No announcement yet.

How much is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 points of note concerning DAVID as it relates to this thread.
    1. It only happened once and the feat was extraordinary enough to make the Bible, a feat no one here can boast.
    2. He had divine help. I don't think I've been blessed with such but can swear there were shots taken by me in the past where the target animal received such.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

oh boy here we go🙄 I guess I should have specified exactly that the given the type of sling used and sling bullets available David's sling would have thrown a 1 to 2 oz lead projectile at somewhere between 55-145fps which by the way is exactly within the range of denting one's head all the way to caving it in. Obviously lower than a modern shotgun slug, clearly there were reasons that armies moved from slingers and archers to firearms.

Slingers were used in warfare up until and including the early introduction of firearms, far more common than archers. In fact, most armies would outfit soldiers with slings, and then have special sling units where highly skilled and more accurate slingers would get longer or handled slings (stave slings) because they had ranges way farther than composite long bows.

Given the investment of linen or leather armors at the time, slingers were far more effective against light infantry than archers.

My point is the perception of what is best and what is actually "best" are often different things.
      Problem with your thoughts here is the story of David killing Goliath is about the giant and remember fully armored from head to toe in bronze being killed by a small Shepard and his little sling shot! If the slingshot as you suggests was as fierce a weapon as you describe then it would have scared Goliath or at least not been as big a story . Also if David would have made a poor shot and hit the helmet David may have been killed that day. My premise in my post was and is always , you can kill with smaller calibers but it’s better for me to use enough gun. Thank you for the history lesson , I have read much in the past on the effective use of slingshots throughout history and different cultures.

Comment

Moral to the story is don’t bring a knife to a gun fight, even if it’s a really big knife and a very small gun.

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
          Moral to the story is don’t bring a knife to a gun fight, even if it’s a really big knife and a very small gun.
          If you do , you better be ordained by god !! This David and Goliath thing would have been a good Monty Python or Mel Brooks reimagining ! I can hear the collective Israelite sigh as the stone skipped off Goliath’s helmet .

Comment

Indiana Jones style

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4DzcOCyHDqc

Comment

Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
              Problem with your thoughts here is the story of David killing Goliath is about the giant and remember fully armored from head to toe in bronze being killed by a small Shepard and his little sling shot! If the slingshot as you suggests was as fierce a weapon as you describe then it would have scared Goliath or at least not been as big a story . Also if David would have made a poor shot and hit the helmet David may have been killed that day. My premise in my post was and is always , you can kill with smaller calibers but it’s better for me to use enough gun. Thank you for the history lesson , I have read much in the past on the effective use of slingshots throughout history and different cultures.
              My point was there was a subtlety to what King Saul did there. The mismatch wasn't in sizes, it was in Wisdom and Faith. David was much wiser than Goliath and had Faith in his God given abilities (and promises from God).

In 1 Samuel 17:34-37 David is trying to convince King Saul to let him fight Goliath and he says:
              “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion (Asiatic lion) or a bear (Syrian Brown Bear) came and carried off a sheep from the flock,I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.

Goliath may have been unnaturally large and strong, but David was out killing lions and bears. Part of the lesson of the story is commending brains over brawn.

I'm not trying to dispute your point, but I think shooting optimization has a lot to with the individual shooter, and with understanding that pretty much all modern centerfire rifles are powerful enough to "kill" game, but it's about killing it cleanly and humanely, and the margin of error when something goes wrong.
              Clearly shot placement trumps power, but for the same reason it's illegal in most places to hunt deer with .22lr we have to shoot the largest most powerful round that will still allow us accurate shot placement. That's why I'm not against the .223rem or .224 Valkyrie as hunting rounds. I think with practice it's completely possible for a shooter to make consistent sub 1moa at 100yds with those rounds. If they aim for say a whitetail's neck, they lose the neck roast but nothing else, and some people don't even take the neck roast (I've heard complaints of being too fatty/greasy).

Comment

Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
                My favorite movie screen of all time!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshott00 View Post

My point was there was a subtlety to what King Saul did there. The mismatch wasn't in sizes, it was in Wisdom and Faith. David was much wiser than Goliath and had Faith in his God given abilities (and promises from God).

In 1 Samuel 17:34-37 David is trying to convince King Saul to let him fight Goliath and he says:
                  “Your servant has been keeping his father’s sheep. When a lion (Asiatic lion) or a bear (Syrian Brown Bear) came and carried off a sheep from the flock,I went after it, struck it and rescued the sheep from its mouth. When it turned on me, I seized it by its hair, struck it and killed it.

Goliath may have been unnaturally large and strong, but David was out killing lions and bears. Part of the lesson of the story is commending brains over brawn.

I'm not trying to dispute your point, but I think shooting optimization has a lot to with the individual shooter, and with understanding that pretty much all modern centerfire rifles are powerful enough to "kill" game, but it's about killing it cleanly and humanely, and the margin of error when something goes wrong.
                  Clearly shot placement trumps power, but for the same reason it's illegal in most places to hunt deer with .22lr we have to shoot the largest most powerful round that will still allow us accurate shot placement. That's why I'm not against the .223rem or .224 Valkyrie as hunting rounds. I think with practice it's completely possible for a shooter to make consistent sub 1moa at 100yds with those rounds. If they aim for say a whitetail's neck, they lose the neck roast but nothing else, and some people don't even take the neck roast (I've heard complaints of being too fatty/greasy).
                  I’m aware of scripture , the bigger picture in David and Goliath . His faith and trust in the lord. I’m aware that a 22 rim fire will kill deer , livestock and bears . Mans Faith in shot placement ! I get recoil concerns , I get better bullets and I really get shot placement however I have as well as most of us saw it go bad in the field. Deflections, last second movement , bones hit etc the list is endless. I’m there to kill em , kill them fast , kill them clean. You do it however you want , no judgement on my part. I’ve said here many times if it’s legal I leave it to the other guy to decide for himself. For me I don’t use anything smaller than 6mm/243 and a well constructed bullet. I have no doubt a well placed 22 cal centerfire will kill deer humanely but I have doubts about human nature.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad