Gray wolf no longer protected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gray wolf no longer protected.

The Trump administration on Thursday said it would lift Endangered Species Act protections for the gray wolf, arguing the species had been brought back successfully from the brink of extinction.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-adminis...201046686.html

That is great news for the people and game of the western states. Wolves have been hard on the ranchers and Elk and deer populations.

Comment

Brett Hartl statement is typical of the pro wolf people, total disregard for the damage the expanding wolf population has cause the Rocky Mountain States. The nonsense that the gray wolf has only reclaimed a small percentage of their former range is a perfect example. Who the hell wants them in their former range. In the far north , where there still may be nature’s balance gray wolves can thrive with the ups and downs of game populations . There is little of that in the lower 48 states , the gray wolf can only explode in its population if left unchecked. In Idaho in the Selway Bitterroot area the elk population was reduced from an estimated 20,000 animals to a estimated 3000. The Brett Hartl’s of the world do not realize or it does not fit their agenda that the gray wolves are devastating the deer and elk populations because their population continue to rise. See in the north of game population go down wolf pup survival goes down as well ! Natural checks and balance! In the lower 48 when the wolf runs out of elk or deer there are ranchers cows, sheep chickens thrown in a dog or cat and the wolves are fed to increase the pup survival. So in fact we are unleashing a well fed super predator to kill 24/7 the elk herds, deer , sheep , moose etc! This is and was a fool hardy plan by the so called naturalist with total disregard to the people and sportsman of the west. One only needs to understand that like every other really stupid idea is money! Someone is making money on this deal and the hell with the residents in those areas !

Comment

That is the idiocy Pmacc of these so called educated naturalists who think they have all the answers ! Since wolves in their area are at the top of the food chain and protected besides, just wth did these idiot people think was going to keep them in check ? Now with the population where it is, how is it going to be reduced to a manageable level ? I very much doubt there will be enough pressure put on them through hunting to be of much good. It will be up to ranchers mostly, and they have other matters to attend to. Talk about opening a can of worms in the outset of this stupidity !!M

Comment

I just shake my head when I hear the stories about the decline of the Elk population. Ranchers being affected by predication all because someone wants to possibly see a wolf on the wild. I do but not at the expense of the surrounding wildlife and the residents trying to make a honest living! BHR your right it’s idiocy !

Comment

This won't have much of an effect on areas where the wolf exists. State laws already restrict where and how wolves can be hunted and trapped, and without the use of poison wolves will continue to exist at high numbers.

This is part of a wide effort to restrict hunting of all large predators, mountain lions, black and grizzly bears, and wolves. Methods that are outlawed are baiting, trapping, and the use of dogs. The success rate for black bear in colorado is very low and it shows with all the nuisance calls eating up our hunting dollars. Every fish and wildlife officer is very expensive. Wasting their time on animals that should generate revenue is another way to decrease hunting.

Lots of elk continue to be harvested in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, it's just that the harvest has shifted to agricultural lands as the wildlife is subject to less predation there. The number of outfitters in many areas has seen large decreases.

I'll still get an elk or two for a few years anyway. By the time numbers are hight enough here I'll probably be a little old anyway. I figure I've got another 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
              This won't have much of an effect on areas where the wolf exists. State laws already restrict where and how wolves can be hunted and trapped, and without the use of poison wolves will continue to exist at high numbers.

This is part of a wide effort to restrict hunting of all large predators, mountain lions, black and grizzly bears, and wolves. Methods that are outlawed are baiting, trapping, and the use of dogs. The success rate for black bear in colorado is very low and it shows with all the nuisance calls eating up our hunting dollars. Every fish and wildlife officer is very expensive. Wasting their time on animals that should generate revenue is another way to decrease hunting.

Lots of elk continue to be harvested in Idaho, Wyoming, and Montana, it's just that the harvest has shifted to agricultural lands as the wildlife is subject to less predation there. The number of outfitters in many areas has seen large decreases.

I'll still get an elk or two for a few years anyway. By the time numbers are hight enough here I'll probably be a little old anyway. I figure I've got another 5 years.
              Maybe harvest numbers are still decent but it won’t last long at the current rate of predation.. Yellowstone has saw a major drop in the elk and mule deer herd in the park because of the wolves, residents were reporting that the elk migration was very small this past spring! This report comes from people who watched these migrations for years. Like I said , a super predator has been unleashed and it was a terrible idea . Rock Rat your ok for now but Colorado is looking to reintroduce the wolf in your state , I guarantee you will change your mind if it becomes a reality ! They let the fox into the chicken coup !

Comment

Pmac I think you misunderstand my sympathies.

Wolves are already here, the anti hunting folks will win the ballot measure Tuesday, and our hunting dollars will be used to introduce wolves to the western part of our state. I don't like it, but it's inevitable. Denver has a lot of people, and both Rs and Ds in the city think wolves are cool.

I know all about the Northern Yellowstone herd as I've been following the issue for two decades now.

There's also a very good chance delisting will be challenged in court. It has been every single other time.

Comment

I understood you and as a Colorado resident (you) I would not sit still for the reintroduction of wolves . In theory it may have sounded like a good idea or cool but it’s been a nightmare in the other states. The residents of Colorado have to be able to see the disastrous effects to the ranchers , game populations and parks. I don’t advocate breaking the law but if I lived in the western states the gray wolf would be eliminated and checked with a shovel! I meant no offense to you about this subject but it also a subject that I have been involved with since 1995. I was at a hearing on the subject and was laughed at when I said that wolves introduced into Yellowstone would create havoc throughout the neighboring areas and states. No one is laughing now!

Comment

And, just why would wolves not become a problem? As long as there is enough food, they will continue to have pups, and those pups will need to be feed. The wolf population will continue to grow, but what is to replace the continued loss of wildlife through predation. The only true predator of wolves is man, but if the wolf is protected, where is the balance ? Plus the fact that wolves are territorial, it means that new packs are required to move to other areas and thus their expanse continues to grow ! Naturalists, the epidemy of trouble !!

Comment

A grizzly bear seriously injured a father and son who were hunting in northern Montana in a "surprise" attack.
                      Montana's grizzly and human populations have both risen substantially since 1975, when the bears were protected under the Endangered Species Act.

https://news.yahoo.com/grizzly-bear-...164009636.html
                      Last edited by 99explorer; 11-02-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                        A grizzly bear seriously injured a father and son who were hunting in northern Montana in a "surprise" attack.
                        Montana's grizzly and human populations have both risen substantially since 1975, when the bears were protected under the Endangered Species Act.

https://news.yahoo.com/grizzly-bear-...164009636.html
                        99 grizzly bears and attacks have risen in numbers that’s for sure but the gray wolf issue is much more of a lasting problem. The biologist have screwed this up and many who live far away are trying to see this mistake through. The gray wolf is a super predator that is put in the best environment for a population boom. Good populations of elk and deer with civilization pitching in with live stock! It was the perfect storm !

Comment

You are right!
                          An isolated attack on humans is nothing compared to the continuous carnage inflicted on wildlife and livestock by wolf packs.

Comment

Originally posted by 99explorer View Post
                            You are right!
                            An isolated attack on humans is nothing compared to the continuous carnage inflicted on wildlife and livestock by wolf packs.
                            99 I hope it does not appear that hunters or people being mail is not a problem as well. It is and my apologies if it appeared that I was being obtuse. This gray wolf introduction thing has been a point of contention with me for a long time. Colorado being the next state on the list it infuriates me to see the others states model does not seem to matter. To much money to be made at the expense of the people who have to live with the gray wolf infestation !

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunter75richard View Post
                              And, just why would wolves not become a problem? As long as there is enough food, they will continue to have pups, and those pups will need to be feed. The wolf population will continue to grow, but what is to replace the continued loss of wildlife through predation. The only true predator of wolves is man, but if the wolf is protected, where is the balance ? Plus the fact that wolves are territorial, it means that new packs are required to move to other areas and thus their expanse continues to grow ! Naturalists, the epidemy of trouble !!
                              BHR , it’s just that simple !! Your short paragraph pretty much wraps up the argument ! If the reversal process started now it will take decades to recover the game populations . The deleterious effects cause by the gray wolf is staggering yet they still continue to introduce to new states.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad