Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	762348

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Nice buck! Click image for larger version

Name:	4835EA4F-F118-4FC1-84B2-3B3B61B4EDC9.png
Views:	299
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	762348
    Dude's gotta be hunting one of those high fence outfits or a BIG private ranch! LOL!
    You don't just find those running around free range....on public land!
    Public land hunters would have heart failure seeing that rack!

fitch270, Texas has "ranches" so large, a deer can live their natural lifetime and never leave ranch property...without a high fence.

When residing in south Texas, it's not out of the ordinary to see deer this size while driving through high fenced areas of the King Ranch.

Comment

Nice buck!

Comment

Bubba, I am sure you would not ‘catch’ Ted Cruz meandering around on public ground.......!

I would imagine that beast would run in the vicinity of some $15,000. Or possibly even a few pennies more. Or even a few pennies less to a politician !
        Last edited by bowhunter75richard; 12-06-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
          Bubba, I am sure you would not ‘catch’ Ted Cruz meandering around on public ground.......!
          LMBO! No doubt, bhr! No doubt!

Comment

I wonder with all the budget spending add ons we didn't buy it for him."Look mom, his name is Bucky and they have his lineage traced back 11 generations. He's been on a sweetfeed and antibiotics diet for the last 6 months so when we donate him to some homeless mission or another it can't come back to bite us next election cycle!" Probably in the blind less than 30 minutes. It's why any big buck doesn't excite me anymore. Even the ones taken "fair chase". Because bigger can always be store bought and given the same glory and atta boys. All the while keeping the squirrel and bunny chasing youngsters off their thousands of acres sanctuaries. God forbid a couple .22 shots disrupt the slumber of :insert ridiculous pet name. QDMA People are no better than PETA. None. Birds of a feather. No difference between no hunting and hunting only for a select clientele. Deleted the cussing, stand by the rest.
            Last edited by dewman; 12-06-2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Nice buck. Didn't even know Senator Ted was a hunter, but he is a nice, personable, individual. Could be high fence, probably is. However, the outfit I hunt on claims 6,700 acres on two ranches, and they see deer on camera every year that they have never seen before. They also see deer on camera that they never see during the season. High fence is not the evil that some people make it out to be, it all depends on how it is managed, and how the deer population, the season, and natural conditions come together.
              Just as a note of interest, I hunted that ranch hard for three days once, used every trick I could come up with, and never saw a shootable deer. Nobody in our group did well. Landowner was so sick about it, he arranged a special hunt for us late in the year, just as the season closed. We, as a groupe, did not do very well then, either, but managed a few deer among a group of seven.

Comment

dewman,
                have a better morning and a great day.

Comment

Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
                  Nice buck. Didn't even know Senator Ted was a hunter, but he is a nice, personable, individual. Could be high fence, probably is. However, the outfit I hunt on claims 6,700 acres on two ranches, and they see deer on camera every year that they have never seen before. They also see deer on camera that they never see during the season. High fence is not the evil that some people make it out to be, it all depends on how it is managed, and how the deer population, the season, and natural conditions come together.
                  Just as a note of interest, I hunted that ranch hard for three days once, used every trick I could come up with, and never saw a shootable deer. Nobody in our group did well. Landowner was so sick about it, he arranged a special hunt for us late in the year, just as the season closed. We, as a groupe, did not do very well then, either, but managed a few deer among a group of seven.
                  well said. Putting every high fence or huge low fence operation in the same cubbyhole is no wise

Comment

Dewman; I agree with much of that, I'm not a fan of Quality Deer Manipulation just for the sake of killing big deer, but ouch. I'm just glad to see Cruz in a photo most politicians wouldn't dare try. Without having the backstory I'm willing to give the guy a break. It's kinda like when a local fella kills a nice one on the up and up yet stories start flying about cheating.

Comment

From Ernie: "well said. Putting every high fence or huge low fence operation in the same cubbyhole is no wise"

Hunting in Texas, Oklahoma, or New Mexico is leased hunting, unless you are fortunate to own land or know a landowner who will permit hunting. We own a small ranch in Oklahoma, but other than that it is leased hunting or don't hunt. What few public lands are available are either hunted out, or a shooting gallery for whatever moves, even other hunters. No thanks, I will just be happy on my evil old "high fenced" lease.

Comment

Fellas, we all have our own mind set of different things, and should be able to bring them from the closet without hurting feelings, or being slapped down for them ! I have very strong opinions about special seasons where certain challenging means of hunting are to be allowed, only to have the challenge removed through the use of technology ! Dewman has his point of view, a little strong maybe, but I agree with more of it than disagree. I have been slapped down more than once on these pages, but it goes with the territory and the desire to say what we think. My skin has gotten tougher, I am all for it !!

Comment

I deleted the inappropriate cussing but stand by ALL the rest. FYI Ernie, I'm having a fine day, humming Christmas carols through most of it. Buried my second pal dead from Covid yesterday then moved his wife into the nursing home same afternoon. Stay safe fellas.

Comment

Bhr, bet 90% of those "high fence" deer shooters (they AIN'T hunters! LOL!) have no idea what their deer tastes like nor do they even care.
                            It's all about a set of antlers to hang on an office wall to brag about.
                            ...and you know what?
                            Let 'em have their high dollar, high fence, hormone infused horn machines.
                            That way, the folks like you and me that know the difference between hunting and shooting don't have to put up with arrogant, egotistical a$$holes who buy trophies and pay money for others to do the gutting, skinning and butchering.

If they wanna hunt high fence, let 'em!

Comment

Dewman,
                              Sorry to hear about your loss.
                              Losing good friends is a terrible thing. Thanks for taking care of your friend's wife.
                              Glad to hear you are having a good day.
                              Mine has been good as well, but I have not been humming or singing Christmas carols. Other songs have been on my heart though.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad