Odd injury; Guesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd injury; Guesses?

The past few days this little button buck has been hitting apples that fell off a tree behind our house. The kids had noticed it looked like he’s missing his tail. He came by a few minutes ago and we got the binos out to get a better look, it’s definitely gone. It doesn’t appear recent but the area between where the tailbone would have been and his anus is bare skin. It doesn’t seem infected but does look a bit raw. Any deer I’ve ever gutted had hair there, my guess is some hide came off with the tail. There’s also a small black spot on his right side ham near that area but it’s hard to tell if it’s related. The tail bone is gone, all that’s left are a couple small tufts at the top of his rump. You could see them move when he tried twitching it. The other thing we noticed was he was almost constantly stepping with his right rear leg. He doesn’t stay long when we’re in the windows but he’ll be back.

My guess is he either escaped a coyote grabbing at him or he got tangled up in a fence. No way of knowing but how about some other ideas?

Sorry for the lousy picture, we were digiscoping with the cell phone and the binos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5033B226-7897-4C93-AF3C-ED457FB14B17.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	783140

Name:	EF3FB339-5D98-4A79-8CB9-B0091F0D3830.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	783141

Name:	F10AD899-2352-4F5C-B4A4-E5D756B48462.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	4.19 MB
ID:	783142

He will lose protection from the cold this winter.

Comment

Maybe Bigfoot tried to get him 🙃

I am sitting in a tree now and something hit me in the head. I thought he was throwing rocks again but it was an Acorn.

Comment

When my Rotty was just a pup, we let him in the house.
        He smelled a bit skunky, but not overwhelming.
        I did notice what appeared to be "part" of a skunk in his pen. I carried it off, but I couldn't tell what it was.
        About a week later, I was able to kill a skunk behind his pen. The skunk had no tail.
        AHA!

fitch270, I don't think a coyote has the physical strength to "detail"(?) a deer.
        A coyote, or a pack, go for the hamstring then gang up.
        It could have also happened when he was smaller.

I dunno?

Comment

Maybe a near miss with an automobile where the tail was caught by a grill, bumper or trim?

Comment

We need a real camera, the old point and shoot sits in a drawer without batteries or a memory card in it. At least that has some zoom capabilities.

He’s this year’s fawn and the injury looks to be healed but it appears he lost some hide in the process. Like Jim mentioned, his butt is going to freeze this winter. He also gives himself away not being able to cover the white on his backside. Not sure what’s up with his leg. If something got him it was probably when he was little. Coyote, bear, bobcat, fisher, fox, someone’s dog?

He doesn’t seem too worse for wear at this point but I’m going to keep a lookout for him. Seems a bit odd he’s on his own already. Probably better off than having three legs but those tails have purpose. He’s fair game with a doe permit, if we haven’t punched a few tags by muzzleloader season and the weather goes bad quick he may get put down given the opportunity.

Comment

I guess I watched too many cartoons as a kid: I read the post and immediately pictured a hungry weasel or small fisher clamped on a deer's tail, refusing to let go, flopping all around as the deer bolted through a field trying to shake it off. Or maybe it was a pack of cub coyotes making one of their first-ever kill attempts. The cub that held on, as the deer ran off, is now famous in the coyote world.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                I guess I watched too many cartoons as a kid: I read the post and immediately pictured a hungry weasel or small fisher clamped on a deer's tail, refusing to let go, flopping all around as the deer bolted through a field trying to shake it off. Or maybe it was a pack of cub coyotes making one of their first-ever kill attempts. The cub that held on, as the deer ran off, is now famous in the coyote world.
                This is funny.

Mean, but funny.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad