No announcement yet.

The Two Dominators getting ready for hunting-Steel out to 500 yards with videos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Two Dominators getting ready for hunting-Steel out to 500 yards with videos

On Friday I went out to Mac's Gunworks to zero and get some drops out to 500 yards with my two Pachmayr Dominator's. These both have long eye pistol scopes on them with external turrets. It is very difficult to shoot accurately at distance with just holding over.
    With a 1911 frame and trigger, and not being able to use a bi-pod, makes the Dominator system a little more challenging to use. I used a front rest and a Holland's small field bag under the pistol grip.
    The Dominator on the left is a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 15" barrel. Scope is the Leupold 2.5-8 EER. The drops on the grip are for my 140 A-Max load, which I did not use yesterday.
    The one on the right is a 25 Creedmoor, and it has a 14" barrel and a Harrel brake. The barrel is heavier also. Once new trigger/hammer parts were put in, the trigger pull is great for a 1911.
    Initially, the trigger pull was quite heavy, and being the trigger snob that I am, I didn't like it-Now I love it!
    It shoots the .257 110 grain Nosler Accubonds at 2726 fps.
    I like the classic looks of the 6.5, but the 25 has become my favorite.
    This is the first time I have used the new Weaver 2-6 pistol scope.
    You can zero these turrets easily, and so far the adjustment have been spot on to meet me needs.
    I like the eye relief better on the Weaver than the Leupold on the Dominator at least.
    I knew the velocity with the 110's, so I stated with the 25 Creed.
    I had to re-zero at 100 yards, since I had put a new scope on it.
    I got lucky, and within 3-shots I was off to shooting steel.
    I started at 300 yards on a 10" piece of steel, and I didn't hold or dial for wind. I shot right.
    Either the wind was doing something weird then or I pushed the shot right with some bad fundamentals. I am not really sure.
    With all the further shots, from that time forward, I had to deal with an ever increasing quartering tail wind to full value wind from right to left.
    I was just checking to make sure my drops were solid.
    300 yards
    https://youtu.be/d3zrtvKhxdI

Then, I jumped out to 500 yards.
    https://youtu.be/J7LHdOVNYWY
    You don't have to have a lot of magnification to connect at distances further than 500 yards.
    If I had my druthers though, I would like to have more than 6x, but I was happy with the shots at 500.
    Took some pics, videos, and painted targets.
    The wind continued to get faster with some gusting-Notice the swinging steel targets as an indicator!
    Time to shoot the 6.5 Creed Dominator.
    I tried some Hornady factory ammo that used the 120 grain GMX bullet that I traded for during WY-SHOT.

After a 100 yards zero, I went to the 10 inch plate at 300 yards, and kept subtracting my guesstimate on the velocity until the drops got close.Then, I went to 500 yards where there is a large target, so I could get my wind figured out and it be able to see if my vertical was close. I had to drop my MV more than I thought I would. Notice the swinging plates at 300 and 400 yards.
    I shot at 300, 500, and then back to 400 yards

https://youtu.be/zD9VoOnnYF0
    https://youtu.be/XWjKKUMNvh4
    https://youtu.be/bucddad8_vc
    The factory ammo shot pretty good.
    Looking forward to deer and antelope hunting this year.

Ernie, those are some some incredible handguns you have ! Also I can hear the wind in the videos and that is some serious shooting under those conditions . I did not even know those calibers could be used in the 1911 platform . It’s really impressive what you have done with your handguns over the years and you keep raising the bar. Great post you really pumped me up this afternoon !

Comment

I am glad to be of encouragement.

Comment

Ernie, sorry but I gotta ask, do you keep all the firearms you post up or are you one of those build, tryout, move down the road and start over types? You’ve shown some serious hardware on here.

Comment

I move some every now and then, but many of them stay.
          A number of them are also at a handful of different friends houses, who use them.
          one is hunting mountain goat right now with one of my XP’s

Comment

Gotcha. Seems like it would be hard not only to keep them all in rotation but also to keep track of what works for what. Your record keeping must be something else.

Comment

I need a friend like you Ernie. I’m that guy in my small group everyone calls me to borrow my gear and a couple of guns. The 1911 really peaks my interest. I just need it in 25-06!!!

Comment

Well, that long of a case would not work in the Dominator.
                That being said with a 14" barrel, the 110 grain Accubond at 2726 fps from the muzzle will do a good job of killing out to 550 yards.
                Accubond's have a minimum impact velocity recommendation of 1800 fps.
                Very few people (Regardless of how much you read about LR hunting), kill beyond 500 yards.
                If you lived closer, you could hunt with one of my Dominator pistols.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

On Friday I went out to Mac's Gunworks to zero and get some drops out to 500 yards with my two Pachmayr Dominator's. These both have long eye pistol scopes on them with external turrets. It is very difficult to shoot accurately at distance with just holding over.
                  With a 1911 frame and trigger, and not being able to use a bi-pod, makes the Dominator system a little more challenging to use. I used a front rest and a Holland's small field bag under the pistol grip.
                  The Dominator on the left is a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 15" barrel. Scope is the Leupold 2.5-8 EER. The drops on the grip are for my 140 A-Max load, which I did not use yesterday.
                  The one on the right is a 25 Creedmoor, and it has a 14" barrel and a Harrel brake. The barrel is heavier also. Once new trigger/hammer parts were put in, the trigger pull is great for a 1911.
                  Initially, the trigger pull was quite heavy, and being the trigger snob that I am, I didn't like it-Now I love it!
                  It shoots the .257 110 grain Nosler Accubonds at 2726 fps.
                  I like the classic looks of the 6.5, but the 25 has become my favorite.
                  This is the first time I have used the new Weaver 2-6 pistol scope.
                  You can zero these turrets easily, and so far the adjustment have been spot on to meet me needs.
                  I like the eye relief better on the Weaver than the Leupold on the Dominator at least.
                  I knew the velocity with the 110's, so I stated with the 25 Creed.
                  I had to re-zero at 100 yards, since I had put a new scope on it.
                  I got lucky, and within 3-shots I was off to shooting steel.
                  I started at 300 yards on a 10" piece of steel, and I didn't hold or dial for wind. I shot right.
                  Either the wind was doing something weird then or I pushed the shot right with some bad fundamentals. I am not really sure.
                  With all the further shots, from that time forward, I had to deal with an ever increasing quartering tail wind to full value wind from right to left.
                  I was just checking to make sure my drops were solid.
                  300 yards
                  https://youtu.be/d3zrtvKhxdI

Then, I jumped out to 500 yards.
                  https://youtu.be/J7LHdOVNYWY
                  You don't have to have a lot of magnification to connect at distances further than 500 yards.
                  If I had my druthers though, I would like to have more than 6x, but I was happy with the shots at 500.
                  Took some pics, videos, and painted targets.
                  The wind continued to get faster with some gusting-Notice the swinging steel targets as an indicator!
                  Time to shoot the 6.5 Creed Dominator.
                  I tried some Hornady factory ammo that used the 120 grain GMX bullet that I traded for during WY-SHOT.

After a 100 yards zero, I went to the 10 inch plate at 300 yards, and kept subtracting my guesstimate on the velocity until the drops got close.Then, I went to 500 yards where there is a large target, so I could get my wind figured out and it be able to see if my vertical was close. I had to drop my MV more than I thought I would. Notice the swinging plates at 300 and 400 yards.
                  I shot at 300, 500, and then back to 400 yards

https://youtu.be/zD9VoOnnYF0
                  https://youtu.be/XWjKKUMNvh4
                  https://youtu.be/bucddad8_vc
                  The factory ammo shot pretty good.
                  Looking forward to deer and antelope hunting this year.
                  Ernie when are you going to post your picture ?

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post

Ernie when are you going to post your picture ?
                    What is a drop ?

Comment

pmacc60,
                      What picture are you referring to?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	011C2546-7E02-478C-B11D-A15C6B759C12.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	781223 When I speak about confirming my drops or getting my come ups squared away, I am talking about the amount of correction in either MOA or MIL in the optic either through the turret or through the reticle, so I can be spot on (hit where I want) at a specific distance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                          pmacc60,
                          What picture are you referring to?
                          Your first kill

Comment

My first kill with the Dominator was this mule deer at 265 yards, from the double kneeling position using Bog-Gear.
                            https://youtu.be/PCBWr5zoSFM

Comment

Congratulations Ernie , what a way to break in your new toy. That’s quite a drop chart you posted , kudos to your preparation and success. That’s a really nice buck !

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad