6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5-284 Borden/Alpine clone XP works great in the field - 588 yards

Dan Ekstrom and I have been looking for a shooter mule deer buck on public land.

For this area, Tuesday was the last day.

Borden Alpine clone XP-100 action, chambered in 6.5-284 with the 140 grain Nosler AB at 588 yards. Bullet worked great. He was slightly quartering toward us.

Right after the shot he moved to the left about 30-40 yards, and looked like he was going down...doing the wobble/stumble thing.

Given the fact that it was close to the end of legal shooting, and with Dan’s encouragement, I sent a 2nd one.

We discovered it wasn’t needed upon quartering him (the drops were spot on), but we wanted to be sure.

He will be nice and tasty.

Thanks to Dan for helping me pack him out-Quartered him in the field. It was late thirty when I go home.

Michael DeLoach of Nine Run Gun built this Borden Alpine clone XP and it hammers! Brux barrel, Holland brake, Dell trigger, McMillan stock, Burris XTR-III 3.3-18x50 with the SCR MOA reticle. It shoots so good it is just wrong!

Congratulations Ernie , that’s a great story and nice shot . With a handgun even more impressive. Nice buck and on public land at last light. You sir are living right.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
      Congratulations Ernie , that’s a great story and nice shot . With a handgun even more impressive. Nice buck and on public land at last light. You sir are living right.
      Thanks!
      Dan knows the area pretty well, so it made our odds better.

Comment

Ernie , how did you get into long range hunting with handguns ? To many of us on F&S that’s is a really long shot with anything let alone a handgun. It is very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
          Ernie , how did you get into long range hunting with handguns ? To many of us on F&S that’s is a really long shot with anything let alone a handgun. It is very impressive.
          Growing up I always had a fascination with all kinds of handguns. In my early 20's I bought my first handgun. The desire to shoot a smaller group and farther, just sort of got out of hand
          Bob Milek's articles in Peterson's Hunting and Guns & Ammo, inspired the specialty pistol habit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ernie View Post

Growing up I always had a fascination with all kinds of handguns. In my early 20's I bought my first handgun. The desire to shoot a smaller group and farther, just sort of got out of hand
            Bob Milek's articles in Peterson's Hunting and Guns & Ammo, inspired the specialty pistol habit.
            I was wondering if Bob Milek had any influence on you, he had some great articles over the years. It’s a very interesting skill set you have developed. I know a couple guys who have built long range handguns both on TC frames but both coward out when it came to the season and used their rifles . Thanks for taking the time to respond and great shooting!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
              by dewman
              All right PH! Living up to your avatar. Meat in the freezer. Looks like a good eating size. Christmas ham .🐗👀⚡️=🍖&🥓
              Today, 06:52 PM
            • 2020 Deer season. Quick rundown
              by dewman
              opening morning I was in the woods atop a ridge where thicket grew along a fence. Around 7:30 a doe came jogging by at maybe 50yds followed by a year...
              11-26-2020, 09:14 AM
            • Reply to Voter Fraud
              by 99explorer
              Bubba -
              Using your line of reasoning, unless medical examiners have autopsied every single solitary death, there is absolutely no certainty that
              Today, 06:29 PM
            • Voter Fraud
              by bowhunter75richard
              For those who claim voter fraud is not happening......Google The Heritage Foundation/election fraud cases ! All states are listed.......it just might...
              11-06-2020, 08:01 PM
            • Reply to Voter Fraud
              by FirstBubba
              Unless Medical Examiners have autopsied every single solitary COVID-19 death, there is absolutely NO certainty that any of the 200k plus deaths can actually...
              Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X