Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Greatest

Subject: Great Hunters

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
    I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.

The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.

>>> No snow tracking of deer in my woods! <<<

Comment

I used to have a Benoit brothers DVD, good info about tracking and shooting running deer, and entertaining, too.

On a smaller scale -- typically, smaller deer and definitely much smaller woods -- I like to snow-track once in a while just to break up the usual trail-watching and still-hunting. I almost always run into a property line I can't cross before I ever see a deer, but it's always interesting when you really start paying close attention to tracks like that.

Comment

Just once Iā€™m going to snow track a deer if it ever snows enough down here lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          Just once Iā€™m going to snow track a deer if it ever snows enough down here lol!
          Once in my life, I had the opportunity to track a deer in the snow!
          I was blown away at the blood spatter behind where the deer was standing!
          I turned to the left to follow the deer, and there it lay! Maybe 15 feet from where I shot it!
          Heckuva tracking job, huh?
          Texas and Oklahoma don't offer much opportunity to track deer in the snow! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
            Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

In the summer the trackers pick up the big tracks from around lakes and streams then try to keep on them. Back in the '60's some magazines featured the group - don't now if they still do it. There is a guy around Rome N.Y. in his 40's who huntss the North Country that is amassing amazing success. Don't remember his name. He only said he does 'hunt hard'.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
              I used to have a Benoit brothers DVD, good info about tracking and shooting running deer, and entertaining, too.

On a smaller scale -- typically, smaller deer and definitely much smaller woods -- I like to snow-track once in a while just to break up the usual trail-watching and still-hunting. I almost always run into a property line I can't cross before I ever see a deer, but it's always interesting when you really start paying close attention to tracks like that.
              Or, your heart races when you come upon a bed that is still steaming.

Comment

How do I activate the tooll bar? Sometimes a copy- paste shows up as this one and sometimes they do not. Not sure the difference.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Advanced Editor.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	783990

Comment

O.K I got the advanced editor and hit the I for remove format and nothing happens ?? how does that work ??

Comment

"The Greatest"?
                      The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
                      He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
                      No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
                      The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! šŸ˜‰

Comment

Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

O.K I got the advanced editor and hit the I for remove format and nothing happens ?? how does that work ??
                        With your cursor/mouse, drag across and highlight the text within your post you want, then click on remove format

Comment

With your cursor/mouse, drag across and highlight the text within your post you want, then click on remove format
                          o.k., i'll try that - I thinkk I hit select all.

I highlighted the paragraph and hit the 'I' and nothing happened except the highlight was removed.
                          Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                            "The Greatest"?
                            The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
                            He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
                            No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
                            The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! šŸ˜‰
                            Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well.
                            Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Another great old-time hunter was Joe Gutkowski, the elk hunter that FS's Keith McCafferty mentioned in quite a few stories.

I betcha Bill Heavey's foraging friend Paula Smith would make a fine hunter, too.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                I have heard the differential diagnosis is based on the mild temp increase up to about 101, not higher.
                                My normal temp is 97, so the 101 rule won't...
                                Today, 01:29 AM
                              • Omicron
                                by jhjimbo
                                Name for new African virus. In Greek means 'we're screwed'.
                                11-26-2021, 02:05 PM
                              • Reply to Wild or Store Bought
                                by FirstBubba
                                I can feel my jaw muscles torquing up now! Man those things are G-U-D "good"!...
                                Yesterday, 10:56 PM
                              • Wild or Store Bought
                                by jhjimbo
                                What is your preference for Turkeys ? I was at a home that cooked both and I have to say the wild turkey was very good. No white meat and very moist...
                                11-24-2021, 10:19 AM
                              • Reply to Books for Christmas
                                by FirstBubba
                                If anyone is a true outdoors "person", any Peter Hathaway Capstick book is a grand read and anything by Gene Hill is good.
                                I'm sure there...
                                Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X