.350 legend scope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .350 legend scope

Recently purchased a Ruger American rifle in .350 legend for deer hunting in Iowa, wondering what scope would work well on it?

According to Wikipedia, Winchester, the cartridge's designer, claims that the .350 Legend is the fastest production straight-walled hunting cartridge in the world. It is designed for deer hunting out to a maximum effective range of 250 yards.

So, hitting deer at that range really doesn't warrant going too high on the magnification. A 2-7x or a 3-9x should be just fine. But you will want good glass and coatings if you're needing to count antler points or shoot in low light.

I like Leupold scopes but have had good luck with Vortex and Nikon too. Nikon is getting out of the scope business so there's some good sales on them right now.

What's your budget?

Comment

How about one made & calibrated just for it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	737551

Comment

T'were it me, and since you asked, I would hang a Leupold 1.5-5 scope on that rifle.
        ​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by PigHunter View Post
          According to Wikipedia, Winchester, the cartridge's designer, claims that the .350 Legend is the fastest production straight-walled hunting cartridge in the world. It is designed for deer hunting out to a maximum effective range of 250 yards.

So, hitting deer at that range really doesn't warrant going too high on the magnification. A 2-7x or a 3-9x should be just fine. But you will want good glass and coatings if you're needing to count antler points or shoot in low light.

I like Leupold scopes but have had good luck with Vortex and Nikon too. Nikon is getting out of the scope business so there's some good sales on them right now.

What's your budget?
          I’m willing to invest in good glass but was trying to stay sub $300

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
            How about one made & calibrated just for it? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1726.PNG
Views:	44
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	737551
            Haven’t heard of straka before. Have you shot them?

Comment

Originally posted by Amflyer View Post
              T'were it me, and since you asked, I would hang a Leupold 1.5-5 scope on that rifle.
              ​​​​
              That's a good suggestion. My .357 Maximum has about the same trajectory as the .350 Legend, and I have a 1.5-4.5x scope on it. But, I've been hunting two seasons with the .300 Blackout and the 2-7x seems just right for it too.

Comment

Another vote for a Leupold.
                Their "Freedom" series are the old "VX-I" series.
                Leupold "Freedom" 3-9×40 is in the neighborhood of $250.
                I'm shooting 2 "Freedom" series and both are great scopes.
                Besides the 3-9×40, I have a 1.5-4×20. Both are on AR15's.

I've never heard of Straka either. Requires a bit of investigation.
                I currently have one Vortex "Crossfire II" on a .308 (AR10).
                The Vortex is not a bad scope for the money and service is very amenable....but for a few more bucks, you can get a Leupold "Freedom" and have a better scope.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion. I spelled it wrong fellas, it's STYRKA. Honestly, no I'm a Leupold man myself but recently my brother was shooting in his new Vortex with his work pal who had a Leupold freedom and they couldn't get his to track right. Bro told me the adjustments were very mushy. They couldn't get it where they wanted. He was going to have me look at it but his pal sent it back before I could. And honestly the latest vx2's were the last ones I bought and they aren't made anymore. All my others are considered "vintage" I think. The reviews for the Styrka seem pretty good. Vortex does well and I think they'll be the new Nikon or Leupold of the future if they keep their quality & customer service up. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by dewman View Post
                    Sorry for the confusion. I spelled it wrong fellas, it's STYRKA. Honestly, no I'm a Leupold man myself but recently my brother was shooting in his new Vortex with his work pal who had a Leupold freedom and they couldn't get his to track right. Bro told me the adjustments were very mushy. They couldn't get it where they wanted. He was going to have me look at it but his pal sent it back before I could. And honestly the latest vx2's were the last ones I bought and they aren't made anymore. All my others are considered "vintage" I think. The reviews for the Styrka seem pretty good. Vortex does well and I think they'll be the new Nikon or Leupold of the future if they keep their quality & customer service up. Just my 2 cents.
                    dewman, note of caution!

I bought my very first Leupold VX-I about 1977 or 78 and put it on my brand spanking new (?) Parker-Hale .270 Win! Dude would shoot lights out and killed alot of deer with it.
                    About 2015, I figured my old VX-I could use a little Leupold "tune up & cleaning".
                    My idea was they would just clean it up, install new seals, recharge it and it would be good for another 30+ years!
                    Dog gone their ornery hides!
                    They sent me a new Leupold "Freedom" 3-9×40 instead of servicing my old VX-I and returning it!

Down in the depths of my "gun stuff", there sits a brand spanking new Leupold VX-I 3-9×40 still wrapped in cellophane!

Comment

A 1-4 or 1-5 will do everything you need.
                      Invest in as much quality as you can for your budget.

Comment

Stryka looked at one and was not impressed. My vote goes to leupold. Look around and you can find a vx3i 3.5-10x40 for about 299 before tax and shipping. I absolutely love mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                          Stryka looked at one and was not impressed. My vote goes to leupold. Look around and you can find a vx3i 3.5-10x40 for about 299 before tax and shipping. I absolutely love mine.
                          That is a great scope. I've got that exact model on my .308

Comment

Originally posted by Milldawg View Post
                            I have not actually looked at a Stryka scope, but a Leupold isn't THAT much more expensive at Optics Planet.
                            Plus, the Stryka scopes I saw online have too many "geegaws" for me.
                            I'm a "set it and forget it" type shooter! LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by FirstBubba View Post

I have not actually looked at a Stryka scope, but a Leupold isn't THAT much more expensive at Optics Planet.
                              Plus, the Stryka scopes I saw online have too many "geegaws" for me.
                              I'm a "set it and forget it" type shooter! LOL!
                              Yep that many features at that price make it suspect in my eyes. They used to have a model 3x9x40 with side focus knob. It was not impressive the clicks were very mushy and the eye box left lots to be desired.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                by rock rat
                                OK Angus, you got me there. No argument about the schools.

"​​​​​​government run daycare that teaches kids what to think...
                                Today, 09:35 PM
                              • Medicaid Comes to Oklahoma
                                by rock rat
                                A little mentioned ballot measure passed in Oklahoma. Medicaid Expansion as it's called.

I've forgotten the details, and apologies if I...
                                07-01-2020, 11:02 PM
                              • Reply to Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by rock rat
                                CRM what you say makes a lot of sense, and the number of tests has doubled in 21 days as have the number of people testing positive. There's one more...
                                Today, 09:26 PM
                              • Bad news on the COVID-19 front
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                New cases and hospitalizations ballooned this week in several states including Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Mississippi. Hospitals in Houston are...
                                06-24-2020, 08:09 PM
                              • Reply to Either Way...
                                by fitch270
                                We've been keeping a better inventory on things and have whittled down on "old stock" that's been sitting on the pantry shelves and in the freezer....
                                Today, 09:17 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X