No announcement yet.

2020 Deer season. Quick rundown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming the coyotes and bobcats will kill the piglets. But you're right, there's no predators for mature ferals in these Alabama woods (except for us humans of course).

It's been at least a decade since I've seen a snake in that valley I hunted. Used to run into water moccasins there every now and then. The beavers are also gone from the area. But I attribute that to the coyotes.

Comment

Like the rig and especially the scope that’s same one I use. I’ve looked at others but can’t seem justify the money. And my experience with the Barnes bullets was not to awful much meat damage. But that was deer I managed to destroy both shoulder joints but that’s where I aim and like to take out the running gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
        Like the rig and especially the scope that’s same one I use. I’ve looked at others but can’t seem justify the money. And my experience with the Barnes bullets was not to awful much meat damage. But that was deer I managed to destroy both shoulder joints but that’s where I aim and like to take out the running gears.
        Thanks, that Leupold is the best scope I've got. The Nikons are almost as clear. For years on that Remington, I had a Tasco 4.5-18x50 that was horrible for light transmission. So this is a big step up.

I may go back to shoulder shots. That's the shot placement I used back in the 90s with the original Barnes X-bullets. It worked like a champ.

Comment

I prefer shoulder shots as well.

Comment

I like lung shots for easier processing but for "down right there" shoulder shots are nice. On the hill I don't often get to pick precisely, just center on what's most visible.

The kid went up yesterday morning alone for a couple hours, I went up a bit behind him in the afternoon hoping to push something by him from below. Neither of us saw a deer.

This morning he slept in so as not have to come down early for church, then with the heavy frost on the ground was second guessing himself. This afternoon he went up about 2:30 and bumped one going in. He couldn't identify it as a buck or doe but he's seen spikes in that area almost every time out. He sat up top, about 4:00 he had a doe and fawn drift in followed by a third a bit behind. He expected it to be a buck but it turned out to be another doe. The only does for certain he and I have seen since the start of rifle season.

Comment

I wrapped up my deer season Thursday with a fat doe. I killed two bucks and a doe with Hornady SST's this year. Hornady advertised they create a huge wound channel and they are not lying. None of the three deer took a step all went straight down. I killed one buck with my 300WSM with 165 SST's. I killed one buck with my 308 and 125 SST's and the doe with some newly loaded 150 grain SST's. I think that is what I will be shooting from now on because the accuracy is outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                I wrapped up my deer season Thursday with a fat doe. I killed two bucks and a doe with Hornady SST's this year. Hornady advertised they create a huge wound channel and they are not lying. None of the three deer took a step all went straight down. I killed one buck with my 300WSM with 165 SST's. I killed one buck with my 308 and 125 SST's and the doe with some newly loaded 150 grain SST's. I think that is what I will be shooting from now on because the accuracy is outstanding.
                Congrats! Great to hear and thanks for the update. Like I've said, I have some of the 150's that I need to test in the .30-06 carbine.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Gunsmiths
                  by DakotaMan
                  jimbo, we have a few powders that used to be available to us that are relatively temperature insensitive. For the .308, powders capable of this that have...
                  Today, 01:27 AM
                • Gunsmiths
                  by MattM37
                  https://www.newyorkupstate.com/outdo...ong-at-82.html

Good article on...
                  01-12-2021, 03:33 PM
                • Reply to Ups truck stopped by.
                  by FirstBubba
                  'dawg, do you have a reciever squaring tool?
                  Think I'll try to get one before my next build! That is if Biden let's us have parts! LOL!
                  Today, 12:04 AM
                • Ups truck stopped by.
                  by Milldawg
                  Well have all of my parts except a hand guard for the at-15 carbine I’m building so I thought what the heck. Still waiting on optics planet for the...
                  Yesterday, 09:10 PM
                • Reply to Washington, D.C.
                  by jhjimbo
                  I don't think anything will happen - locked down too tight. Chances are better for a State Capitol - like one of the six crooked States....
                  Yesterday, 10:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X