Doe whitetail hunting this Thursday and Friday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doe whitetail hunting this Thursday and Friday

How many of you guys use a 308 Winchester for hunting?

Dan and I plan to go to the edge of the Bighorns, just north of Buffalo, outside of a little town named Story later this week to fill some doe tags.
    We will be still hunting...Doing the sneaky sneak, and then in the afternoon, we will hunker down on the ground somewhere in what each of thinks will be an area where deer will be moving.
    Not sure which handgun Dan will use, but I plan to take my center-grip 308 Winchester XP-100 and use some factory ammo I have one hand: Hornady TAP 168 grain (A-Max), which has a MV of 2445 fps.
    I have shot this XP out to 1000 yards on steel, so I figure it should do fine to the close distances I will be hunting-Under 250 yards, with most shots closer to around 100 yards.
    I set all of my pistols up with a 100 yard zero.
    It will drop 5 inches at 200 yards or I could dial or use the FFP reticle at 2.5 MOA for a spot on kill.

It has a reworked stock, and it has been bedded.
    I bought this off of Gunbroker as a rear grip set-up at a good price, and it turned out to be a gem.
    Someone had set it up for IHMSA, so it is a lightweight XP-100, with a 14.5" fluted barrel.
    A friend from church helped me rework the stock and bed it.
    They kept the original recoil lug, when chabering the custom H-S barrel, which was designed for the center-grip trigger, so all I had to do was grab a spare trigger linkage, which I had, remove the trigger that was on it, put on the center-grip, and I was set!
    Mac's Gunworks added one of their brakes, and Chuck did some adjustment work on the trigger as well.
    H-S Precision did the metal work on it, with their name on the barrel, so I am guessing they built this before they started making their HSP/pistol action.
    Scope is a Burris XTR-II 3-15 with the SCR MOA reticle.

Yes sir, got a .308!
    Except mine is an AR10 platform! 😀!
    I've taken one deer with it using a Sierra 150 gr SPBT handload.
    Only drawback, and I bet you don't have the same problem, is my AR10 with a full 20 round mag weighs in at just a tad over 11 pounds!

Good luck on the doe hunt!

Comment

Mine is quite a bit lighter, even though I have a big scope....Plus, mine is just a single-shot😁

Comment

Nice set-up!

Comment

I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I think the .308 is the most underrated round that is made. Will probably use 125 grain Nosler Accubonds or 125 grain Hornady SST's for doe hunting this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
            I have a Tikka T3 Lite in .308. I think the .308 is the most underrated round that is made. Will probably use 125 grain Nosler Accubonds or 125 grain Hornady SST's for doe hunting this week.
            That will work!

Comment

Barrel length on the 308 Win Handi-rifle?

Comment

Understood. the MV looked low for what I guessed the barrel length would be.
                Makes sense it is a reduced load, as that is about how fast I would run a 150 grain with my 14.5" barrel.

Comment

Did I tell you a guy at hunting camp was using a T.C .357Maximun

Very nice. I would write that .308 recipe down.
                  Last edited by jhjimbo; 12-07-2020, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201207-152849_Photos.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	762632
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201207-152849_Photos.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	389.5 KB
ID:	762632
                      NICE!
                      Nice scout set-up!

Comment

Cool!
                        Sounds like it is working good too.

Comment

I loaded some 150 grain Hornady SST's and tried them last week. I went back to the range today with that load and shot a 1 inch 3 shot group at 100. I will probably leave the 125 grain bullets home and use the 150 SST's for doe season this week.

Comment

Good shooting Sarge.

Comment

Ernie, what do you haul that hand cannon around with while doing the sneaky-sneak?

A friend had some sort of chest rig for his .35Rem Contender that would also help support offhand shooting. Was years ago, don't remember the make but it worked well.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad