Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Greatest

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Greatest




    Subject: Great Hunters

    Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
    I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.


    The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)













  • #2
    I used to have a Benoit brothers DVD, good info about tracking and shooting running deer, and entertaining, too.

    On a smaller scale -- typically, smaller deer and definitely much smaller woods -- I like to snow-track once in a while just to break up the usual trail-watching and still-hunting. I almost always run into a property line I can't cross before I ever see a deer, but it's always interesting when you really start paying close attention to tracks like that.

    Comment


    • #3
      Just once Iā€™m going to snow track a deer if it ever snows enough down here lol!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
        Just once Iā€™m going to snow track a deer if it ever snows enough down here lol!
        Once in my life, I had the opportunity to track a deer in the snow!
        I was blown away at the blood spatter behind where the deer was standing!
        I turned to the left to follow the deer, and there it lay! Maybe 15 feet from where I shot it!
        Heckuva tracking job, huh?
        Texas and Oklahoma don't offer much opportunity to track deer in the snow! šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by PigHunter
          Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

          Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
          I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.

          The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

          >>> No snow tracking of deer in my woods! <<<
          In the summer the trackers pick up the big tracks from around lakes and streams then try to keep on them. Back in the '60's some magazines featured the group - don't now if they still do it. There is a guy around Rome N.Y. in his 40's who huntss the North Country that is amassing amazing success. Don't remember his name. He only said he does 'hunt hard'.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
            I used to have a Benoit brothers DVD, good info about tracking and shooting running deer, and entertaining, too.

            On a smaller scale -- typically, smaller deer and definitely much smaller woods -- I like to snow-track once in a while just to break up the usual trail-watching and still-hunting. I almost always run into a property line I can't cross before I ever see a deer, but it's always interesting when you really start paying close attention to tracks like that.
            Or, your heart races when you come upon a bed that is still steaming.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PigHunter
              Jimbo, you can use the "Remove Format" tab to make your cut and paste readable. It's the 2nd from the left when you activate the "Advanced Editor" toolbar.

              Great story about great hunters. Check out the stock on Larry Benoits' Remington 760, 30-06.In the Adirondacks there was a group of Lumber Co. employees who practiced Larry's method of tracking big deer. All year they would find a track and run after it until the saw the deer. Adirondacks is not noted for high % of success but they are noted for 300lb deer and that is what they got.
              I have a few books on the Benoits and they are really the top of the hunt.

              The 13 Greatest Deer Hunters of All Time | Field & Stream (fieldandstream.com)

              >>> No snow tracking of deer in my woods! <<<
              How do I activate the tooll bar? Sometimes a copy- paste shows up as this one and sometimes they do not. Not sure the difference.

              Comment


              • #8



                O.K I got the advanced editor and hit the I for remove format and nothing happens ?? how does that work ??

                Comment


                • #9
                  "The Greatest"?
                  The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
                  He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
                  No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
                  The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! šŸ˜‰

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PigHunter

                    With your cursor/mouse, drag across and highlight the text within your post you want, then click on remove format
                    o.k., i'll try that - I thinkk I hit select all.

                    I highlighted the paragraph and hit the 'I' and nothing happened except the highlight was removed.
                    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 02:08 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
                      "The Greatest"?
                      The "greatest" deer hunter I've ever known was my dad!
                      He seemed to have an uncanny ability to know where a deer would be or would move.
                      No, he isn't/wasn't a Benoit and didn't shoot a .30-06 and nobody ever wrote any stories about him.
                      The Benoit's are an '06 shootin', plaid wearin', Rem lovin' family in Maine. They ARE legendary deer hunters...but I've never been to Maine! šŸ˜‰
                      Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well.
                      Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-28-2021, 02:09 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Another great old-time hunter was Joe Gutkowski, the elk hunter that FS's Keith McCafferty mentioned in quite a few stories.

                        I betcha Bill Heavey's foraging friend Paula Smith would make a fine hunter, too.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                          Another great old-time hunter was Joe Gutkowski, the elk hunter that FS's Keith McCafferty mentioned in quite a few stories.

                          I betcha Bill Heavey's foraging friend Paula Smith would make a fine hunter, too.
                          McCafferty just put up another story about Joe on the main page. I think Paula is already a hunter, but without a gun.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

                            Benoit family was from Vermont although I am sure they hunted Maine as well.
                            Whatever. I've read several of the stories about them. They were definitely determined once they picked up a "scent"! šŸ™‚
                            In the environment they were in, they were VERY capable!
                            ...and their success is proof that hunting isn't a "ho-hum" venture.
                            To be successful, it takes hardwork and dedication!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              It is a track you fool, not a scent. They are not dogs.

                              Comment

                              Welcome!

                              Collapse

                              Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

                              If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

                              And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

                              Right Rail 1

                              Collapse

                              Top Active Users

                              Collapse

                              There are no top active users.

                              Right Rail 2

                              Collapse

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              • Reply to New Weatherby Load
                                by jhjimbo
                                I am using a different kind of bullet in my 9mm Remington pistol. It is Remington's 'Black Belt'. The rear of the bullet is a belt like a 'o' ring...
                                Today, 10:09 PM
                              • New Weatherby Load
                                by jhjimbo
                                Weatherby now loads the 'Hammer' bullet in the .300WbyMag....
                                05-19-2022, 11:48 AM
                              • Reply to The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                                by 99explorer
                                When Liz Cheney's father was Vice President, I wrote him a letter nominating the three attorneys who represented our side in the Heller case for the Presidential...
                                Today, 09:21 PM
                              • The Constitution or The Big Lie?
                                by rock rat
                                We've had almost 250 years of a peaceful transition of power. Our constitution is mostly about how we elect and who can be elected or appointed to the...
                                Yesterday, 07:24 AM
                              • Fawns
                                by MattM37
                                How's your local herd doing? Around here I seldom see many fawns in May, but everything seems to be a couple-three weeks ahead of schedule and we'll...
                                Today, 07:21 PM

                              Right Rail 3

                              Collapse

                              Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X