Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old_Sarge
    replied
    I’ve used both brands with a 150gr pill for deer and hogs in the past. I honestly can’t tell a big difference between one over the other. They both shoot very accurately out of my Ruger M77. They’ve both given me good results on whatever I pull the trigger on. I’ve never had bullets blow up, separate, and most time I get a clean past through with both. Since they both perform equally well for me I tend to buy the brand that I can easily lay my booger hooks on. Heck the way things are now if you can find Hornady American whitetail or Rem core-lotk 30-06 ammo you might want to grab 2-3 boxes of it.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Never had a problem with Partitions "blowing up".
    I've had problems with them NOT opening up.
    Went back to Sierra GameKings. Problem solved.
    On light skinned (?) game like whitetails and antelope, a heavily constructed bullet just isn't necessary.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    If I’m reading it right Partitions blow up and Barnes aren’t fancy premium bullets.

Well, ok.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by rock rat View Post

I'd go core lokt if given those two choices. I used to use core lokts and they are very consistent and not overly technical.

It wasn't with Hornady Whitetail but with a much more famous controlled expansion premium bullet that I had one expand before it ever got in. The ribs behind the fore leg were a mess but with no entrance hole. 180 grain. The elk turned around and I ran up on it from the side and put another in it, and a third when it turned around, and I ran closer and put one in the brain stem. Thought I was going to have to beat the thing with my empty rifle.

When I butchered it I found no entrance or exit holes like I normally do in the rib cage but some of the fragments did make it through and into the lungs but with little damage. The third shot was in back of the ribs quartering away some of it went up into the vitals mostly liver. No exit from any of them.

My kid shot a small deer with the 243 and a Berger bullet (100 grain)and it dropped so fast I didn't see it, thought it ran off, looked all around and found it 6 feet from where it was shot, a lot of the lungs and huge blood vessels or whatever blown out the backside. I figure immediate total loss of blood pressure.

Fancy bullets work great when they work, but I'd go for consistency over fancy. Accuracy doesn't matter to me, I don't shoot over 200 yards.

I shoot Barnes 180s in everything. Instantly double in size and exit is same size as entrance when viewing the rib cage. Almost 100% weight retention. I retrieved one and weighed it but that's another story.
    What was the name of that mystery bullet that left no entrance or exit hole ? That is quite a feat, good act for a magician.

Leave a comment:

• rock rat
    replied
    I had partitions blow up on the outside of an animal once and I'll never use them again.

I looked at Pig's link https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...he-30-06-sprg/ and noticed in the story the 165 stopped before exiting, I typically take similar distance shots, 200yds is an easy shot off a rest and my rifle is zeroed at 200, I do like to double lung though as it lets the air out and they will run but not far. All I lose is some rib meat. So I like an exit, and a 180 goes all the way through.

A couple years ago I got impatient waiting for the big cow to turn sideways, biggest cow in the herd and she was quartering towards, the bullet went where I shot but it was at an angle and by the time it went from just behind the shoulder to entering the ribs it was a ways back, it traveled the length of the elk, disintegrated the rear leg bone just below the hip and lodged in the ham. Three feet of elk after going through a rib bone. I think that Barnes lost 1 grain of weight. I don't need faster, and I don't feel recoil, but I do like heavy.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Remington 700 7mm 300 yd target.JPG Views:	1 Size:	556.8 KB ID:	752578 I always found Winchester 180gr power point and Remington Core-Lokt 180gr to work well in the 30-06 when others won't. If you try either and see good results, go back and when they go on sale for around $17 or $18 a box, stock up on boxes and you will be set for years of deer hunting.
    Could not find a 30-06 target but they are the same results as the 7mmRemMag.
    Last edited by jhjimbo; 10-03-2020, 01:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Blake Barnett
    replied
    I have a Remington 710 in 30-06 I picked up cheap years ago. Put it on the bench and ran some Winchester deer hunter 150 grain through it and the groups were 1.5in or so then shot some 165g hornady sst and it got some better then went to 180g sst and it got alot better but not dimes. I knew I was asking alot out of the gun but knew there had to be something better out there. I picked up a box of winchester xp3 and holy crap it turned into a shooter. Dimes at 200 yards off the bench. Sadly they have discontinued this round and that's one of the reasons I'm here trying to find something else. My brothers 770 prefers the 150g. He just settled on the box of Winchester deer hunter that I wasn't going to use. His has always done the job and dropped them but never just crazy damage. I shot a doe once at 300 yards on the last day of rifle season the bullet hit the opposite shoulder and the damage was just unbelievable nearly removing the offside shoulder. Shot 3 for a local farmer about 100 yards away and it left holes in the ribs I could almost put my fist in. He couldn't believe a 30-06 did that and still doesn't to this day swears i was using a 50 cal. I did shoot a few at 60 yards or so and the bullet passed through but didn't do the massive damage as the ones at 100 and beyond. Those ran and piled up about 60 yards away. I don't remember paying attention to the internal damage just remembered thinking the bullet didn't expand. Tho I'm sure I was incorrect on that thought. Just threw me off when I was use to watching everything fall in its tracks. I've never got into reloading but have always found it interesting. Lots of great information here. Thank yall for sharing your experiences! Hope everyone has a great season.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    Pmacc60- Exactly. My old faithful "ugly gun" shoots hot 165 gr. loads. It will put 180 gr. into a group at 200 yds, but that is about it. Not the reliable accuracy I want for deer country where they can hide in brush so deep that buzzards can hardly find them. You don't want a wounded deer to run out of sight in that country. Nor do I want an elk shot that doesn't go down immediately. I've seen how far they can travel, packing a lot of lead. So I go with the most accurate load.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by crm3006 View Post
    From PigHunter- "Hunters should amend the unwritten law they’ve obeyed for years and try 150-grain bullets in the .30-’06 for all big game. They’ll be glad they did when they see how effectively these bullets work on game from antelope to elk."

I would agree that there is very little difference in the downrange impact of a 165 or 180 gr. bullet traveling somewhat slower, than there is in a faster 150 gr. projectile. However, one thing some gun writers fail to consider, is "What load shoots best?" A lot of gun writers seem to think that any given rifle, say, a .30-'06, will shoot any given load. It just ain't so. Different rifles have different barrel harmonics, and some just will not shoot well except with one particular load.
    Great and most important point made here CRM3006!. My rifle loved the 165 gr Nos partitions . It wouldn’t shoot 150’s at all so that’s what I use. One of the great misnomers of the 06 is that it’s versatility is in the fact you can shoot 55 gr sabots to 220 grain bullets in the same rifle and you can just not great accuracy through that whole spectrum .

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    From PigHunter- "Hunters should amend the unwritten law they’ve obeyed for years and try 150-grain bullets in the .30-’06 for all big game. They’ll be glad they did when they see how effectively these bullets work on game from antelope to elk."

I would agree that there is very little difference in the downrange impact of a 165 or 180 gr. bullet traveling somewhat slower, than there is in a faster 150 gr. projectile. However, one thing some gun writers fail to consider, is "What load shoots best?" A lot of gun writers seem to think that any given rifle, say, a .30-'06, will shoot any given load. It just ain't so. Different rifles have different barrel harmonics, and some just will not shoot well except with one particular load.

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Pmacc60 View Post
    Honk you realize the Nosler partition is not new technology , the Partition has been around since 1948 .
    Yes, but those old machined Partitions were terrible expensive. Not a working man's ammo.

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by dewman View Post
    This post had me talking to my uncle in Michigan last night about the old days. Seems everyone shot 180's in their 30-06's & their 300 savages. 170gr only in 30-30's as well. The reason escapes him. He shoots 140 gr. Core-lokts in his 7-08(I converted him) but he won't shoot under 150 gr. in his 270. Hasn't used his 350 legend yet. Other uncle still using slugs.(lightfields) from a rifled barrel. Think he bought a 350 legend as well this year.
    Dewman, we are very close in age and trade Michigan for Pennsylvania and our uncles are on the same page . When I showed my Uncle my new 270 win he told me it was a nice groundhog gun unless I was shooting 150 grain bullets . He shot 180’s in his 06 and every one I knew shot 170’s in their 30-30’s. The truth is those old boys had to shoot a buck and may only have one chance to do so a season. They were not leaving it up to philosophy , they wanted their deer down and dead! When you use heavy bullets construction isn’t as big a deal !

Leave a comment:

• Pmacc60
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post
    I think historically the biggest problem with lighter weight 30-06 bullets was keeping them on track after impact and, of course, excessive exit damage. Heavy 180 gr bullets hit hard and stayed true without making a mess. They carried well enough out to two hundred yards, and back in my day that was the maximum for ethical shooting. Back then getting a close shot was a more admirable accomplishment than taking something with a risky long bomb. Sadly, times have changed (mostly because marketing changed). Now it's all about bang-flop and/or 500 yard shooting. Messing up an animal is no longer a factor.

How much has bullet technology advanced the hunting game? I saw a difference with 165 gr Partitions in Africa last year, most noticeably in the range factor. I made two very long shots that I normally wouldn't take and also one right at or just beyond my normal 180 gr limit. All three animals fell on the spot. It was not my preferred way of doing things but Africa is different. I trusted the PH and he trusted my ability (probably more than I did). It worked. Meat mangling is not a big thing over there. Literally thousands of pounds of meat can be harvested in a day and most is processed into biltong (jerky) or sausage for the market or donated to the local natives, so messing some of it up doesn't matter. Losing an animal is definitely more significant in Africa because the client pays for anything he draws blood from. When that animal is worth thousands (e.g. sable = $4500-$5000) bang-flop becomes an important consideration. In Africa it is a different game with different priorities.

I will be hunting elk again this fall for the first time since 1985. Will I move up (or down?) to a modern high technology 165 gr or stick with the tried and true conventional 180+ gr? A good question. Apparently the conditions where my brother and his crew hunt are favourable for long shots. They all shoot magnums. But I think that's mostly due to the way they choose to hunt rather than what's required. And there are grizzlies in that country too. I really don't think 165 gr is enough for g-bear. 180 gr would not be my choice if I was hunting them but it stands a better chance of stopping one in its tracks if the need arises. So, for various reasons, I think I'll be packing both the 165 gr Partitions and 190 gr Hornady I already have loaded. The latter don't group as well but that won't make a difference within 100 yards. In more open situations I'll be loaded up with the lighter bullet. Shot placement will be foremost in my mind. No need for poor probability desperation shots. I have shot plenty of elk in my life already and a big pile of meat will be more than an old bachelor can handle anyway. I'm primarily along for the hunt. Shooting something is definitely not that important (it never should be). However, doing it right is. I have yet to lose an animal (with one sort of exception) or shoot one in the ham. I'd like to go to my grave with that record intact. And I certainly don't want to screw it up in front of a bunch of other guys.
    Honk you realize the Nosler partition is not new technology , the Partition has been around since 1948 .

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    I think historically the biggest problem with lighter weight 30-06 bullets was keeping them on track after impact and, of course, excessive exit damage. Heavy 180 gr bullets hit hard and stayed true without making a mess. They carried well enough out to two hundred yards, and back in my day that was the maximum for ethical shooting. Back then getting a close shot was a more admirable accomplishment than taking something with a risky long bomb. Sadly, times have changed (mostly because marketing changed). Now it's all about bang-flop and/or 500 yard shooting. Messing up an animal is no longer a factor.

How much has bullet technology advanced the hunting game? I saw a difference with 165 gr Partitions in Africa last year, most noticeably in the range factor. I made two very long shots that I normally wouldn't take and also one right at or just beyond my normal 180 gr limit. All three animals fell on the spot. It was not my preferred way of doing things but Africa is different. I trusted the PH and he trusted my ability (probably more than I did). It worked. Meat mangling is not a big thing over there. Literally thousands of pounds of meat can be harvested in a day and most is processed into biltong (jerky) or sausage for the market or donated to the local natives, so messing some of it up doesn't matter. Losing an animal is definitely more significant in Africa because the client pays for anything he draws blood from. When that animal is worth thousands (e.g. sable = $4500-$5000) bang-flop becomes an important consideration. In Africa it is a different game with different priorities.

I will be hunting elk again this fall for the first time since 1985. Will I move up (or down?) to a modern high technology 165 gr or stick with the tried and true conventional 180+ gr? A good question. Apparently the conditions where my brother and his crew hunt are favourable for long shots. They all shoot magnums. But I think that's mostly due to the way they choose to hunt rather than what's required. And there are grizzlies in that country too. I really don't think 165 gr is enough for g-bear. 180 gr would not be my choice if I was hunting them but it stands a better chance of stopping one in its tracks if the need arises. So, for various reasons, I think I'll be packing both the 165 gr Partitions and 190 gr Hornady I already have loaded. The latter don't group as well but that won't make a difference within 100 yards. In more open situations I'll be loaded up with the lighter bullet. Shot placement will be foremost in my mind. No need for poor probability desperation shots. I have shot plenty of elk in my life already and a big pile of meat will be more than an old bachelor can handle anyway. I'm primarily along for the hunt. Shooting something is definitely not that important (it never should be). However, doing it right is. I have yet to lose an animal (with one sort of exception) or shoot one in the ham. I'd like to go to my grave with that record intact. And I certainly don't want to screw it up in front of a bunch of other guys.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-04-2020, 04:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    This post had me talking to my uncle in Michigan last night about the old days. Seems everyone shot 180's in their 30-06's & their 300 savages. 170gr only in 30-30's as well. The reason escapes him. He shoots 140 gr. Core-lokts in his 7-08(I converted him) but he won't shoot under 150 gr. in his 270. Hasn't used his 350 legend yet. Other uncle still using slugs.(lightfields) from a rifled barrel. Think he bought a 350 legend as well this year.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad