Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to be using bait for deer. It is legal to bait where i am hunting and i was wondering what i should use pumpkins or c

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am going to be using bait for deer. It is legal to bait where i am hunting and i was wondering what i should use pumpkins or c

I am going to be using bait for deer. It is legal to bait where i am hunting and i was wondering what i should use pumpkins or corn?

It depends where you are, and your local laws. You may be able to bait, but there might also be regulations on baiting. so check your local laws.

Comment

If you do try pumpkins, please post your results. I've heard that deer go nuts over them, but you have to break them first, or so I hear. I'd be very interested. One curiosity question, tho, where would you find your pumpkins in any quantity?

Comment

Back in the day when baiting was legal we would get trailer loads of pumpkins and sugar beats. the deer wouldnt touch them unless it was cold out, but if there is a good frost they will go nuts over them. and we would break open a few and then the deer would either break them open by stomping on them or crack them open with their antlers.

Comment

I'd like to watch them cracking those pumpkins open, that would have to be interesting. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Being from south Louisiana, I have never heard of using pumpkins. But what i do know that works very well is cut up sweet potatoes. Deer will go absolutly crazy for this taste. Good luck and good hunting!

Comment

corn

Comment

They like the pumpkins late when other sources aren't available. For ease of hauling and being able to spread it around and make them work for it, I've found that corn is the way to go. Make sure its shelled- the squirrels will run away with all your ears.

Comment

I've never baited but have seen many deer beside grain piles so my vote goes to corn. I would be curious to hear how the pumpkins work though

Comment

Nothing!!!
                    Legal or not, baiting is NOT hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I say go for pumpkins, they love it!!!

Comment

I use apples a local orchard gives me all the apples on the ground free. When they run out I go to corn. Tried pumpkins and so far they are untouched. BTW I use the bait station for meat deer. Mature bucks only visit at night anyway.

Comment

Corn. Pumpkins don't come out of my feeder very well.

Comment

No I don't think so. I would only use baiting if the deer are spread out all over the place. I would use corn. But if they are walking right by yo htere is no need to bait them.

Comment

Cotn acorns salt licks with mollasses,apples,pears you name it hey will likely eat it.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by bowhunter75richard
                                The stupidity of some people, and I will not embarrass them by name, only a given quote.......”.biden never withheld money from Ukraine” is almost...
                                Today, 04:14 PM
                              • Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Weird! Wyoming Republicans didn't vote for a pretend Republican that hangs out with the anti-American, anti-oil and gas, anti-cow, anti-farm and ranch...
                                08-16-2022, 11:20 PM
                              • Reply to Liz Cheney loses big!
                                by labrador12
                                Before Hunter's laptop from hell was exposed the media and you got away with that crap. After the laptop, with the pictures, and the emails it doesn't...
                                Today, 03:27 PM
                              • Reply to Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Thanks. That looks impressive! I finally joined a range so I could zero the old Springfield out to 300 meters. Bought new dies and brought the bullets...
                                Today, 03:21 PM
                              • Posting to blogs
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                Haven't been around for a while. Is it no longer possible to post comments to editor blogs?
                                08-03-2022, 06:24 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X