2020 Deer season. Quick rundown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown

opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year and half old forkhorn. While I was lining up a clear shot at him through the briars a 3 or 4 year old 8 put came trotting down on my side of the mess. 25 yds tops. Boom , thunk. The other 2 ran off. Since the day was so beautiful I unloaded and sat back to enjoy the day. The other 2 came back about an hour later and since I had a second tag, antlerless only, and she was obviously mature, I dropped in a round and boom, thunk. The next day at 5a.m. my pal calls and says his scopes messed up. It's just a blurry tube with no crosshairs. Please bring him a rifle to use. So I get dressed and head to his house. Only he isn't there, he's in his popup blind in the woods. So I in my croc slippers and sweatpants (wearing orange vest and hat I assure you) join him for his morning hunt. Thank goodness he is only 200 yds tops on a logging road behind his house and he always puts 2 chairs in when he sets up. Second one he uses for a table. About 8:00 a small probably 2-1/2 yr old 8pt comes walking up. Boom, thunk. That's my 20-20. Hope yours went well as well. Stay safe.

My Wisconsin gun opener ended in the 1st two hours last weekend. This Doe with the 8-Point following right behind. Now my Archery season has been very slow. Click image for larger version

Name:	opener2020.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	2.81 MB
ID:	761197

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
      opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year and half old forkhorn. While I was lining up a clear shot at him through the briars a 3 or 4 year old 8 put came trotting down on my side of the mess. 25 yds tops. Boom , thunk. The other 2 ran off. Since the day was so beautiful I unloaded and sat back to enjoy the day. The other 2 came back about an hour later and since I had a second tag, antlerless only, and she was obviously mature, I dropped in a round and boom, thunk. The next day at 5a.m. my pal calls and says his scopes messed up. It's just a blurry tube with no crosshairs. Please bring him a rifle to use. So I get dressed and head to his house. Only he isn't there, he's in his popup blind in the woods. So I in my croc slippers and sweatpants (wearing orange vest and hat I assure you) join him for his morning hunt. Thank goodness he is only 200 yds tops on a logging road behind his house and he always puts 2 chairs in when he sets up. Second one he uses for a table. About 8:00 a small probably 2-1/2 yr old 8pt comes walking up. Boom, thunk. That's my 20-20. Hope yours went well as well. Stay safe.
      Great story dewman, that is what hunting is and should always be about. Congratulations on a fine day .

Comment

Originally posted by srvcman39 View Post
        My Wisconsin gun opener ended in the 1st two hours last weekend. This Doe with the 8-Point following right behind. Now my Archery season has been very slow. Click image for larger version

Congratulations to you ! Looks like you did very well.

Comment

My Wisconsin gun opener ended in the 1st two hours last weekend. This Doe with the 8-Point following right behind. Now my Archery season has been very slow.
          Nice! That's plenty of good meat for the freezer! What rifle / load are you using?

So far I'm zero for 9 outings with the crossbow and 1 outing with the rifle. But, our season runs till early February so there's still plenty of time. I plan to do an all-day hunt on Saturday, packing a lunch to one of my favorite spots. It will be a buck-only day at the WMA, minimum 3-points on at least one side. I'll probably take the .308 bolt-action.

Comment

pighunter, I'm zero outings, zero attempts and an untold number of thoughts and desires! LOL!

My season, though not very "fruitful" has been fulfilling with hunting tales from the hunters on this site.
            Most memorable was "son-of-a-fitch" taking a very nice archery buck on his own.

Now we have "srvcman39" with tales and pictures of his Wisconsin hunt.

Best part of this season?
            I have not had to gut not ONE stinking deer! 😉!
            Worst part?
            No venison for "MY" freezer! 😥!

That's okay, the season ain't over in S Texas....yet! LOL!

P.S. - srvcman39 - don't be a stranger! Welcome aboard!

Comment

Well done sir! That's as good as it gets. Beautiful animals. As PH says, share your gun and load as well as anything else you care to mention. We are interested believe me. As FB says don't be a stranger and chime in whenever you wish with whatever comes to mind. WELCOME!

Comment

With OL being down I started a thread here which was buried by spam. If you missed it try this:

https://answers.fieldandstream.com/f...pening-weekend

Rifle runs for a few weeks longer followed by muzzleloader season, we still have tags but pretty much everything will get a pass except for the 10pt if he happens to show. Unless of course something else of his size pops up.

Today the kid found one of those rubs that you know was made by a big deer. We hunted a few hours this morning and again this afternoon. Think we heard 5 shots total. Even opening weekend was relatively quiet around us.

Comment

I killed a nice 8 point on Wednesday morning. We don't have many deer because we haven't had an acorn crop for 3 years. I used my 300WSm with 165 grain Hornady SST bullets. Jokeingly I don't know how I killed it I didn't use a 6.5 Needmore.

Comment

Fitch270: I've read and kept up with all your posts. Don't always log in to answer or congratulate but I read your story and trust me, I would have shot ....er I mean harvested him myself as well. As much meat as you and your youngins have brought in being picky is a prudent option. Gun season went out here on Tuesday and I've already switched gears and went crow hunting this morning. Think the guys here are running beagles rest of weekend but my joints won't deal me in on that. Continued success and as always stay safe.

Comment

Good job of Killing and filling those tags

Comment

Originally posted by Sarge01 View Post
                        I killed a nice 8 point on Wednesday morning. We don't have many deer because we haven't had an acorn crop for 3 years. I used my 300WSm with 165 grain Hornady SST bullets. Jokeingly I don't know how I killed it I didn't use a 6.5 Needmore.
                        Congrats Sarge on the nice deer.

There's not a thing wrong with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Mine performs just as well as my .308 Win.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                          With OL being down I started a thread here which was buried by spam. If you missed it try this:

https://answers.fieldandstream.com/f...pening-weekend

Rifle runs for a few weeks longer followed by muzzleloader season, we still have tags but pretty much everything will get a pass except for the 10pt if he happens to show. Unless of course something else of his size pops up.

Today the kid found one of those rubs that you know was made by a big deer. We hunted a few hours this morning and again this afternoon. Think we heard 5 shots total. Even opening weekend was relatively quiet around us.
                          I've started threads that disappeared almost immediately.
                          I've also started some I wish would disappear and hung around way longer that necessary. LOL!

...and like dewman, I try to keep an eye out for your posts.

Comment

Nice glad to see your season is going well. Still trying to find time to go.

Comment

Never fails! LOL!
                              I built a box blind on a trailer so I could move it around.
                              After shoulder surgery and deciding to winter in S. Texas, I gave the box blind to my neighbors daughter and s-i-l.
                              They set it up on the neighbors place, just on the south side of town.

Today, he sends me these photos!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized952020112695073206.jpg Views:	0 Size:	203.5 KB ID:	761295 He's sporting 14 points!
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	Resized952020112695073845.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.3 KB ID:	761296 Now that there is a fine Okie buck!
                              I don't keer who y'ar!

Never fails!
                              When you give up, the big one shows! LOL!
                              Last edited by FirstBubba; 11-27-2020, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad