X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post

If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated only the bark and a little further. He was shooting .303 military solids.
    Jim it was a 165 grain Nosler partition.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Originally posted by Red Angus View Post
    I would suggest that the best happy medium is a rifle chambered in a caliber with which a hunter is most capable of properly placing a quality bullet through the vitals of his/her quarry.
    ​​​​​​
    That's about as good an answer as there is, redangus.
    When I worked in a sporting goods store and a customer asked me the "best caliber" question, I always answered. "The largest caliber you can shoot comfortably.".

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
    FB David slew Goliath with a slingshot , anything can happen! Trouble with the 22 killing the polar bear and 223 killing deer is yes it can be done/ has been done but .....who cares. The question is what give reasonable results in the field! So I think for the majority of us what kills whitetails 300 yards in at several different angles we can agree on as ethical shots ! I’m of the opinion anything under 25 cal is limiting yourself in the field . The 6mms can be devastating deer killers in the right circumstances but make the hunter wait for the right shot. Nothing wrong with limiting yourself however where I hunt there are many different types of shots. Heavy cover , broken cover , fields . For me I want a gun to shoot 15 to 500 yards. 30 to 300 yards is much more common.

I like the 25’s 6.5’s , 7mm08 and the 270 win for deer , to me I do not think that I’m limited with anyone of these rounds. I don’t think I’m overgunned with the 06 either. Too many times bullet deflections that still delivered the kill from 30 cal bullets , I have a friend who killed a black bear on the second shot after it went through a wrist sized cedar tree. Putting the bear down with a broken shoulder. Like I said we all do it differently and in Pennsylvania was the practice of deer drives and few deer were shot standing . It wasn’t a question taking the right shot but taking the shot given. There the thirties are king.
    If the friend shot through a tree he must have had a full metal jacket solid. My BIL and I shot at a tree and he went through and my 30-30 penetrated only the bark and a little further. He was shooting .303 military solids.

Leave a comment:

• Red Angus
    replied
    I would suggest that the best happy medium is a rifle chambered in a caliber with which a hunter is most capable of properly placing a quality bullet through the vitals of his/her quarry.
    ​​​​​​

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    FB David slew Goliath with a slingshot , anything can happen! Trouble with the 22 killing the polar bear and 223 killing deer is yes it can be done/ has been done but .....who cares. The question is what give reasonable results in the field! So I think for the majority of us what kills whitetails 300 yards in at several different angles we can agree on as ethical shots ! I’m of the opinion anything under 25 cal is limiting yourself in the field . The 6mms can be devastating deer killers in the right circumstances but make the hunter wait for the right shot. Nothing wrong with limiting yourself however where I hunt there are many different types of shots. Heavy cover , broken cover , fields . For me I want a gun to shoot 15 to 500 yards. 30 to 300 yards is much more common.

I like the 25’s 6.5’s , 7mm08 and the 270 win for deer , to me I do not think that I’m limited with anyone of these rounds. I don’t think I’m overgunned with the 06 either. Too many times bullet deflections that still delivered the kill from 30 cal bullets , I have a friend who killed a black bear on the second shot after it went through a wrist sized cedar tree. Putting the bear down with a broken shoulder. Like I said we all do it differently and in Pennsylvania was the practice of deer drives and few deer were shot standing . It wasn’t a question taking the right shot but taking the shot given. There the thirties are king.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Bubba, that's an interesting question. I have limited experience compared to DakotaMan and many others on this site. But I know what has worked for me. Generally, I'm not concerned about meat loss.

I've had three feral pigs run off after being shot with .22lr and can only figure the bullets never penetrated their skulls. Perhaps if I'd been closer... And, it's illegal to use rimfire cartridges on deer here in Alabama so that's only a topic of discussion for these kind of forums. But I've killed a couple of pigs with the .22 magnum.

Next up in power that I've used are subsonic 190 grains from an AR in .300 Blackout. Two deer dropped to neck shots, one right there and one ran 40 to 50 yards. However, I lost a doe hit in the shoulder... no blood trail. She appeared on my trail cam a few weeks later with an obvious limp and probably eventually died from the wound. Two other deer dropped in their tracks when I used supersonic loads.

I've killed two deer and two pigs with hot .45 Colt loads from a revolver. The meat damage was minimum but I consider it a strictly short range option.

Shotgun slugs leave big holes and the 10-point I took with the Remington Slugger dropped like a wet dishrag. Deer taken with my .50 cal muzzleloader do the same. The .45-70 also hits them like Thor's Hammer. All of these large projectiles are relatively slow and the meat damage is at a minimum, but they come with a cost of greater recoil.

Most of my deer and pigs have been taken with the .308 Win but I've seen practically no difference in performance on the ones I've dropped with the .30-06 and 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Bottom line... I'll pick the .308 Win, .30-06, or 6.5 CM as a good compromise of power vs. trajectory vs. recoil. At least in the places I hunt deer...

Leave a comment:

• DakotaMan
    replied
    You are dead right. If you think about what you are doing and only take shots that will kill instantly with the rifle you are using, they all work. However, some give you a broader sweet spot meaning, more knockdown power, more range and a larger variety of possible hunting conditions.

I have also noticed something called "hydrostatic shock". You see that in cartridges capable of exceeding 3500 fps to above 4000 fps. Bullets in this velocity range do strange things in hunting situations. The .257 Weatherby or 25-06 Improved shooting a 100g bullet at 3600 fps will stun and instantly kill anything within 200 yards that is hit practically anywhere. I shot a deer about 1/2" behind the front of its throat at 100 yards. The deer dropped into its tracks and never even wiggled an ear or kicked a let. This is common. Its lungs and liver were ground into hamburger and the brain was mush. I harvested smaller animals (beaver, muskrats, rabbits, squirrel, etc.) by shooting them in the front foot or just over their head. It was common to see mushed brains and broken bones even though the bullet never touched their body.

I did a test shot on running whitetails at 120 yards to test the impact difference between a 150g .308 and a 100g 25-06 Imp. Both deer were running scared and each bullet hit exactly the center of the same rib high behind their shoulder. The deer hit with the .308 accelerated (did not fall) and ran about 1/4 mile toward a timber. I had to shoot it again with the 25-06 at that point to avoid having to track it in the thick timber. The deer hit with the 25-06 Imp turned instantly limp and rolled end over end. You could tell it was dead instantly with no sign of life in any muscle. Lungs and brain were mush. This was pretty typical of what I've seen over the years. My 300 Dakota shooting a 130g bullet at 3950 fps does the same thing but at much longer ranges.

If you are shooting deer under a corn feeder at 25 yards, it does't make much difference what you use. If you are hunting running deer, coyotes, foxes and antelope on the prairie and are required to shoot longer distances there is a difference in your selection. I love the .308 for so many uses but I can tell you honestly, I have never seen one hit a running antelope in roughly 50 years of hunting them. But that is because the hunters were using 150g-165g bullets. If I were to use a .308 for antelope, I'd be using a 110g bullet going almost 3500 fps.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    started a topic How much is too much?

How much is too much?

There is no doubt that a .30-06 Spgfld is more than adequate to actually slay a whitetail.

A lot of newbies come here and ask, "What is the best caliber....?", "What is the best bullet....?", "What is the best cartridge...?" etc, etc.

Let's be brutally honest, if you deliver a lowly .22LR rimfire bullet into the brain or into the heart of any beast in North America, it's going to die.
    I guess the question is, "How reliably can my choice deliver that projectile to brain/heart?"

If I've had to climb a tree and find myself just out of reach of a determined grizzly trying to stare me down, I think (?) I could stick a .22LR into the brain pan. Party over.
    Hoping a .22LR to the heart will stop a grizzly from killing you? HA! Lot'sa luck!

But, we all know that a heart shot game animal can often cover a considerable distance before blood/oxygen loss causes death.

So the question becomes:
    cartridge/caliber vs blood loss/organ damage.

I shot a buck behind the left ear with a .22 Hornet that field dressed 152 pounds. Recovery was pretty simple. Bang-flop!
    I've also shot deer with a .270 Win I had to search for, even with a perfect heart/lung shot.

As hunters, our goal is to kill the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Will the .223 Rem kill deer?
    Without a doubt! From a pint sized blacktail to the biggest deer in America, the moose.
    But I wouldn't suggest that caliber for ANY deer.

But where is the happy medium between clean kill and over kill?

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad