No announcement yet.

Gun Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got in a discussion with an Amish guy and his son. They were on my land. As the guy approached my shotgun happened to be pointed in his direction and my finger happened to be on the trigger guard. He kept looking at my finger and finally turned and left.

The map is a little deceiviing as there is a small triangle with one yellow stake but not a second stake. The whole spot is maybe 50 x 100 yds adjacent to mine. With two against one I did not take my eyes off them. They think they own everything anyway. I chased some off a few years ago chasing a wounded doe and shooting at it in the direction of my parked ATV. In Ohio trespass is subject to arrest and loss of hunting.

Comment

I typically carry 5-7 rounds with me. If, I am in the mountains, and far from camp: 10-15

Comment

Perfect weather for deer gun season. Total is 4pt, 6pt and doe. One friend had a brand new side by side atv and first day was fine, second day it quit in the pasture and that was it for the duration. Towed it back and tried everything and no go. New electronics are great until they fail.

Comment

I used to carry a ton of ammo back in the day. Now I carry 3+1 in my elk rifle magazine + 1 in my shirt pocket. Five spares in a leather belt carrier and the rest in my ammo can in the rig. Deer rifles get one more apiece due to more magazine capacity. My .300 Wby hunt ammo box has 3 empty cases for 3 bulls last three hunts. Ask me again why I tolerate the extra recoil?

Comment

I carry 15 rounds.
            Oklahoma no longer has mag/cap restrictions. I carry 5 round mags for my AR. Longer mags are just too long and cumbersome in a blind situation. So I carry 1 five round mag in the rifle and 2 extra 5 round mags. One in my day pack and one in my coat pocket.
            I've never had to replace a mag... yet! 🤞

Comment

Deer season, I carry five slugs in the gun and five more in a little neoprene zipper pouch in my fanny pack; and in the car bag on the backseat, another five in a drawstring Crown Royal bag. Every year, I think about the unlikelihood of even needing all of the first five -- but then I figure, they're not doing any harm coming along for the ride, and doing nothing at all sitting on the shelf at home.

Plus my brother is a terrible shot and has been known to empty his gun with no deer to show for it. I give him crap about it, tell him to practice more, etc. -- but at the same time, if it happens when there's still a lot of light left, I wouldn't want him to have to quit for the day.
              MattM37
              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
              Last edited by MattM37; 12-02-2021, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Perfect weather for deer gun season. Total is 4pt, 6pt and doe. One friend had a brand new side by side atv and first day was fine, second day it quit in the pasture and that was it for the duration. Towed it back and tried everything and no go. New electronics are great until they fail.

Comment

AsI have mentioned before there have been some strange prints around camp and an occasional howl at night. talked to some others during deer season and they had some interesting stories. Seems one won't go to his camp alone any more. Another had three bangs on the side of his camp one night - nobody around, Another had things thrown at him and growls near by. See map at www.BFRO.net
                  jhjimbo
                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-08-2021, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
                    AsI have mentioned before there have been some strange prints around camp and an occasional howl at night. talked to some others during deer season and they had some interesting stories. Seems one won't go to his camp alone any more. Another had three bangs on the side of his camp one night - nobody around, Another had things thrown at him and growls near by. See map at www.BFRO.net
                    Might be anti-hunters who've been watching their "Finding Bigfoot" episodes. Impersonating a Sasquatch is probably more fun than slashing tires or running through the woods with airhorns.

Comment

https://exemplore.com/cryptids/Why-B...gfoot-Debunked

Could be a bear or other animals.
                      Bigfoot doesn't exist.

Comment

Originally posted by Danbo View Post
                        https://exemplore.com/cryptids/Why-B...gfoot-Debunked

Could be a bear or other animals.
                        Bigfoot doesn't exist.

The article dances around a hypothesis it did not prove. Thousands of real people witnesses disprove the article.
                        Just because there is not suitable evidence for the author does not mean it does not exist.
                        There are convicted people sitting in jail that did not have any hard evidence at their trial.

Comment

Hundreds of thousands of game cameras all across the U.S..
                          Too many to NOT catch "bigfoot", somewhere....if there ever was any such thing!
                          BTW! No body or remains.

Comment

Never figured Bigfoot as a flat lander. I mean really, Ohio??????

Click image for larger version

Name:	C953D579-7199-49B6-87B3-1EFE96A26503.gif
Views:	57
Size:	971.9 KB
ID:	787247

Comment

I carry all the rounds I can pack just in case I run into a tribe of hostile Bigfoot! Bigfoots? Bigfeet?
                              Seriously, I put four under the bolt, close the bolt on an empty chamber, and sometimes add the fifth one from the ammo carrier on the stock. If the ammo carrier is full, I have 13 rounds. Due to age and wear and tear, some of the carriers have really loose elastic, so I don't put shells in those. Generally, +/- 13. Sometimes I have a partial box in my do-wah bag, or some loose rounds, but I seldom carry the bag into the blind.
                              I can't recall ever emptying a magazine, but sometimes I will top off out of the elastic shell carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                                Never figured Bigfoot as a flat lander. I mean really, Ohio??????

Click image for larger version

Name:	C953D579-7199-49B6-87B3-1EFE96A26503.gif
Views:	57
Size:	971.9 KB
ID:	787247

There were reports of some sort of "swamp thing" in the Tex-Ark-Lou area back in the late 40's, early 50's.
                                Again, no photos, no evidence, no bodies, no remains. Just oral reports.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Omicron
                                  jhjimbo
                                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  I did not know it was that high. And, long term is much more than taste - they are talking heart and other organs....
                                  Today, 03:32 PM
                                • Omicron
                                  jhjimbo
                                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
                                  11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
                                • Reply to Jmo
                                  jhjimbo
                                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  IF Russia ousts the Ukraine Government, the question is, can he hold it ??
                                  Today, 03:27 PM
                                • Jmo
                                  jhjimbo
                                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  Two huge forces at play right now and one lurking in the background and I am not sure if they are coupled. On the one hand we have Powell and his hesitancy...
                                  Today, 03:19 PM
                                • Reply to Jmo
                                  jhjimbo
                                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                  by jhjimbo
                                  The news makes a big thing about the State Dept require Americans to leave our Embassy. Do you think if Russians got to Kiev they would harm our Embassy...
                                  Today, 03:25 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X