Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first son is into rifles my second son is into archey. Whats a good bow and pound to start with? By the way i have one more s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first son is into rifles my second son is into archey. Whats a good bow and pound to start with? By the way i have one more s

My first son is into rifles my second son is into archey. Whats a good bow and pound to start with? By the way i have one more son whos not ready yet. Who knows what he will be into!

I'm 19 and started shooting bows at age 16... I started out with a PSE Bruin, and same with my little brother who is 12. He just got a newer Bruin also. They are very easy to use and have a low poundage. Most Archery shops offer a full package with, sights, rest, and quiver. They are also fairly cheap! Good luck with you sons!

Comment

You don't say how old they are. Regardless the best solution is to go to a Mathews pro-shop for advice. The pro will measure his draw length and evaluate the lad's strength to choose the right bow. Mathews makes several models that are excellent for kids and teens. Did that for my daughter and she loves the bow. Google Mathews, go to the website and there is a locater for your nearest Pro-shop. Nothing is more defeating than trying to shoot a bow that is too heavy or does not fit.

Comment

BTW I have owned many bows. Mathews is my all time favorite. So far have bagged 8 deer and 1 Turkey with my current bow.

Comment

Take him to a range or local archery shop and see what he feels comfortable with. Most people working there can help you with any more further questions. www.huntersfriend.com might even help.

Comment

I bet the third son turns out to be a fisherman.

Comment

Diamond bows have the largest draw lenght adjustment of any bow on the market. As the boy gets older you can increase the draw length.

Comment

he'll like blackpowder

Comment

i've just starrted using a bow i'm looking foward towards turkey season this spring but i also love hunting with guns so your so might be both which is good because he will learn from both stragties of hunting

Comment

The brand of bow is really going to depend on preference and price, as for draw length I started out with a 45lb draw when I was 16 it. Most bows pull weight is adjustable, so I would go with something in that wieght class. I was able to harvest a mule deer at 40 yards no problem with that wieght. My bow is a hoyt and I love it.

Comment

The Genesis bow is a great bow to start off with i hear. Its very adjustable.

Comment

A parker Buckshot or a PSE Deer Hunter would be a good starter bow. But you should take him to an archery pro shop before you buy him a bow.

Comment

The third son will like bird hunting.

Comment

Agreed with Del in KS answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Mathews!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad