Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buckshott00
    replied
    I just wish I could get a fusion 160-165gr .280rem load. I don't think it's a lot to ask and I have high hopes for the Norma Oryx rounds. Stuff like that makes me want to have it drilled out to .280AI but whatever, maybe one day. Since I have to check zero on that scope anyway... I'm thinking of putting that 5X prism on it...

My 6.8 is about to try some 115gr federal fusions for the first time. I hope she likes it. Might unseat the 120gr hornady loads I've been hunting with.

Me and basically everyone in my deer camp until the younger guys were able to afford to buy their own rifles used 180gr .30-06 to hunt northern whitetails. I can remember my dad actually being concerned about us using 150gr loads one year. I dropped a whitetail on the spot, but to each their own. Guys to this day tell me hunting whitetail with my .300wm is too much, but honestly it's never been an issue and the most meat I've ever lost is blowing out ribs or rarely part of a shoulder.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    "... Hunting loose hogs in greenbriars and blackjacks is a different story. Don't believe I will be out there with just a .22 LR with the pinyrooters and the Russians, and their crossbreeds. ..."

No sir! This little fat black duck either!
    If I'm busting brush for pigs, I prefer at least a .30-30 class cartridge.
    My 6.8mm AR works perfectly....for me.

I've been fortunate in that I've been able to retrieve or have at hand, a .22LR for those unfortunate events.
    I did walk up on a pig trap once with only my .22 Hornet at hand. Flipped the pig over backwards.

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    Originally posted by PigHunter View Post

Jim, I also load for my .308 and it doesn't do well with bullets over 150gr. So, I stick with that weight in .30-06 in order to have common components. I doubt very seriously that an examination of a dead deer will show much difference between the different bullet weights.

The WW2 .30-06 load for the M1 Garand was designated 'Caliber 30, Ball M2' and it had a 150gr bullet.
    M-1 was 174gr. M-2 150gr came about due to practice ranges being too short for the 174gr round.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    From #1 Bubba- "I've cleaned out more than one hog trap with a Ruger "Single Six" using Rem "Golden" .22's. ...and I'm talking some 200 pounders.

Yep. While I generally used a 62A Winchester and CCI MiniMags, a .22 LR is about all you need for trapped hogs, no matter what size. Right between the eye and ear will put their lights out quick. Sick, crippled or dying livestock, I generally used whatever I had, .30-30, .22 pump, .357 rifle or revolver.
    Hunting loose hogs in greenbriars and blackjacks is a different story. Don't believe I will be out there with just a .22 LR with the pinyrooters and the Russians, and their crossbreeds.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by jhjimbo View Post
    A government standard load for the 30-06 is a 168gr. I feel this is the 'balanced' projectile for the 30-06 and although I have loaded some all the way down to 110gr, I think the 170 to 180 is the best projectile for the -06. I have hunted in the Middle East, West and Northeast and always went for the 180gr in the -06.
    Jim, I also load for my .308 and it doesn't do well with bullets over 150gr. So, I stick with that weight in .30-06 in order to have common components. I doubt very seriously that an examination of a dead deer will show much difference between the different bullet weights.

The WW2 .30-06 load for the M1 Garand was designated 'Caliber 30, Ball M2' and it had a 150gr bullet.

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied

I've had dismal results trying to drop feral pigs with a .22LR. However, I've killed two with the .22WMR. One day I met another hunter who had just dropped a pig with the .17HMR - head shot.

I've also killed two deer with subsonic .300BLK. Which is in the handgun range of power.

Professional deer cullers often use the .223 for their work. There's no doubt in my mind that tiny but fast cartridge will work for deer anywhere in North America with the right bullets and shot placement. Heck, some have killed bears with it. Here's one old article I found where a polar bear was dropped by a hunter using an AR in .223

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/03/ar-...#axzz6U3iU1lHM
    I've cleaned out more than one hog trap with a Ruger "Single Six" using Rem "Golden" .22's.
    ...and I'm talking some 200 pounders.
    I've put down my share of dying, sick and crippled livestock.
    Tool of choice?
    Ruger Single-Six or MK IV .22LR.
    Rabbits to horses.

...and "Yes!", properly applied, you can kill a grizzly with a tire iron. Not sure I want to attempt the feat! LOL!

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied
    A government standard load for the 30-06 is a 168gr. I feel this is the 'balanced' projectile for the 30-06 and although I have loaded some all the way down to 110gr, I think the 170 to 180 is the best projectile for the -06. I have hunted in the Middle East, West and Northeast and always went for the 180gr in the -06.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Looking again at my hunting log, I have used the Hornady bullet as well as the Remington in .30-06. Granted, this is a limited sample. But in the field I've seen no difference in performance.

With the Hornady 150gr in handloads...
    > Feral boar at 158 paces, chest shot, expired after a 30-yard run
    > Whitetail doe at 117 paces, chest shot, dropped right there
    > Whitetail buck at 32 paces, double-lung shot, ran over 300 yards before expiring

With the Remington 150gr factory load...
    > Feral sow at 60 paces, head shot, dropped right there
    > Feral boar at 20 paces, chest shot, ran 80 yards and had to be finished with a head shot
    > Whitetail buck at 65 paces, chest shot, ran 20 yards

Leave a comment:

• jhjimbo
    replied

I've had dismal results trying to drop feral pigs with a .22LR. However, I've killed two with the .22WMR. One day I met another hunter who had just dropped a pig with the .17HMR - head shot.

I've also killed two deer with subsonic .300BLK. Which is in the handgun range of power.

Professional deer cullers often use the .223 for their work. There's no doubt in my mind that tiny but fast cartridge will work for deer anywhere in North America with the right bullets and shot placement. Heck, some have killed bears with it. Here's one old article I found where a polar bear was dropped by a hunter using an AR in .223

Years ago (40+) a Indian squaw was pictured in a magazine, maybe American Rifleman, with the huge skin of a brown bear. She killed the bruin with a .22lr.

Leave a comment:

• crm3006
    replied
    From honk the phony- "I think the key phrase in that article is........blah, blah, blah"

The know-nothing expert again gleans his expertise from a magazine article and chimes in with his opinions with no knowledge. I know a couple of guys that use a .204 for "culling." I also could tell a few things about using the .222. Neither of which is germane to the original topic, which was .30-'06 bullets. Use what your rifle likes best, 150, 165, 168, 180, whatever, the '06 will get the job done if put in the right place. Bad shot placement with a .375 H&H will most likely result in a crippled and lost animal.
    Hey honkster, why don't you look through your old magazines and write us another plagiarized outdoor story about the mighty honk?

Leave a comment:

• Ontario Honker Hunter
    replied
    Originally posted by fitch270 View Post
    Petty good write up on deer and the .223

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ight-for-deer/

Almost ten years later you can expect developments in ammo technology have only made things better.
    I think the key phrase in that article is "within its limitations." In the hands of a highly experienced professional deer killer it may be an effective tool. He is culling hundreds of deer at close range that likely aren't hunter savvy. Maybe even at night with lights. Probably over bait. The average hunter who has little or no experience with "limitation" factors should be using a bullet that is more forgiving for different presentations encountered in "average hunting" situations.
    Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; 08-03-2020, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fitch270
    replied
    Petty good write up on deer and the .223

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...ight-for-deer/

Almost ten years later you can expect developments in ammo technology have only made things better.

Leave a comment:

• PigHunter
    replied
    Originally posted by Ontario Honker Hunter View Post

I have indeed seen Texas whitetails.

Ah, again the expert with no expertise. And how many moose have you killed with a .22LR? Or killed with anything? Har, har, har. Perhaps a grizzly can also be killed with a slingshot? Looking forward your video demonstration. I submit even a little Texas whitetail deer could be more effectively killed with a tire iron than a .22LR. Blunt force blow placement is more important than lack of bore diameter and gunpowder.

Leave a comment:

• dewman
    replied
    BUCKSHOTTOO: I shot 140 gr partitions out of my 7-08 for years, no complaints. When Fusions came out I gave them a try as they were an interesting concept. I got the same penetration, the same expansion and damage, with noticeably bigger exits for less money. I love exits. I'm a two hole kinda guy. All for less money. Due to a quirk I found myself trying 120 gr Nosler bt's last year. Two deer, two holes each. Other than bigger exits I can't see the difference with a confirmed and logged 60+ head of game. I stand with PMACC60 on the power issue. I believe more deer escape every year because the hunter waits for a perfect shot angle that never comes or from bad shots taken than anything else. Both situations handled nicely with a bump in power and the confidence it gives. The less you worry about your rig, the more focus on making the shot good. As always JUST MY TWO CENTS. Stay safe

Leave a comment:

• FirstBubba
    replied
    Pmacc60, I've killed one deer with a Nosler Partition.
    Wild experience! The deer acted as if I had missed. I'll wager the bullet never opened up and continued on until it ran out of steam or into a tree! LOL!
    Partitions may have an edge for larger animals, but for whitetails, I won't use them.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad