No announcement yet.

Guided hunts kind of like cheating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a good point jimbo ! Many good hunting and fishing spots have been ruined by loose lips and inviting friends or relatives to ‘secret’ places only to get screwed by supposed ‘friends’ or even relatives.

Comment

From bowhunter75richard: "Many good hunting and fishing spots have been ruined by loose lips and inviting friends or relatives to ‘secret’ places only to get screwed by supposed ‘friends’ or even relatives."

That is a very good point, and one that leased hunting takes care of very neatly. On our lease, no one gets in without a recommendation and a verification from one of the original members. Then, he has to meet the approval of the landowner and stay up to standards with both the landowner, and the group. We have culled a few members over the years, for various transgressions.

Comment

Good spots are also ruined by different people having completely different perceptions of hunting -- or being ignorant of the fact that there are perceptions different than theirs to begin with.

One of our older relatives who was awfully generous giving people permission to hunt our family woods was a hunter himself once upon a time. But back in his day, and in his crowd, it was all about a dozen guys going out together and mobbing the woods, and of course all the beer-drinking they'd do during and after. He was totally clueless to the fact that it just wasn't like that anymore, and definitely not for us.
        Last edited by MattM37; 06-18-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I've experienced screwups by well intentioned people that just couldn't fathom they might be in error.

We crossed the edge of another lease to get to ours. They had a stand we drove by.
          The holders of that lease asked us, politely, to not cross their lease until after 10am and before 3pm.
          Old Bill decided since he paid to hunt our lease, he would come and go as he pleased. We lost that access to our lease. Bill didn't come back (wasn't invited back) the next year.
          THEN...Mitch decided to cut the chain, put our lock in the loop.
          "Mitch, don't do that." I warned him.
          "It won't hurt anything." Mitch said.
          "Don't do it." I reiterated.
          Sure enough, he did it.
          Sure enough, just like I warned him, he lost his spot on our lease.
          Just because he wouldn't listen and thought his actions innocent.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
            That is a good point jimbo ! Many good hunting and fishing spots have been ruined by loose lips and inviting friends or relatives to ‘secret’ places only to get screwed by supposed ‘friends’ or even relatives.
            I showed a former friend and hunting buddy several of my favorite spots on public land. He moved away and we drifted apart. The following season I was setting PigHuntress up in an improvised blind overlooking a food plot with thick undergrowth around. About 50 yards away, out pops two guys and they waved and started walking towards the other end of the field. For safety's sake, I went to see if they were going to hang around. Lo and behold, it was that buddy and he'd just showed a new friend one of my good spots in the near valley. I pointed out our blind and said we'd be hunting there. He said no problem, they were going to move on and he walked all the way down the field and into the far woods, no doubt leaving scent everywhere. We'd known him and his wife for 8 years and he didn't even bother saying hello to PigHuntress. She later told me she'd contemplated putting a 150gr into him. Found out he'd made several passes at her while I was on assignment in California. Guess he has no respect for boundaries, lol!
            Last edited by PigHunter; 06-18-2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=PigHunter;n773974]

I showed a former friend and hunting buddy several of my favorite spots on public land. He moved away and we drifted apart. The following season I was setting PigHuntress up in an improvised blind overlooking a food plot with thick undergrowth around. About 50 yards away, out pops two guys and they waved and started walking towards the other end of the field. For safety's sake, I went to see if they were going to hang around. Lo and behold, it was that buddy and he'd just showed a new friend one of my good spots in the near valley. I pointed out our blind and said we'd be hunting there. He said no problem, they were going to move on and he walked all the way down the field and into the far woods, no doubt leaving scent everywhere. We'd known him and his wife for 8 years and he didn't even bother saying hello to PigHuntress. She later told me she'd contemplated putting a 150gr into him. Found out he'd made several passes at her while I was on assignment in California. Guess he has no respect for boundaries, lol!
              people have no respect now days. I don’t get upset at much but making a pass at my wife will get me wound out real quick. Thought it would get better with age but it hasn’t lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                people have no respect now days. I don’t get upset at much but making a pass at my wife will get me wound out real quick. Thought it would get better with age but it hasn’t lol!
                Well, it hasn't gotten better for me. I'm very protective and disrespect towards my Lady is the quickest path to my anger. I've stepped onto the dance floor several times to call out handsy guys. So far they've all apologized and none has stood toe-to-toe. I've asked PigHuntress to help keep me out of jail. She's had to tell a few they better back off, pointing me out and letting them know I'm the jealous husband.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Well, it hasn't gotten better for me. I'm very protective and disrespect towards my Lady is the quickest path to my anger. I've stepped onto the dance floor several times to call out handsy guys. So far they've all apologized and none has stood toe-to-toe. I've asked PigHuntress to help keep me out of jail. She's had to tell a few they better back off, pointing me out and letting them know I'm the jealous husband.
                  Mine will bail me out lol! Mine does the same points out I’m a jealous husband. A couple of years ago. One for them said he didn’t care and tried to keep on. She warned him he didn’t listen. Anyways he thought he could handle it he could not! And he was a much larger guy than me. And I’m 6’ 245lbs. Anyways it took two guys to peel me off of him they finally stopped me when they were worried I was really going to hurt him I don’t even remember most of it. I was told I was choking him to death I don’t remember anything but getting really upset.
                  Last edited by Milldawg; 06-21-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

Yep, some guys are total idiots and don't know to fear a jealous husband. There's many ways to take down a larger guy, so I've heard.

Comment

It’s basically just a single player and co-op game, it’s not like they’re gaining an advantage in PVP. Even if you encounter an obvious modded game in multiplayer just snaptube vidmate leave and find a new one.
                      Last edited by adomanim1; 07-16-2021, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad