Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Lmbo!!!!πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I have ignored your silly little barbs and attempted to be civil towards you.
    I've also reached out to you on the PM feature to try and settle our differences.
    You've refused.

Well, MISTER jhjimbo, you have just proven you don't have enough common sense to differentiate between a pun and a gaffe.
    You are the perfect example of the difference between "smart" and "intelligent"!
    Sadly, common sense can't be taught, so I guess that leaves you to continue your little asinine gaffes for the rest of your life.
    Really pathetic.
    A track is not a barb you fool, it is a fact.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    It is a track you fool, not a scent. They are not dogs.
    I have ignored your silly little barbs and attempted to be civil towards you.
    I've also reached out to you on the PM feature to try and settle our differences.
    You've refused.

Well, MISTER jhjimbo, you have just proven you don't have enough common sense to differentiate between a pun and a gaffe.
    You are the perfect example of the difference between "smart" and "intelligent"!
    Sadly, common sense can't be taught, so I guess that leaves you to continue your little asinine gaffes for the rest of your life.
    Really pathetic.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    It is a track you fool, not a scent. They are not dogs.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well.
    Whatever. I've read several of the stories about them. They were definitely determined once they picked up a "scent"! πŸ™‚
    In the environment they were in, they were VERY capable!
    ...and their success is proof that hunting isn't a "ho-hum" venture.
    To be successful, it takes hardwork and dedication!

Leave a comment:

• franchi20
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    Another great old-time hunter was Joe Gutkowski, the elk hunter that FS's Keith McCafferty mentioned in quite a few stories.

I betcha Bill Heavey's foraging friend Paula Smith would make a fine hunter, too.
    McCafferty just put up another story about Joe on the main page. I think Paula is already a hunter, but without a gun.

Leave a comment:

• MattM37
    replied
    Another great old-time hunter was Joe Gutkowski, the elk hunter that FS's Keith McCafferty mentioned in quite a few stories.

I betcha Bill Heavey's foraging friend Paula Smith would make a fine hunter, too.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
    "The Greatest"?
    The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
    He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
    No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
    The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! πŸ˜‰
    Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter

With your cursor/mouse, drag across and highlight the text within your post you want, then click on remove format
    o.k., i'll try that - I thinkk I hit select all.

I highlighted the paragraph and hit the 'I' and nothing happened except the highlight was removed.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 02:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    "The Greatest"?
    The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
    He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
    No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
    The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! πŸ˜‰

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

O.K I got the advanced editor and hit the I for remove format and nothing happens ?? how does that work ??

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
    I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.

The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

>>> No snow tracking of deer in my woods! <<<
    How do I activate the tooll bar? Sometimes a copy- paste shows up as this one and sometimes they do not. Not sure the difference.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
    I used to have a Benoit brothers DVD, good info about tracking and shooting running deer, and entertaining, too.

On a smaller scale -- typically, smaller deer and definitely much smaller woods -- I like to snow-track once in a while just to break up the usual trail-watching and still-hunting. I almost always run into a property line I can't cross before I ever see a deer, but it's always interesting when you really start paying close attention to tracks like that.
    Or, your heart races when you come upon a bed that is still steaming.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
    I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.

The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

>>> No snow tracking of deer in my woods! <<<
    In the summer the trackers pick up the big tracks from around lakes and streams then try to keep on them. Back in the '60's some magazines featured the group - don't now if they still do it. There is a guy around Rome N.Y. in his 40's who huntss the North Country that is amassing amazing success. Don't remember his name. He only said he does 'hunt hard'.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
    Just once I’m going to snow track a deer if it ever snows enough down here lol!
    Once in my life, I had the opportunity to track a deer in the snow!
    I was blown away at the blood spatter behind where the deer was standing!
    I turned to the left to follow the deer, and there it lay! Maybe 15 feet from where I shot it!
    Heckuva tracking job, huh?
    Texas and Oklahoma don't offer much opportunity to track deer in the snow! πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to AG Garland is a real low life!
    by bowhunter75richard
    The best explanation I have heard of Garland came from a speaker on Fox news who used the term β€˜demented weasel’ !! That pretty much covers it all...
    Yesterday, 11:11 PM
  • AG Garland is a real low life!
    by FirstBubba
    We may question why presidents pardon the people they do.
    In the history of the United States, no person, pardoned by POTUS has had their pardon...
    08-13-2022, 10:18 PM
  • Reply to Bye, bye bills!
    by bowhunter75richard
    Well, I guess all that gibberish pretty much confirms biden is not the actual one in charge of America. There are far, far too many words in all that...
    Yesterday, 11:04 PM
  • Bye, bye bills!
    by FirstBubba
    Some of the things Revelation warns us about the "end of times".
    One world government.
    One world leader.
    Obe world religion....
    Yesterday, 10:18 PM
  • Reply to FBI Raids Trumps Florida Home
    by bowhunter75richard
    The entirety of our present position in political discourse, infighting and hate can be placed almost totally on one person, and that one person is free...
    Yesterday, 10:46 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
Working...
X