Last day of rifle season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last day of rifle season

After fiddlef***ing around the last 2 weeks, I decided to hunt the final day of rifle deer season yesterday afternoon. I went out on foot from the cabin and went up the mountain about 1/2 mile and found a good stump. Just before dark, the does started moving and the big 8 pt that eluded my buddy all season was trailing them. He subsequently got run off by a 10 pt that circled around and raked a sapling 35 yards from me. I decided to let him keep romancing the deer sisters and let him walk. I don't need the meat. Certain measure of success knowing I could have easily killed either of them. Probably my last hunt on this land as we're likely to move South before next season. Happy Trails

Yep, good ending to the season. As you know, our rifle season started today. I hunted yesterday for the last day of primitive weapons. Took the wife to Tannehill Trade Days today. May hunt tomorrow afternoon at the lease.

Comment

One of my late afternoon, last day hunt I was out and rattled in a WT. A big 8pt, he had a rack that was as whiite as snow. I figured he made it through hunting season I would let him pass but first take a pic. of him. When I tried that it spooked him and I never did got the shot. Have not seen him since. Never have seen a deer with such a white rack - something genetic or diatary I think.

Comment

Good to hear from you WAM , great story ! That’s what it’s all about , one paragraph worth reading over and over ! True success !

Comment

First off, great to hear from you WAM!
          Success isn't always "breaking sears"! Sometimes, success is simply participating.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
            First off, great to hear from you WAM!
            Success isn't always "breaking sears"! Sometimes, success is simply participating.
            And the biggest success, is surviving the entire ordeal ! That does not necessarily mean staying alive, but keeping one’s mind in the process...........

Comment

Thanks for sharing that WaM. Sat on a certain rock today myself, surrounded by ghosts of seasons past. Passed on several does later on. Not sure exactly why.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post

And the biggest success, is surviving the entire ordeal ! That does not necessarily mean staying alive, but keeping one’s mind in the process...........
                Yes sir.
                It seems my stars have been realigning. Still enjoy the hunt and still get that "rush" when I see one.

fitch270, my "ghosts" of seasons past can't easily be revisited, but my heart and mind have 30 years of memories! Good and bad. Man, those were some great times!

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                  Thanks for sharing that WaM. Sat on a certain rock today myself, surrounded by ghosts of seasons past. Passed on several does later on. Not sure exactly why.
                  It’s not all about the killing. I love being on the mountain and watching nature’s drama unfold. Cheers

Comment

Good for you!

Comment

When I was younger, I depended on the meat and only had a day or two to get my deer. I've always enjoyed the outdoors and observing wildlife though. Now that I have time to enjoy nature I'm not so anxious to shoot a big one. I like to see them and an evening like yours is as good as it gets.

Comment

Great to see a post from you WAM. Always enjoyed your contributions when this sight was a good source of hunting and fishing info. I rarely log in anymore since its become a political bitch session that generally not worth reading. Too bad all the old good guys left F&S.... Stay healthy WAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenton View Post
                          Great to see a post from you WAM. Always enjoyed your contributions when this sight was a good source of hunting and fishing info. I rarely log in anymore since its become a political bitch session that generally not worth reading. Too bad all the old good guys left F&S.... Stay healthy WAM.
                          I hope you check in from time to time and post about hunting and shooting, as I totally agree with you concerning the political and other drivel garbage. I do not even open anything that is not about hunting or shooting.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Abortion Up To States
                            by 99explorer
                            When an appeals court reviews a case, it looks at past rulings on the subject for a precedent, as the question of law may already have been decided....
                            Today, 11:11 AM
                          • Abortion Up To States
                            by jhjimbo
                            Court reversed abortion, back to the States where it should have been in the first place. Let them vote on it.
                            Yesterday, 12:22 PM
                          • Reply to TGIF; Party Time
                            by PigHunter
                            Right Said Fred - "I'm Too Sexy"

And I'm too sexy for your party
                            Too sexy for your party
                            No way I'm disco dancing...
                            Today, 10:21 AM
                          • TGIF; Party Time
                            by fitch270
                            Almost, Friday evening actually but looking for a play list, lol.

Getting it rolling with The Cars.

06-22-2022, 10:06 AM
                          • Reply to You guys are sleeping
                            by 99explorer
                            I think what you are saying is that our elected officials would disarm the public to prevent an armed insurrection.
                            Not for reasons of public safety,...
                            Today, 10:16 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X