carrying my kid’s ammo in addition to mine until we get situated. First couple years with my son and now with my daughter. No extra ammo in pockets after the guns are loaded to avoid any mixups.

In Montana the kid and I each carried a box with us every day. Extras rode in the packs.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Look at it this way, ammo is relatively small and lightweight. Why not take a few extra cartridges into the woods? Is it some badge of honor to go light on rounds? What's wrong about having at least enough to load 1 in the chamber and 4 in the tube?
    When you hunt areas that have feral hogs, I'm not sure you can carry TOO MUCH ammo! LOL!

A single hog is no biggie, but if you stumble into a "sounder", it can be a different story.

As a general rule, the first shot and a sounder scatters like a covey of quail! All directions!
    I have seen, twice, the stunned silence of an entire sounder going absolutely dead still at the crack of a rifle.
    If the sounder is in a big open area, you may need (want?) bunches of ammo.
    First hog I killed with an AR, the sounder was in head high weeds! You could hear them, but you couldn't see them.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post

If I missed three times he wasn’t standing there in the first place…..
    LMBO!!!!!

You sound like the hunter who was hunting a power line right-of-way. When a monster buck showed up, he got so excited, he dropped his gun and broke his scope!

"But I wasn't worried", he said, "the bucks massive antlers were hung up in the overhead power lines and he couldn't get away!" 🤣😂🤣

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Sunday I carried 10 rounds for my single-shot .45-70 Handi Rifle. I keep them in an old flip phone zippered case on my belt. Carrying that many rounds is a habit developed from years of hunting pigs far from the vehicle. But now the possibility is almost zero of me using more than 3 rounds hunting deer from a blind.

I've told the story before about one morning using all 10 rounds of .30-06 I had with me. I ambushed a sounder of pigs, getting the sow with the first round out of the Remington 7400. The other 4 in the magazine were misses at fleeing ones. I reloaded the next 5 rounds and used two on a boar that returned. 2 hours later, the last three rounds were fired at a running buck and it dropped on the last shot.

10 rounds, three animals. I've never claimed to be a marksman. But, I still had the 5-shot Ruger .357 magnum so I wasn't totally out of resources.
    I think 3 is enough but in Northern NY the rule was to carry a box. In case you are lost, the signal is 3 shots in about 5 sec straight up in the air if lost or needing help. This is done about an hour after dark as some may be working on deer or dinner, etc. That was the instruction from the guide. One eve we did hear 3 shots and he left by boat and helped a client bring in a deer.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Future of Energy
    by 99explorer
    I really think you guys ought to move to Australia.
    Today, 10:36 PM
  • Future of Energy
    by jhjimbo
    It is a mixed bag going forward. Some refiners have closed and no new ones will be built (approved). Everything will be based on supply and demand....
    Today, 08:14 AM
  • Reply to Future of Energy
    by bowhunter75richard
    The cost of energy is now becoming a very serious issue. Much of the present problem is a result of refineries closing down due to declining income. And...
    Today, 09:19 PM
  • Reply to Buffalo Shooting
    by 99explorer
    When your gripes are many
    and your rewards are few,
    remember that the mighty oak
    was once a nut like you.
    Today, 09:01 PM
  • Buffalo Shooting
    by jhjimbo
    18 yo goes into a grocery store dressed in body armor and tactical gear. Records everything as he shoots 13 people.
    Gov. Kathy Hochul jumped all...
    Yesterday, 12:24 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X