So is everyone ready for deer season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So is everyone ready for deer season

With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going to have to live vicariously through all of you. But I can put it off for a year to achieve long term goals. And the boss has said she’s wants to go to camp for a weekend to get away and give me some time to hunt if at all possible. So maybe I will get coupe of sits in. What has everyone been doing to get ready?

Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends and trying to light the middle too! LOL!

Look, mi amigo. Everybody gets the need to provide for family and family's needs....but don't forget that the family also needs their "milldawg".

Just don't forget to "stop and the smell the roses" occasionally. 😉!
    Take care my friend. It's always good to hear from you.

BTW!
    My "deer season" is pretty much over.
    Last year was a bust and this year doesn't look any better!
    Lately, my life has been a "beaver pond"! Just one damn thing after another! LOL!
    Hope you get at least one day to just get out and enjoy the "quiet".
    Last edited by FirstBubba; 10-21-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Dang, I was looking forward to hearing how well you and that hunting club would work out.

I'm just a little over two weeks away from the Kentucky archery trip and haven't practiced with the crossbow. The vertical bow is shooting well but I need more practice with it too. Licenses are purchased and route planned to avoid Nashville just in case there's post-election unrest.

Haven't deer hunted in Alabama yet. Missed opening weekend of archery, had to work during both days to get ready for a Monday papermill visit. A local developer is building around me and has scared off all the game - so probably no yard-deer venison this season.

The .308 Win and .357 Maximum are ready for centerfire gun season opening in about a month. The muzzleloader needs to be checked out.

I made sure all camo clothing is in good shape and there's plenty of unscented washing liquid for scent control. Going to wash my boots in it too prior to the Kentucky hunt.

Got the 4x4 serviced and in shape except for the cruise control. Changing the brake disconnect switch didn't solve the non-engagement problem. I may be driving to Kentucky the old fashion way! In early summer I red-necked my older sedan by installing a receiver hitch, just for a rack, with the thought of taking it to Kentucky instead. But the outfitter has warned me some of the roads may have ground clearance issues so it will be the Xterra after all.

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post
        Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends and trying to light the middle too! LOL!

Look, mi amigo. Everybody gets the need to provide for family and family's needs....but don't forget that the family also needs their "milldawg".

Just don't forget to "stop and the smell the roses" occasionally. 😉!
        Take care my friend. It's always good to hear from you.

BTW!
        My "deer season" is pretty much over.
        Last year was a bust and this year doesn't look any better!
        Lately, my life has been a "beaver pond"! Just one damn thing after another! LOL!
        Hope you get at least one day to just get out and enjoy the "quiet".
        Oh don’t I know it. And I have baseball games to go to every week now one grandson made travel team and then on my weekends off from my regular job they always want to spend the night. Which they get to I can’t tell them no. I’m 80 something days now with out a day off. We will see how long I can go until I just say the hell with it I’m going hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          Dang, I was looking forward to hearing how well you and that hunting club would work out.

I'm just a little over two weeks away from the Kentucky archery trip and haven't practiced with the crossbow. The vertical bow is shooting well but I need more practice with it too. Licenses are purchased and route planned to avoid Nashville just in case there's post-election unrest.

Haven't deer hunted in Alabama yet. Missed opening weekend of archery, had to work during both days to get ready for a Monday papermill visit. A local developer is building around me and has scared off all the game - so probably no yard-deer venison this season.

The .308 Win and .357 Maximum are ready for centerfire gun season opening in about a month. The muzzleloader needs to be checked out.

I made sure all camo clothing is in good shape and there's plenty of unscented washing liquid for scent control. Going to wash my boots in it too prior to the Kentucky hunt.

Got the 4x4 serviced and in shape except for the cruise control. Changing the brake disconnect switch didn't solve the non-engagement problem. I may be driving to Kentucky the old fashion way! In early summer I red-necked my older sedan by installing a receiver hitch, just for a rack, with the thought of taking it to Kentucky instead. But the outfitter has warned me some of the roads may have ground clearance issues so it will be the Xterra after all.
          If I get to go I will post a report.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post

Oh don’t I know it. And I have baseball games to go to every week now one grandson made travel team and then on my weekends off from my regular job they always want to spend the night. Which they get to I can’t tell them no. I’m 80 something days now with out a day off. We will see how long I can go until I just say the hell with it I’m going hunting.
            I wish I could do half the stuff I used to do 40 years ago! LOL! 👀!

Comment

I just turned 40 this month lol

Comment

Ah, just a youngster! I'm 61 and of course am not as fit as at 40. Did a 14 hour day on Monday, - 9 hour round trip driving, 5 hours on-site. It kicked my ass.
                Last edited by PigHunter; 10-21-2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

I'll be turning 70! 😀

Comment

Kind of a melancholy attitude about deer hunting this year. My buddy passed away on the first day of our hunt last season. This year, it kind of seems like my main reason for deer hunting so hard was to keep him enjoying life. It was his passion and he loved it so much. I've always liked deer hunting but it just doesn't seem to have the purpose as it did while I was helping him and encouraging him to experience the great outdoors as long as he could.

Comment

Milldawg: You went through the trouble of a lease, then a camper, while getting and adjusting new deer guns. It seems like wasting time, money, and effort just isn't you. Not one day can you get back. Deer hunting is a mind clearer and soul rejuvenator. Get out and go. Don't make me drive down there and toss you in my truck and put you in my stand. I'll do it pal. Stay safe my friend.

Comment

Got to thinking about it!
                        I wanna "do-over"! LOL!

I'm "ALWAYS" ready for deer season!
                        I absolutely "LOVE" the fall.
                        Those crystal clear, dead still, frosty mornings.
                        I'd get the Boss to make biscuits (she makes a mean biscuit!) the night before. I'd load my 2 cup Thermos and a couple of biscuit/cheese/egg biscuits, getting to the stand way too early.
                        As soon as day began to creep up, the hot black coffee and biscuit banquet would begin!
                        What a way to great the day!

Sadly, being "ready" isn't all mental, it's physical too.
                        I'm not to that point where I "can't".
                        I'm to that point where I have to align the "can do" and the "want to"!
                        Bone breaks, injuries and age are beginning to take their toll.

The youngest keeps wanting to set the house up for pop so I can get around. I keep telling the kid, "I'm a cripple, NOT an invalid!"
                        Gotta love them "trids"! LOL!

Yes, milldawg, my "brain" is ready, we'll see what the "body" tells me later!

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                          Milldawg: You went through the trouble of a lease, then a camper, while getting and adjusting new deer guns. It seems like wasting time, money, and effort just isn't you. Not one day can you get back. Deer hunting is a mind clearer and soul rejuvenator. Get out and go. Don't make me drive down there and toss you in my truck and put you in my stand. I'll do it pal. Stay safe my friend.
                          I probably wouldn’t argue to much lol! I knew it would be hard thing to do after we decided to start this business. The wife and I are ready for a weekend off. Just hope I have the funds to let her shop while I hunt lol! No camper haven’t got it to the lease but thats what motels are for. I’ve already decided I’m joining a closer club next year. Don’t really care what it cost. I’m keeping the other club also. Boss said she thinks it’s a good idea. I’m hopeful I get a few days in this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Ah, just a youngster! I'm 61 and of course am not as fit as at 40. Did a 14 hour day on Monday, - 9 hour round trip driving, 5 hours on-site. It kicked my ass.
                            I understand my days starts a 4am and ends at 9pm. Everyday but Sunday my day starts at 7am and ends at about 9pm it wears on a man for sure.

Comment

The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw nothing. It's been warm and it's that mid October lull time so I haven't been missing much. I've had a bad habit of starting to burn out with the bow just about he time the rut starts to kick in so I'm hoping to be fresh and ready around Holloween. Meantime with the nice weather I've been wrapping up household stuff and have made good progress. A few more evenings after work and another dump run and I'll be all set.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad