Guided hunts kind of like cheating.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guided hunts kind of like cheating.

Ok as you all know I’m very busy now. The big hunting club is not an option this year. A lease of my own is an expensive option for no more than I go. But a guided hunt is a possibility. There are couple of outfits within an hours drive of me 300-500 a day. But I kind of feel like I’m cheating. I don’t run cameras just food plots and go. And I don’t hunt for killing. It’s the whole experience the chase. Paying to be put in a stand and shoot something just doesn’t sit well with me. I think I might over thinking it. Any input is greatly appreciated.

'dawg, I've been on a couple of those "rent-a-stand" hunts.
    I wouldn't necessarily call it "cheating", but it sure does take some of the zing out of the sauce!

Big difference, to me, between a stand I developed and set up and a, "Sit here. Watch over there and back there.
    Don't leave the stand."

This is really a decision you need to make.

Comment

While it is certainly true that there are some "canned" hunts most are fair chase. Animals are animals, weather is weather, unpredictable & uncontrollable. Many of these pay to hunt places are very sportsmanlike, all they are providing is a fair chance at an opportunity whereas if you went in cold you would have none. If you came here or with me out west wouldn't you expect me to share all of my knowledge with you? To try to help you succeed? It's still only you pulling the trigger, and your decision as to pull it or not. It sounds good to me.
      PIGHUNTER had a Kentucky experience last year, hope he weighs in.

Comment

Milldawg, I recommend trying it at least once for the experience. Especially since you are limited for time right now. I've stayed onsite two different places over the last couple of seasons and was a day-guest a couple times back in the 90s. In all, I never got a chance at a big buck and only dropped two does. All were what I'd call semi-guided. You are directed to a stand and sit without a guide. Assistance is given after the kill.

Last season's 4-night Kentucky archery hunt cost me around $2500 total, including travel, license, and hunting fees (plus some vacation time). The previous year's 3-night gun hunt to SW Alabama probably totaled $1600.

I'm glad to have had the experience and met some good people running the places. The other hunters were polite and the food was great. But, it's really not my cup of tea mainly because it seems a lot I enjoy is figuring out deer patterns and where to go for the most success. So, I've cancelled my plans to hunt in Ohio this Fall.

Instead, I'm getting back in a lease that will cost me $900 and several work days. It's a 45-minute drive so there's no need to stay overnight. That puts me mainly hunting prepared stands over food plots and feeders, pretty much like a canned hunt but I'll have the decision of which to sign out for. Throwing in some public land hunting should be enough to scratch my itch.

Comment

I have not been on a hunt with a Guide that we did not have 50% success. Several methods were used. I liked the sector assignments. Even in a stand I was never told to stay in the stand and I would still hunt within 200yds. I usually was the last one the boat picked up so I had plenty of hunting hours.

Comment

Just go hunting.
            Take it for what it is and for what it is not.
            Enjoy yourself, have fun, and make sure you post pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
              Just go hunting.
              Good point Ernie. I enjoyed the experiences even not dropping a big buck.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post
                Just go hunting.
                Yup! Good i-deer!

Comment

Ernie put it about as simply as can be said.

If the decision is a guided hunt or nothing then go, even if it’s just for a couple days. Think of it this way, what you’re really buying is time. Since you don’t have the time to put into it before the hunt all you’re doing is paying someone to help you out.
                  That’s not cheating, it’s just being efficient.

Comment

I just like being out in the forest and I like hunting. Normally I just go and hunt and enjoy trying to locate and take game. However, if you are limited on time or in a strange area, a guide can help you find game for sure. If you can afford it, try it. My first hog hunt, I knew nothing about it and had only a few days to dedicate to the hunt. A guide made for lots of action and a great hunt and was most of the enjoyable hunts of my life. I also had a great experience hunting a plantation for quail. It was a great hunt in that there were 17,000 acres to hunt true wild quail. It was well worth it and a lot of fun. I'm not much for shooting caged game but if you enjoy it, feel free.

Comment

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the guided hog hunt near Lake Okeechobee in Florida. Just used a spear on that one and we had the pig down in 20 minutes. Shortest big game hunt of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
                        Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about the guided hog hunt near Lake Okeechobee in Florida. Just used a spear on that one and we had the pig down in 20 minutes. Shortest big game hunt of my life.
                        I have a "love/hate" relationship with those hunts, pighunter.
                        I love it that it all came together so quickly, but hate the fact that I didn't REALLY get to just sit and enjoy the outing.
                        Pop was right! The fun is over when they quit kicking! LOL!

Comment

Texas is for the most part, leased hunting. I have been hunting one particular high fenced ranch for 20 years, and it is not in any means a "canned hunt". The deer are there, but with over 17,000 acres divided into two ranches, there are absolutely no guarantees. We have used nearly every method to hunt that anybody else uses, except spot and stalk. No way that would be safe with multiple hunters on the same piece of land.
                          A guide is provided, since different areas are allocated to different hunters, and some guides want to hunt favorite areas or more familiar territory. Since this is not a "canned hunt", or a "trophy hunt", but rather a hunt for meat and to remove old or excess animals from the herd, and also management of cull animals, a guide is required to help point out what the owner wants removed. I can nearly always spot a desirable doe or a cull buck about as good as the guides I hunt with, but it is always good to have a go ahead from an employee of the ranch in this type of hunting.
                          However, these hunts are not absolutely a sure thing. I have been on some where the acorn crop was so good, the deer would not come out of the thick oaks. Or the full moon kept the deer nocturnal, and few were seen during legal shooting hours. Or the cows were grazing that particular section of pasture, and no deer were coming out of the timber.
                          In short, the guided hunts that I have experienced were hunts, with all the risks and challenges of any other type of hunting, but with another person to help with the spotting, and also with the labor of gutting, loading and transporting. No different, in fact, that Ruark's safaris, or honk's canned hunts in Africa, or even a guided goose or duck hunt. Just a matter of being on a smaller scale.

Comment

Milldawg,
                            Tell us what you are thinking now

Comment

It's no different than a seasoned fisherman who decides to book himself a chartered or guided fishing trip every once in a while. I felt like it was cheating the first time I did a charterboat salmon trip -- the captain choosing all the lures, setting the lines, handing us the rods after the fish were hooked, etc. It's a great time, though.

Also, it's a good way to support local economies and the outdoor industry.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad