There goes my deer season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There goes my deer season

Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the fire which is now under a foot of snow. Why they don't open up the unit or give me a tag for the next 9 day season in November I just don't know.

Not that I have time to go deer hunting anyway, but it's fun. Mule deer tend to hear and see you first so they just step behind some bushes or trees and let you walk on by. Where I hunt there are no large open sage brush flats to road hunt like I see everyone doing in photos. Just lots of trees, bushes, and more trees. Hard to sneak up on them. Back straps are real big the things hop like rabbits.

More for the cats to eat I guess though they switch to elk as soon as they come down, and they're down now.

Hell of a year and it aint over.

Dude, as hard as you've worked at getting ready?
    Don't make us all cry! πŸ˜₯!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
      getting ready?
      Don't make us all cry! πŸ˜₯!
      You mean obsessing over buying 35 more rifles with LED lights on the scopes and electric heated butt warmers on 17 different kinds of camo? And don't forget truckpreparednesss. Nope, I grab my tag, my orange, and the same rifle for everything. I wear regular clothes, boots, truck always has chains. I hunt, I don't shop.

Comment

Bummer Rock Rat. Sorry to hear you are blocked due to fire. I love mule deer hunting. They are a majestic animal with those picturesque faces and high, wide antlers. I almost hate to shoot them at times because I love to watch them bounce. The meat is great if you treat it well as you would with an Angus steer. Look forward to next year and take solace in knowing that you live in the right place to do this almost every year. Best regards.

Comment

Originally posted by rock rat View Post
          Not that it much matters, not that much meat on a deer anyway, but walk and stalk mule deer hunting is for fun not meat. Whole unit canceled due to the fire which is now under a foot of snow. Why they don't open up the unit or give me a tag for the next 9 day season in November I just don't know.

Not that I have time to go deer hunting anyway, but it's fun. Mule deer tend to hear and see you first so they just step behind some bushes or trees and let you walk on by. Where I hunt there are no large open sage brush flats to road hunt like I see everyone doing in photos. Just lots of trees, bushes, and more trees. Hard to sneak up on them. Back straps are real big the things hop like rabbits.

More for the cats to eat I guess though they switch to elk as soon as they come down, and they're down now.

Hell of a year and it aint over.
          Do the game animals make it out or are they burned up ?

Comment

No fires in the unit I was going to hunt, just bad conditions and part of the same National Forest as all the fires.

I am hunting a unit later on this year just below Rocky Mountain National Park and people saw the elk all moving down the hill just like during migration. Elk can walk 6 miles an hour without seeming to walk much at all, so I'd assume they don't get caught by fire much.

Mule deer also migrate it's recently been learned, moose not as much, bear do move up and down with berry season and hibernation but I just don't know. I'd think most would get nervous with all the smoke then leave when it gets close.

A lot of animals can't move but they can reproduce and re fill that niche.

There will be a different ecosystem anyway post fire. Lots more browse and graze, plus more diversity of species. I like fire except for what it does to houses.

Comment

Sorry to hear all this , it’s terrible that the fires are raising so much havoc. Hope you get a chance the second season.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                by dewman
                All right PH! Living up to your avatar. Meat in the freezer. Looks like a good eating size. Christmas ham .πŸ—πŸ‘€βš‘οΈ=πŸ–&πŸ₯“
                Today, 06:52 PM
              • 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
                by dewman
                opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year...
                11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                by 99explorer
                Bubba -
                Using your line of reasoning, unless medical examiners have autopsied every single solitary death, there is absolutely no certainty that
                Today, 06:29 PM
              • Voter Fraud
                by bowhunter75richard
                For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
                11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
              • Reply to Voter Fraud
                by FirstBubba
                Unless Medical Examiners have autopsied every single solitary COVID-19 death, there is absolutely NO certainty that any of the 200k plus deaths can actually...
                Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X