No announcement yet.

Guided hunts kind of like cheating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing with guide hunts or fishing is they are in the woods or on the water almost every day of the season. In addition if a fishing guide is not doing anything he can get on the radio and ask other guides where they are. On Erie they have locations coded so everyone does not know what they are saying. Hunt guides use their experience to place hunters based on trails that are being used. I have limited out on salmon with guides and have always had 50% success of the group deer or bear hunting

Comment

I see what everyone is saying. But it just feels weird I guess.

Comment

I have only been on one guided hunt in my many years of hunting, that being in Newfoundland on a bowhunt for moose, and I can truly say, it was not cheating. It was 90% open tundra, miles and miles of hunting space. My best chance at a nice bull was all on my own after we had spotted the bull, the guide then allowed me to go after him alone and just waited until I returned to him. It was my own carelessness that caused me to not get a shot in my stalk, was within 50 yards but spooked him and a smaller bull that also came into the picture, returned to the guide empty handed ! Would do it again in a heart beat, one of the best hunts I was ever on. Do it ‘dawg, and have a good time !!

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
          I see what everyone is saying. But it just feels weird I guess.
          I had to do a lot of rethinking on this, 'dawg.

Think about it...!
          You "buy" into a lease.
          You buy a gun.
          You plant a food plot.
          etc, etc, etc.....
          By the time you make all those purchases and burn that much "spare" time, you could have easily paid for a (ahem!) "guided" hunt ... and then some!
          Like most of us here, you find pleasure in doing those things yourself. I know I do.

On one of my trips to Kodiak, I hooked into a nice chinook salmon. I'm standing at the rail, fighting this fish as hard as I could.
          The captain came by and said, "What are you doing?" as I continued to grind on the reel.
          "I'm trying to boat this salmon!", I said with a grimace!
          "Slow down." he said, "Enjoy the ride."
          Later that day, I hooked into another nice chinook.
          I'm standing at the rail as the chinook races away from the boat. I'm applying a little pressure when the captain comes by and says, "What are you doing?"
          Smiling, I told him, "Enjoying the ride, captain. Enjoying the ride."
          He smiled and moved on down the rail helping other anglers.

'dawg, "Enjoy The Ride"! 😉😎

P.S. - you don't HAVE to pull the trigger! Just enjoy yourself!

Comment

I guess doing it on my own for so long. And not really having a true hunting mentor I’ve become accustomed to doing my way alone. I may give it try because it sure won’t cost me more than what I was planning on spending to hunt. I just offered a guy 2500 bucks cash on the spot for 250 acres of hunting land on the Mississippi River and didn’t even want to duck hunt it. And he turned it down. So I’m at a loss. The sport that loved so much has changed so much. It’s actually kind of depressing. I never thought I’d see deer hunting become the sport of kings. Like duck hunting. Anyways it’s starting to look like my only option this year. Or sell my business so I can have my time back.

Comment

I take it you're in a state or area of your state that doesn't have much public land. Your last post really hit me. I feel for you; sounds like you're pretty down. It's hard to believe that some states have so little to offer publicly, and in my opinion, that's just wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                I take it you're in a state or area of your state that doesn't have much public land. Your last post really hit me. I feel for you; sounds like you're pretty down. It's hard to believe that some states have so little to offer publicly, and in my opinion, that's just wrong.
                Even though our state is screwed up we are blessed with an abundance of public land.

I can drive twenty minutes any direction and hunt Deer on public land.

Comment

Texas and Oklahoma are pretty much like that. Lease properties can be difficult to locate.
                  It's not so bad in Texas, but in Oklahoma, you must always be aware that people will often lease a place out from under you.
                  You've been paying, say $1500. Thieves will offer $2000. The landowners are in it for the money. Suddenly, you're without a lease!

Comment

Originally posted by MattM37 View Post
                    There is some but it’s mostly bow. Gun season rules are crazy and antler width and point restrictions QDMA has ruined deer hunting in the south. I’m starting to see why old guys give it up.

Comment

Used to be you'd knock on a door and that was it. Some states as long as it wasn't posted, it was open to hunting. Ought to make it illegal to charge money to hunt. Every person has an equal chance.

I almost always hunt alone. I like figuring out where the critters will be, with game so thin on the ground just about no one here stand hunts, everything is spot and stalk, and in thick cover it's walk and stalk. Deer are more spread on the landscape, elk you have to figure out. There might be a heard of 100 elk, but they are in the same herd somewhere in 100 square miles, experience and knowing the countryside tells you where to look.

I've gone for long periods and not connected with an elk. Guides will set you up behind a log where the herd comes down to feed on the alfalfa fields every morning, private land. Quite a few ranchers make more from guiding than from cattle. I can't complain too bad though, I go days and weeks without seeing a soul.

If I were king.... I'd make out of state tags the same price as in state. I'd be happy if all of you could come and experience elk hunting for the price of dragging your camper trailer plus $55. I'd also outlaw all forms of making money off leases or guiding.

Comment

Well I found a guide service close to me. Called and left three messages I guess he doesn’t need to make 500 dollars a day of my money. I swear I don’t think I’m going to get hunt this year.

Comment

Well I found a guide service close to me. Called and left three messages I guess he doesn’t need to make 500 dollars a day of my money. I swear I don’t think I’m going to get hunt this year.
                          Feel like driving to southern Oklahoma? 😀!

It would be cheaper than $500/day, but a whole lot less accommodations, as in NONE!

You shoot it! You gut it and dress it out! LOL!
                          Bring a tent or sleep in your vehicle!
                          Success ratio is 50/50.
                          You will or won't kill a deer or pig!

Sorry, but that's about the best I can do! 😜!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

Feel like driving to southern Oklahoma? 😀!

It would be cheaper than $500/day, but a whole lot less accommodations, as in NONE!

You shoot it! You gut it and dress it out! LOL!
                            Bring a tent or sleep in your vehicle!
                            Success ratio is 50/50.
                            You will or won't kill a deer or pig!

Sorry, but that's about the best I can do! 😜!
                            Lol I got a camper.

Comment

I guess doing it on my own for so long. And not really having a true hunting mentor I’ve become accustomed to doing my way alone. I may give it try because it sure won’t cost me more than what I was planning on spending to hunt. I just offered a guy 2500 bucks cash on the spot for 250 acres of hunting land on the Mississippi River and didn’t even want to duck hunt it. And he turned it down. So I’m at a loss. The sport that loved so much has changed so much. It’s actually kind of depressing. I never thought I’d see deer hunting become the sport of kings. Like duck hunting. Anyways it’s starting to look like my only option this year. Or sell my business so I can have my time back.
                              I thought you bought into a lease and put a camper on it? How did you do there ?

Comment

There was a time when people could trade outings. Maybe trade a hunt for a fishing spot. Don't know how popular it was and I have not heard of it for a long time. I sold a rifle to a guy who invited me to a elk hunt in CO. He had a place at 5500 '. Work prevented me from making it. Sold a rifle to a guy in FL and he extended a hunt offer. I sold a lot of premium ammo to a guy in Maryland and he invited me down to the shore. Same with a guy in PA who was going to AZ for elk. You have to network to make the opportunities.
                                In NY I had a couple of spots for gun and archery that were highly productive and not known by others. For years I went through great steps to keep their location secret. Finally I thought I could trust my Nephew, well I could not and soon 6 or 8 others were on the spots.
                                Last edited by jhjimbo; 06-17-2021, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad